Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Land claiming = poor decision

There is no way to fix it. Not making a bigger radius, not making a smaller one, and not making a limit to them.

they were simply the wrong decision and a very bad one.

with ark you could build anywhere. If someone wanted to play solo and understood they had no chance, at least they could find a little hidden enclave and live for that brief moment.

some people will surely give excuses, but a game where there is no place to even put a foundation is a game that is fundamentally unplayable.

i am really disappointed in the poor choices made by this development company and it is time that we stop making excuses for poor choices and start holding them accountable. No wonder the gaming industry is going down hill. The white knights are the ones killing it.

• Like 1

A maintenance cost which increases exponentionally could certainly "fix" it - The more claims you have, the more it'll cost to maintain - Wouldn't put a max limit on it, and would still allow for war and conqouring of territories, and then keep people from just spamming claims en-masse as they most likely wouldn't be able to afford that.

Currently though, with progression being tied to having claimed islands is massively problematic when there's such limited space and nothing preventing anyone from just claiming anything they come across 😕

Just now, Zoin said:

A maintenance cost which increases exponentionally could certainly "fix" it - The more claims you have, the more it'll cost to maintain - Wouldn't put a max limit on it, and would still allow for war and conqouring of territories, and then keep people from just spamming claims en-masse as they most likely wouldn't be able to afford that.

Currently though, with progression being tied to having claimed islands is massively problematic when there's such limited space and nothing preventing anyone from just claiming anything they come across 😕

Not a bad idea but even then, that hurts medium sized companies ones more than anyone.

increase cost wouldn’t hurt the Megas, especially the Megas that dupe.

pretty much in any scenario the Megas come out on top and eventually control all of the land. 

Actually it will get even worse once you can tax other companies. Then the Megas can just tax people for their claim cost and not even have to work to pay it. Leaving the little guy grinding so he can have a 1x1 hut 

I spitballed on this with a friend whos already better established then I am.  They could have claims be easier to contest the more you have, representing your influence and infrastructure being spread thing.  So someone who has hundreds of claims, only gets like 60 seconds to stop the contesting of one, working back to the current standard for something like 10 or less.

As someone who cannot play all day every day I find this to be most frustrating.  I spend all of my play time on a raft, fighting the wind most of the time, only to find an island that is completely red with claims.  So I set sail and find another island that is completely red and the pattern continues.  I have yet to be able to find a single piece of land to claim.  I've spent all of my hours on Atlas on a raft.  Dying over and over and respawning over and over only to find red islands.  Game is not fun when this is all I do.  I'm tired of my raft and would like to establish some sort of bigger ship.  My play time is so sporadic that I would rather play solo, but this game is not friendly to those who dont have a large company that has someone online 24/7.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SgtOpt said:

As someone who cannot play all day every day I find this to be most frustrating.  I spend all of my play time on a raft, fighting the wind most of the time, only to find an island that is completely red with claims.  So I set sail and find another island that is completely red and the pattern continues.  I have yet to be able to find a single piece of land to claim.  I've spent all of my hours on Atlas on a raft.  Dying over and over and respawning over and over only to find red islands.  Game is not fun when this is all I do.  I'm tired of my raft and would like to establish some sort of bigger ship.  My play time is so sporadic that I would rather play solo, but this game is not friendly to those who dont have a large company that has someone online 24/7.

Yeah this is a grinding game, you need at least 12 hours a day. At least. If you don’t have that or more time to sacrifice then no you won’t get anywhere 

Land claiming is a fine concept, just need to limit it to one per person or something and have reasonable contest speeds. Pinlocked things should not be taken over when an area is claimed.

Edited by Paradigm

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Yeah this is a grinding game, you need at least 12 hours a day. At least. If you don’t have that or more time to sacrifice then no you won’t get anywhere 

Or just a big group of people. I'd say 20 or more, preferably from different time zones to increase the likelihood that there will be at least someone logged in at all times.

48 minutes ago, SoloHan88 said:

Or just a big group of people. I'd say 20 or more, preferably from different time zones to increase the likelihood that there will be at least someone logged in at all times.

That is the sad part man. Gotta be in a mega. Was part of one in ark and climbed the ranks. After that you just make alliances and wipe small tribes/companies. 

Gets boring just crushing the little guy all the time.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

There is no way to fix it. Not making a bigger radius, not making a smaller one, and not making a limit to them.

with ark you could build anywhere. If someone wanted to play solo and understood they had no chance, at least they could find a little hidden enclave and live for that brief moment.

some people will surely give excuses, but a game where there is no place to even put a foundation is a game that is fundamentally unplayable.

i am really disappointed in the poor choices made by this development company and it is time that we stop making excuses for poor choices and start holding them accountable. No wonder the gaming industry is going down hill. The white knights are the ones killing it.

This more than anything is NOT a game for solo players. It just isn't.

It should be limited to one claim per member, at the very least. Whichever group the member is a part of owns the claim the member places. It should be tied to the person, not the group. It makes every member valuable inherently, and limits spam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Teron Gray said:

They could have claims be easier to contest the more you have, representing your influence and infrastructure being spread thing.  So someone who has hundreds of claims, only gets like 60 seconds to stop the contesting of one, working back to the current standard for something like 10 or less.

