Hi all,

Im quite new to this, but I have a few questions about map sizes.

If i download the servergrideditor, and use the premade ones, it shows me a unreal unit size of 1400000 units.

My first question, how big is this compared to an ark map?

My second question, if I would increase this size, would it be much more demanding on my hardware? And if so, how much?
If I would increase the map size from 140 to 560 (4x) would it be as demanding as a 4 grid server?

I plan on playing solo but I want a big map to play on, so there will always be just 1 player connected to the server.

Thanks!

From watching cpjet64 video, I think 1 grid is about 2x the size of the Ragnarok map. And you don't want to increase the grid size past that value.

3 minutes ago, Lynx said:

From watching cpjet64 video, I think 1 grid is about 2x the size of the Ragnarok map. And you don't want to increase the grid size past that value.

Okay thanks,

Why wouldn't I want to increase that? 

8 minutes ago, Cronic said:

Why wouldn't I want to increase that?

I don't remember exactly what he said in the video.

13 minutes ago, Lynx said:

I don't remember exactly what he said in the video.

Okay thanks

Anything from Grapeshot saying that they might add dynamic server rendering (or whatever it is called) like NMS does for example?

That way the only thing that would be loaded is what players are seeing instead of the entire map.

As to why you don't want to add more than a 2x2, that's 4 servers. If you host 4 servers on the same box, you're looking at the possibility of up to 28GB of RAM (maybe even more). The RAM usage, that I've noticed, largely depends on how much one grid has going on. I ran a 1x2 last night, with one server having a fair amount of stuff, and one grid having just one basic island, and the RAM usage was quite low. You could probably add some bare grids in between if you were going for size, but dead ocean doesn't sound very exciting. I'm sure as things progress, the server load will decrease. Hopefully they'll add something of the kind as @Cronic mentioned. Or maybe a way to "sleep" or "hibernate" unused server grids. CPU usage for both of my grids stayed the same, at about 20% each. I host on an AMD FX-8370 and 16GB of DDR3, so hardware will be your limitation.

1 hour ago, LUC1F3R said:

As to why you don't want to add more than a 2x2, that's 4 servers. If you host 4 servers on the same box, you're looking at the possibility of up to 28GB of RAM (maybe even more). The RAM usage, that I've noticed, largely depends on how much one grid has going on. I ran a 1x2 last night, with one server having a fair amount of stuff, and one grid having just one basic island, and the RAM usage was quite low. You could probably add some bare grids in between if you were going for size, but dead ocean doesn't sound very exciting. I'm sure as things progress, the server load will decrease. Hopefully they'll add something of the kind as @Cronic mentioned. Or maybe a way to "sleep" or "hibernate" unused server grids. CPU usage for both of my grids stayed the same, at about 20% each. I host on an AMD FX-8370 and 16GB of DDR3, so hardware will be your limitation.

Okay thanks man, Yeah i really hope that they would change that because then you are able to have all the content in 1 server.

I will just go through some trial and error trying stuff out, but hosting a bigger map would be more fun ofcourse.

Meaby ill try hosting 1 server with just 2 small islands on it, and then 1 more server where i can change the islands so that i keep my base in server 1 and be able to explore server 2. (not sure if this will work since meaby my progress on both servers will get wiped idk, seems good to try out though).

Have a great new year everyone.

This weekend I might play around and fire up a 2x2, or a 3x3 and see how it does. But I don't think there's any one personal user that's going to be able to host a 15x15 off a single box as it stands right now. I probably have the PCs with needed hardware to throw together a large map, but I'll be damned if I wanna go through all that work... I'm a lazy slob.

If it's a single player, a third party may have tools like this: when you plan to enter the next grid, it will close the grid behind you and open the grid you want to go to. Your computer can open two grids at the same time, at least manually. Of course, you have time to wait for the server to start when you cross the grid, but at least you can cross the world in this way.

1 minute ago, qqjp said:

If it's a single player, a third party may have tools like this: when you plan to enter the next grid, it will close the grid behind you and open the grid you want to go to. Your computer can open two grids at the same time, at least manually. Of course, you have time to wait for the server to start when you cross the grid, but at least you can cross the world in this way.

This would be so awesome for single player mode.

11 hours ago, qqjp said:

Yeah something like that would be good to, do you know if this is possible right now?

1 hour ago, Cronic said:

Yeah something like that would be good to, do you know if this is possible right now?

You can operate it manually by yourself.

But you have to be familiar with the coordinates of the map, and it's a bit cumbersome to operate.

In addition, I can edit larger grids, and sea water does not occupy much memory. You can build a vast ocean and add islands according to the amount of memory in your computer, but I don't know if there will be any bad consequences.

1 hour ago, qqjp said:

In addition, I can edit larger grids, and sea water does not occupy much memory. You can build a vast ocean and add islands according to the amount of memory in your computer, but I don't know if there will be any bad consequences.

Okay thanks, ill just try some things.

It think its a good idea to make 2 servers, 1 grid as spawn island and 1 more island, and then use the second grid as a rotation map or something. As long as progress will be saved on server 1 like buildings and stuff i think its a good solution.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:11 PM, qqjp said:

Ocean stay on the 1 400 000 gridsize Only, past that limit ther's nothing Underwater than a bugged, invisible floor, and islands are bugged AF too (not the materials but all animals are stuck under the floor)