odies

Important questions about dedicated server CPU

Hello friends. I am very confused and I need your help. I open the server in Russia and now I'm stuck between the choice. On the one hand, I have experience with game servers and I know that processor performance is more important than the number of cores. But this concerns game servers using one core. I want to open a large map in the area from 36 to 96 cells (as you increase online, the number of dedicated servers will increase). Now it is very important for me to know. Which is better to use for a big card. For example, two Xeon processor server (20 cores, 40 3.0-3.2GHz streams, 128 GB RAM) or a cluster of three i7-7700K 5GHz, 64GB RAM?

36 minutes ago, odies said:

Hello friends. I am very confused and I need your help. I open the server in Russia and now I'm stuck between the choice. On the one hand, I have experience with game servers and I know that processor performance is more important than the number of cores. But this concerns game servers using one core. I want to open a large map in the area from 36 to 96 cells (as you increase online, the number of dedicated servers will increase). Now it is very important for me to know. Which is better to use for a big card. For example, two Xeon processor server (20 cores, 40 3.0-3.2GHz streams, 128 GB RAM) or a cluster of three i7-7700K 5GHz, 64GB RAM?

Personally i'd go with the i7-7700K's as their clock for clock performance will be better, this is especially useful for higher populated servers. I previously used a Xeon for Ark servers and regretted it as they suffered when under high load. For my ATLAS cluster i now use a i9 9900K.

I'm assuming your two options are from kit you already own? If not and your looking to buy new then it would be useful to know the budget 🙂 I'd also suggest considering the AMD Threadripper lineup, they are clocked well and have a huge surplus of cores. (Not as good single thread performance as the i7/i9 but they are decent and well priced.)

• Thanks 1

It was good answer. But how about Xeon with 3.8Ghz for unofficial server with max 80 players per grid? 

5 minutes ago, odies said:

It was good answer. But how about Xeon with 3.8Ghz for unofficial server with max 80 players per grid? 

Couldn't really say without knowing more info and even then it's one of those things that you won't know for sure until you try. 

Would depend on how modern the Xeon is, clock speed isn't everything especially if the architecture is older. Also it would depend on how many CPU cores the xeon has vs how many grids you plan on running. 

53 minutes ago, Shadowsong said:

Couldn't really say without knowing more info and even then it's one of those things that you won't know for sure until you try. 

Would depend on how modern the Xeon is, clock speed isn't everything especially if the architecture is older. Also it would depend on how many CPU cores the xeon has vs how many grids you plan on running. 

It's sample 2x E5-2690v2 (benchmark https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2690+v2+%40+3.00GHz&id=2057

How many grids? - 1 core for windows, per grid 2 cores / 10 GB RAM 

24 minutes ago, odies said:

It's sample 2x E5-2690v2 (benchmark https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2690+v2+%40+3.00GHz&id=2057

How many grids? - 1 core for windows, per grid 2 cores / 10 GB RAM 

I imagine you will be fine if you stick with that logic of 2 cores/10GB per grid. You can always reduce the server tick should the need arise, i currently run mine at 20 but you can go down to 15 (like official) if needed. That drops CPU usage a fair bit which is useful for high population.

• Thanks 1