Sign in to follow this  
kilonkasio

New claim flag abilities suggestion/rant

With the recent patches we now have the ability to pay and feed crew from the flag itself. Awesome, great, lot of people asked for this. Me personally though I did not. Now I say this but I do like the ability to -feed- all crew on an island from the flag. My issue is with the gold. Generally, all my crews of mine and my company members are paid via the chest they are near. If someone forgets to put gold in there ship, too bad they should of. Yeah little bit of a dick move but hey if they want to build a galleon all for themselves and crew it, they oughta take into consideration the maintenance of said ship. Now with the flag being able to feed these crews and supply them with gold, I have to stay on top of whos parking their massive ships on the island and disappearing. 

I use a spreadsheet to calculate our gold income and outgoing. Generally I pick a day, check out storage and start plugging numbers. Then I take X amount of gold for the flag itself, Y amount for the main base itself and its AI then Z amount for outer defenses and divide that up. That way when I'm done with my 10 minute check, I'm good for a week, 2 weeks, how ever long I plan ahead for. I don't have to bother with the gold until a specific day and exact time. Now with the new system, I have to constantly check it...... every....damn..... day..... So where everyone think awesome I don't have to do anything, think about the larger companies that have random slackers that don't want to actually go out and collect gold.

My suggestion is to create an option to use the new features. Have the option to feed them, an option to pay them. Simple and easy. For me personally I'd use the flag to feed them as it does create a central larder and this is something I have to do everyday anyways. But I would not pay the AI on the island using the flag. I would stick to my way of using my spreadsheet and putting X, Y, and Z amount in a resource box near them to cover X amount of time.

Edited by kilonkasio

- Claim Flags now have a toggleable setting in Settlements mode which allows Settlement owners to choose whether to pay and feed the NPC Crew for allies or everyone settled on the island. This will be displayed in the top-right hand corner HUD. A single + means ally crew will take gold/food from claim flags. ++ means everyone will take gold/food from the claim flag. A lack of + means that only the settlement owner's crew will be able to take good/food from claim flags.

I haven't finished downloading the update, but (call me a cynic) I think we know what the default setting is going to be when the servers come up.

Edited by Kast