Hello, after two different attempts with testing, I have discovered an issue with breeding that involves the babies going into stasis.
First, let me say that I am aware of the breeding requirements regarding temperature for different animal's ideal range for babies to survive.
On two different occasions, I have had this bug happen when breeding bears.
Description of the events that lead up to the bugged state:
1) We live in a temperate region, and are breeding bears. We know that bears require the temperature to be between 6 and 19 degrees Celsius to not take damage. Our average temperatures in the region are from 8 degrees Celsius during the night, to around 21 degrees Celsius in the afternoon.
2) We regularly observe our bears receiving the "Island" overheating debuff that causes babies to take damage until temperatures fall below 19 degrees Celsius. We have had some close calls, but our bears have survived as long as someone is within the area and keeping the babies from going into stasis.
3) I was the only one in our base area, and a Company member was asking for assistance on another tile. I checked the babies to make sure their health was good, deposited my gear, and fast traveled to another server to assist Company member. This, by default, put the baby bears into 'stasis' status. I am aware that temperatures and food are still monitored while they are in stasis. Our babies were in the "Juvenile" stage at this point, all had 1 imprint completed on each (for a 20% imprint bonus), were eating from a feeding trough, and feeding trough was very well supplied with food for them.
4) I assisted my Company member with their task in another tile, fast traveled back to base, and immediately went to check on our baby bears. This is where the bug comes into play.
5) Temperature in the zone at the time when I returned to the bears was 16 degrees Celsius, well within their range for 'livable' conditions. The time of day was late morning, moving towards noon, and temperature was slowly increasing. However, even though the temperature was in a valid range for the baby bears, they were afflicted with the "Island" overheated debuff and taking damage.
6) I proceeded to watch our baby bears lose health while the temperature was in an acceptable range, waiting for the debuff to go away, and it did not. Debuff persisted at least through 5 minutes of real time while the temperature continued to rise on the server, until ambient temperature was 20 degrees Celsius, with the babies only having approximately 20 health at this point, and there was no hope for the bears to recover. All babies proceeded to die a horrible death, even though they should have been topped off to their current 'max' of available health (around 160 at this point) well before the hot temperature should have affected them.
Hypothesis of bug to be looked into:
While in stasis, damage from temperature is still applied when temperatures go outside acceptable range; however, I believe that the timer on the 'hot' or 'cold' debuff that causes damages to babies does not actually tick with the actual weather when the baby is in stasis. Instead, this debuff and its timer is applied to the bear, but never begins counting. The baby still receives damage while in stasis from having this temperature debuff, but no ticks of the debuff are removed until out of stasis. This results in the baby receiving the affects of the debuff for longer than intended, and having the debuff while inside the acceptable temperature ranges for their growth. This can result in solo players never being able to breed anything unless they stay logged in for 40+ hours straight to keep their babies out of stasis, or living in a biome that will *never* fall outside of acceptable ranges, which is an unrealistic expectation with 'cold fronts' and 'heat waves' in the game.
Example of Hypothesis:
Baby is near max health for its development point (say 160 out of 580 for a Juvenile Bear at about 16% maturity), when someone logs out or leaves render range.
Bear enters a type of stasis with no active players nearby to save server resources.
While in stasis, temperature rises above threshold of acceptable range for baby. "Hot" debuff is applied with time remaining equal to the time that server temperature will remain above threshold (Lets us 10 minutes as an example).
Baby proceeds to take damage from temperature being outside of threshold range while in stasis (as expected). "Hot" debuff remains on baby. Debuff timer remains in 'stasis' at 10 minutes without changing.
Temperature falls to within acceptable range while baby is still in stasis. Baby stops taking damage due to active event (Health around 60 out of 580 at this point). "Hot" debuff remains on baby with full 10 minute timer.
Player travels within render range of baby. Baby is now removed from stasis status. "Hot" debuff is removed from stasis status, and timer now beings to count down, regardless of current server temperature.
Any response from the devs would be appreciated on this, so that breeding can be possible without having someone online literally 24/7 within render range of babies.