Sign in to follow this  
MrJoeBarbarian

Claim flag possible rework / addition.

First time posting here so if I've failed any forum etiquette my apologies.

Some back story as to why I'm suggesting this, skip if you're not interested.
I'm from a small company on a PvP server, there is only a handful of us, say about 5/6 of us. In less than 2 weeks we've been raided 3 times. We're in pretty bad shape after two 6+ hour fights and one at the last 30 minutes of the fight in our harbour 1(us) vs 10(them) a couple days after a raid that almost cost us the island and our defences weren't fully repaired. We're pretty demoralised at this point as we're suspecting another attack this weekend that we're not prepared for and our members are drained of energy and have lost the will to fight.

Onto the idea.
Idea 1a:
Make the cost of the island reflect it's combat timer, I'm not asking for an easy life, consider making 15 points islands only have a 4 hours combat timer scaling up to 122 point islands have 12 hours.

Why do I think my idea would work: I believe it'll help smaller companies to own smaller islands and make them easier to defend, space is important when it comes to smaller islands, build too much you lose out on resources.

Who & How would this benefit players: This would benefit smaller companies that only need a small amount of space but feel ready they can take an island for themselves and stick their flag in a sandcastle. This would also benefit companies going to fight larger companies as their attack window would be larger which a company with a larger player base should be able to support this.

Can this be exploited, If so why and how would you combat it: Bigger companies could claim smaller islands to store their ship. As they would have longer protection time compared to other larger islands. Please Refer to Idea 2 for a remedy for this.

Idea 1b: Consider splitting up the combat timers but only for islands that are 8 hours or more combat timers. Lets say a 57 point island has a 8 hour combat timer, the owner can split that up into 2 sets of 4 hours. A much larger island that costs 122 you could have 2 sets of 6 hour combat timers.

Why do I think my idea would work: Larger companies have a much larger spread of players and times they play, so they are more capable of defending an island if it's going to be attacked. Smaller companies don't have that luxury, nor do they have the luxury of having players around that can fight off a larger force for an extended period of time.

Who & How would this benefit players: This would help promote recruiting players of all time zones. Instead  of companies cherry picking playing because it suits them best.

Can this be exploited, if so why and how would you combat it: The only issue I foresee is if the attacking force sets up a FOB on an island during the rest period the owner of the island can just go down and demo their FOB, I'm not sure how to combat this issue.

Idea 2: Set a ship protected limit based on the island points and ship types that are anchored. Just some random numbers, subject to change and open to suggestion.
0 points - Rafts and Sloops
2 points - Schooners
3 points - Brigatines
5 points - Galleons
The first ships anchored gets the protected status of peace phase.

Why do I think my idea would work: It'll hopefully stop harbour spam where people store 40-50 ships in a harbour and it's perfectly fine they are all protected. It'll make larger groups expand for more territory to house them all.

Who & How would this benefit players: This would benefit everyone, larger companies won't have much interest in claiming smaller islands, also it'll remove using smaller islands as a staging point to attack a larger force using the peace phase to keep those ships safe. 

Can this be exploited, if so why and how would you combat it: I don't see an issue with idea being exploited but I'm open to criticism.

The end goal here is to help smaller companies get established and grow so I'm open to ideas to make this happen.

Edited by MrJoeBarbarian
  • Like 1

I see large companies getting lots of small islands, staggering thier raid timers and still protecting as many ships as 1 or 2 larger islands.

Solution: don't just give companies island points, also give them a band of what island point they can spend on an island, the larger they get the more islands they just can't claim.

This will give all companies a decision when growing in size, wether to grow and have to move to a larger island.