3 hours ago, Zoin said:

I think a combination of these two would be great! It would make sense that a large area is both more costly to maintain and more difficult to protect.
Perhaps an addition could also be that claims will deteriorate if you don't visit that land. You're not using islands in the east if you spend your time in the west for example.

Edited by Erian

on ARk you can made a base, small, big, smart, stupid. Here the claim system is totally stupid. Limit it to 1 person, and reduce the area. 

Also the island are not that flat, more like rocks and some land, making it even less terrain, so is more limited that one might think.

The map feels smaller than ark just because is ocean and ocean and ocean, and thats it, the smalls island are taken and are really small.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

What's your issue with making a limit to them?    It would fix it until the server population reaches a certain level, then you need another server, but at least the devs would be able to do the math (I think) and figure out how much space is left.

The worst part of the claim system is, I can literally steal a base without raiding it in ~40 minutes now if you are offline.  The claim system needs to require not just some F1 ability to plant a flag, the flags need to be something that is made and can be defended/destroyed.  To take over an area it should require the flag to be destroyed.  Right now I can plant a flag right next to your base without firing a shot or breaking a wall, and wait.... then once the timer is up and my flag has gone up, your base is now mine.  I can walk right in and take everything.   Requiring a flag to be destroyed physically, where it could be surrounded and defended would be much better.  Maybe make a skill tree to land claiming / governship to allow higher tier flags to cover more range and require more materials.  Right now the free f1 flags are broken and abusive.

7 hours ago, Goldfish The Builder said:

Removing claims as a whole is very bad idea, upkeep like most of us have been saying is the way to balance it all!

I completely disagree. That was the one good thing about ark was that you could always find a small place to build.

they literally have the worst ideas for this game and brought over the worst part of ark and then left the good stuff behind 

There is quite a few ways to fix the issue. Make the radius a little larger and then limit everyone to one land claim flag only. This way smaller companies can still get their piece of the pie but larger companies get a larger piece. Done and done.

An upkeep system would be retarded. We are suppose to be out to sea fighting, not on island sucking the D of the upkeep system. Plus only large companies would be able to afford the upkeep thus killing off the smaller companies. Bad idea.

Edited by Andro Bourne

7 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

What's your issue with making a limit to them?    It would fix it until the server population reaches a certain level, then you need another server, but at least the devs would be able to do the math (I think) and figure out how much space is left.

You are giving these devs too much credit. You still aren’t thinking about the fact that a limit would only hurt medium sized companies.

mega companies right now have around 300 people. Let say they have a limit of 10 flags. Well the 300 breaks into 150 making it 20. Both 150 groups break up into 4 75 person groups and so on and so on.

megas will not be affected at all but a limit. In fact the Megas aren’t affected by any balance changes. They will own the globe in approximately 2 months

In real life the more people you have access to, the more likely you will win. Out economy, out manpower, out power anything smaller. Thats how life works. Its not a gameplay mechanic thats the problem. The problem is you have no friends.

1 minute ago, Andro Bourne said:

There is quite a few ways to fix the issue. Make the radius a little larger and then limit everyone to one land claim flag only. This way smaller companies can still get their piece of the pie but larger companies get a larger piece. Done and done.

They will still get the whole map. As I said to the other guy the 300 player companies will split and split and split until they have a massive amount of flags.

in fact once an island is fully captured all they need to do is have is have one person in that company to keep the company going while the others go and capture more.

believe me, Megas have not and will not ever be affected by balance changes

1 minute ago, wakko151 said:

In real life the more people you have access to, the more likely you will win. Out economy, out manpower, out power anything smaller. Thats how life works. Its not a gameplay mechanic thats the problem. The problem is you have no friends.

Is that why people play games like this? They can’t make it on real life so they try to make this the real life experience they will never have? 😂😂😂

the most successful in this game are some of the least successful in real life 👍

If you read the dev notes they just posted they are encouraging people to claim mass amounts of land in both modes.  It’s not changing.  

13 minutes ago, wakko151 said:

Lmao

1 minute ago, Rickyh24 said:

If you read the dev notes they just posted they are encouraging people to claim mass amounts of land in both modes.  It’s not changing.  

Oh I already know it’s not changing. I was just saying they were idiots for doing it. I know full well wildcard doesn’t take anything out after they put it in, no matter how bad they mess up.

the main reason they don’t is because of how much they suck and they realize that by taking something out they will negatively affect 5 other things because they are horrible programmers 

Sailing for 3 days to find a place to claim .... NO WHERE TO CLAIM... EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN!>?!!? Where do we go? 

O'wait . To the bottom of the ocean. Thanks Ghost Ships. Now we can't even wander to find a place to claim. Even though 99% of all claimed land has nothing built on it.

Back on a Raft. We lost our Schooner within 10 minutes of that stupid ghost ship update. I am sure pretty much anyone with a boat had the same issue. BS!