I really would like to buy the game but before I buy the game I would like to know if I am able to make a server for myself? It doesn't have to be a paid sever and I don't mind doing offline servers. But I need a server that I will not have to worry about losing my stuff and someone taking it while I'm gone. I have a full-time job and kids so my times of playing games are limited to certain days. I don't want to start off on the game and pay for a server not knowing anything yet. But at the same time if I wanted to invite friends(if I ever make friends) I want to be able to add them to it as well.

Edited by Reiu89

You can host your own dedicated server, but you need some good gear to do so. There are already very good guides out about this. 

You can rent one at sites like nitrado and gportal, which is (if you’re gonna play alone or with a max of 10 players)  around 10 euro per month per grid. You can customize those grids yourself with the map editor. 

Or you can join a community PvE servers that are friendly, but then you will always have the problem that you never know when they will stop keeping the server running. 

Edited by Percieval