Sign in to follow this  
Askren

No one care, but saying it anyway; I just don't see the point.

Bear in mind, I never played Ark or any other survival MMOs in a serious manner. I messed around with Conan singleplayer for a while but that's all.

And I just don't see myself ever wanting to play this game. You literally NEED a group of at least 5 if not a dozen friends to play with because one person can do nothing in the world. Even getting off the starter island is multiple hours of work, but that's not why I'm shelving this game forever. It's because that multiple hours means nothing as soon as you die. Your stuff is gone, your progress is gone, and you get to start over. On the same island, trying to make the same raft, to sail to nowhere.

What exactly is the point? Am I supposed to enjoy losing all my stuff over and over? Is starting fresh and never leaving the zone fun? Is that the central nugget of gameplay I have to enjoy to find this satisfying?

I'm unsure, but from what I've seen this isn't really a game so much as it's a bunch of tools and no care about whether they work or not because when you pile enough people in, some of those people will make their own fun out of it, regardless of how the rest of the crowd ends up.

Anyway good luck with the game.

Well this game is certainly better with a group of players. It does not take long to get off the starter Island. It's EA and just launched there still working out the bugs and particulars which would include death and respawn mechanics. I Understand your frustration but this is what you can get with EA Games, can require patience. I'm playing because it's fun and I'm expecting issues and wipes. This game may not be for you 😀

1 hour ago, Askren said:

Bear in mind, I never played Ark or any other survival MMOs in a serious manner. I messed around with Conan singleplayer for a while but that's all.

And I just don't see myself ever wanting to play this game. You literally NEED a group of at least 5 if not a dozen friends to play with because one person can do nothing in the world. Even getting off the starter island is multiple hours of work, but that's not why I'm shelving this game forever. It's because that multiple hours means nothing as soon as you die. Your stuff is gone, your progress is gone, and you get to start over. On the same island, trying to make the same raft, to sail to nowhere.

What exactly is the point? Am I supposed to enjoy losing all my stuff over and over? Is starting fresh and never leaving the zone fun? Is that the central nugget of gameplay I have to enjoy to find this satisfying?

I'm unsure, but from what I've seen this isn't really a game so much as it's a bunch of tools and no care about whether they work or not because when you pile enough people in, some of those people will make their own fun out of it, regardless of how the rest of the crowd ends up.

Anyway good luck with the game.

Official servers are always harder because the gathering/leveling etc stats are set to 1. If you play on unofficial/private/dedicated servers those are usually higher making it more SP friendly. 

• Like 1

Try out unofficial for a bit. The gathering, taming, and experience rates can all be changes in the server configuration (though that depends on if you're hosting your own or if someone else is hosting it). It's really not bad. Forewarning: Try to find an unofficial with multiple server clusters or you'll find yourself capped at level 8 and with nowhere to really go.

The game is a lot of fun when you can move at your own pace. There are multiple ways to play this game. You might eventually find a group that will recruit you on official, and after that, the game becomes more about war and territory claiming. This can be a really fun, RP and combat heavy experience, if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck!