Sign in to follow this  
capn_creepy

Sail Plans? Been around centuries, can we have them?

I'd like to make a suggestion for the sails in this game. 

Atlas currently has 3 sail types. While the ones that exist are decent looking, and allow visual customization, i think the game would benefit greatly from offering a more complete and realistic set of sail options. Ideally since the practice of designing sails on ships already has a name and storied history in the real world you could just emulate the "Sail Plan" with a ui inside the shipyard or inside the ship itself. 

Types of sail that can be part of a sail plan can be broadly classed by how they are attached to the sailing craft:

To a stay – Sails attached to stays, include jibs, which are attached to forestays and staysails, which are mounted on other stays (typically wire cable) that support other masts from the bow aft.
To a mast – Fore-and-aft sails directly attached to the mast at the luff include gaff-rigged quadrilateral and Bermuda triangular sails.
To a spar – Sails attached to a spar include both square sails and such fore-and-aft quadrilateral sails as lug rigs, junk and spritsails and such triangular sails as the lateen, and the crab claw.
To a halyard – Spinnakers are the predominant sail supported solely by a halyard.

I know this is considerably more depth than exists today and likely would require an overhaul of the sail mechanic in game to make this work, but it would provide for infinite variation in appearance of ships and allow to build much more purpose built ships. Building a ship for weight carrying should be a complete overhaul from a gunship but in today's atlas meta, pretty much everyone uses the same one or two configs and they are not aesthetically pleasing. Even if the above design options only added cosmetic flair, it would be a welcomed improvement, but ideally it would govern the performance of the ship as well.