Sign in to follow this  
CyanicEmber

Atlas Journal II: QoL and Small Additions

I'll expand this over time, but for now I have three suggestions that I think would benefit the game.

1. Winches: currently, there are a ton of vertical stretches which require some effort to ascend without the use of a crab, which is very late game. Once you get up to these areas, you are fairly regularly rewarded with rare materials that can't be found elsewhere in the grid, or even the surrounding grids. To make getting up and down easier, players have three main options, build and elevator system which is a hefty investment of time and resources, build a ramp system with supports and cliff-platforms, which is an equally heavy investment (if not greater), or build a zipline system (which can't be operated when encumbered). But given the era and technology level that these Pathfinders have access to, there should be a fourth option for those who don't need to build that much infrastructure. If all you need to do is lift and lower items instead of people and animals, a winch system which can be extended by means of a craft able rope would certainly do the trick, it could lower items extremely quickly for off-load, and raise up quickly once it was empty, or slowly if still full. 
  2. Writs of Cessation: Now for solo/duo / small company player QoL, in many cases, these players will find themselves forging amicable relations with larger companies and have a desire to join them on expeditions for various purposes. Since you cannot spawn on Allied beds or use any allied structures whatsoever, this can prove to be extraordinarily risky. My suggestion is to offer "Writs of Cessation" at Freeport with various price points corresponding to increasing time intervals. The basic premise is that this is a legal document that states that the company is temporarily halting it's business operations, but will remain open as long as the Writ is Returned to a Freeport within the given time frame. Essentially, using a writ you could leave a company with zero members and it will continue to exist until the Writ expires. If you turn it in prior to that expiration you will immediately be returned to your company no worse for the wear. This would make joint ventures much easier to conduct logistically and encourage co-operation between companies.
  3. Tame Aggression: Taming QoL, as it stands, there are many easily accessible whistle options for changing your tames aggression level on the fly, but in many cases you are unable to press the button you're looking for before whatever situation your facing gets seriously out of hand. This is particularly true when you're looking to tame something, (which if it's a high level is in inherently high stress situation) often you will be swiped during the feeding process and any tames you have nearby will turn aggressive against the bola'd target, causing you to lose the tame. While whistles have high utility, I have found that having to switch between aggression levels leads to a lot of headdesking, and in some cases you'll even lose tames because you forget to take them off Passive. IMO, this could all be solved simply by making it so that tames NEVER turn aggressive towards bola'd creatures, period. Maybe this would be more complicated to implement than I am thinking, but if it can be done without too too much effort, I think it would be great.

More later! Feedback/Discussion welcomed.