The map is full of flags (official PvE). Even the polar regions are all confiscated. Partly islandwide, from a company that probably consists of only 5 people or lower. There are hardly any meaningful or imaginative buildings. The rest of the country is completely unused and just staffed to have it.
The hype is slowly but surely over. Some players have built or seen almost everything, or simply lost their appetite. Companies are losing manpower and it is apparent that many built-up areas are simply deserted. Here and there someone may log in, so that nothing can be claimed for more than 6 (!) Hours by others. People no longer try to dispute these territories, which seems to be due to the nonsensical system. The claiming system needs a complete overhaul. This concerns above all unused areas. It can not be that once claimed regions forever belong to any data corpse, without effort or expense.
I have a few suggestions, some of which have certainly been discussed in the forum. But still I wanted to address it again, because it's about time that the developers are working on it again:
1) Each company or individual can standardly build per island a mainflag on the land and a sea flag. For example, you can have a "Hacienda" on the island and a pier or dry dock area on the coast. The area of claiming is 1/2 of the current effect.
2) You have to repair these flaggs constantly with ressources. After about 3 days it breaks down and the surrounding buildings begin to disintegrate. Other players can claim the area and all the buildings that stand on it. You can have claims on multiple islands in the region or other regions. But you have to maintain it.
3) You can upgrade your minor flagg on the island with ressources. Each upgrade will bring you one side flagg and each two upgrades a sea flagg. Use it to expand your claim on the same island. The area of effect of your mainflagg will expand also and bring more time to repair. With each upgrade, the costs of the maintenence will increase. At the beginning, you will use standard ressources like wood, thatch and fiber. But at higher tiers, you'll need to spend more resources, other types, rare materials, and eventually gold and gems. The costs increase significantly and it will someday be impossible without the manpower to perform an upgrade or to perform the maintenance. The size of the claimed area depends on the performance of the corp. The more different areas it claims, the more cost and effort comes to them.
4) Each tier increases resource extraction yield, crop yields, livestock, taming rate and bonus experience for all friendly players and tamed creatures. It should be worthwhile for larger companies to reach even higher levels of expansion. Highend tier areas are significant attractive for little corps to settle there and generate taxes.
1) PvP: Same declaiming system as currently used. Only the minor flagg can be attacked. If the flagg is won, the side flaggs will switch the owners too. So the defenders have to protect their minor flagg.
2) PvE: Same system as currently used, but with lower declaiming time (2-3 hours) and without the bug, that random players outside the corp can interrupt it.
3) There should be timeouts on both types of servers for attacking and taking over areas. During this time the areas are not vulnerable. The companies should be allowed to set about 8 hours to rest. Maybe more during the week. This prevents companies from other time zones from taking advantage of other players' rest periods. Because most players have a life and a profession outside of the game. The timeout can only be changed once a week.
Maybe these suggestions cause something. Maybe there are many more and better ideas. It can not stay the way it is now.