Sign in to follow this  
Shithouse

A way to save a lost character.

I've found one way to retrieve lost characters on official servers. I have tested this method and know it can work for PC players who lost their character in grid. I haven't been able to test it for people who lost their characters between grids because I haven't been able to recreate that problem. I believe it should save characters lost between grids.

The problem I found is that something in the "Saved" folder of the game is becoming corrupt. This folder is used on our end to track some character information and is sync'd with the servers. Yes most the character information is stored server side but enough of it is stored in your saved folder to cause major problems.

The solution is to use a txt file located in your "Saved" folder to obtain the IP address of the last grid your character was in then use steam launch options to connect directly to that server. This should resync your character information with the servers.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Saved

Or if your game is on another drive navigate to that location.

In the "Saved" folder is a text file named LastServerConnectStringCache_(bunch of numbers).txt this file stores the information of the last known location of your last used character. Have someone else use this file to find the IP address of the last grid your character was in. If jumping grids when you lost your character you should try both grids IPs, I haven't tested this as I said.

Once you have the IP of the grid your character was lost in go to Steam-ATLAS-Properties-SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... and input +connect (IP of grid your character was lost in) and launch ATLAS. Example: +connect 10.69.666.420:1337

If done properly ATLAS will automatically connect to the server and sync your info, it may take a minute.

Hope this helps, I have been trying to share this on discord and get other people to test. I have saved my character a few times now by backing up my "Saved" folder and replacing it when my character was lost. Now that I found this method I just have to know the IP of the last grid and I can bring it back.

On a side note I believe the corrupted files in the "Saved" folder are potentially due to using an m.2 drive and or indexing service.

It  is unfortunately irrelevant now as I have tried to find my lost schooner (lost when transiting between zones E2 and E3) with a raft and therefore my last visit to both zones will on on that. And lets be honest I am not going to get it back by submitting a ticket.  I don't think there is anyone to read them anyway.

Edited by Garfi