Sign in to follow this  
Bezdolnik

Dynamically Changing Resources

I'm sure the developers have internally discussed this idea and there are some pros and cons to it but I would like to see what other people think of it.

I think there could at least be a mode where resources across ATLAS would be globally finite but dynamically depleting and shifting to other islands and grids.  It would truly throw a curveball to the game dynamic and I think the one benefit is that this would address the criticism that the game currently is not encouraging enough movement across the seas.  So a big clan would for example control a large gem deposit, but after some weeks this resource would deplete.  Now they would have to go search for this resource in another area, maybe it would end up in the backyard of a lucky small group, or a competing clan, or in the middle of nowhere.  This would be a natural way for wars, trading, or logistical movement to be increased.

Now one inevitable problem that would arise is that the randomness of where the next resources appear would of course provide some luck to some clans, but that would have to be the nature of the mechanic.  Another problem is that this would be more frustrating for smaller groups so perhaps this would be a feature that would be done on a server more suited towards empire or 'hardcore' gameplay.

Edited by Bezdolnik