Voodoo81

Elephant taming problem

Soo taming an elephant.. i get its health down to a point bolo it... then proceed to feed it.. this  feeding works a couple of times 4-5 maybe... then the  " press E to feed" text turns Red instead of blue.. and iam no longer able to feed the elephant.. is this a bug or am i screwing up some where ?

I think red means that your taming is in a state of decay, and feeding it will continue the taming process.

Red in my experience is just an advisory that you're taking too long between feeds.

Are you using one of these old hat 'traps' ?  Don't, just go free, and use a bear to attack / damage the Elephant, use a bola from on top of the bear, and you'll end up with a free 360 degree circle around it to feed from, you'll be able to find that sweet spot, and, the elephant wont be frantically attacking the walls of the trap, which will make feeding it even easier..  Your success rate will be far far higher.

PS & Edit, if you don't have a bear, then stand on a high rock, and bow it instead.

Edited by Vorxius
  • Like 1

not using an " trap" or pen ... we are knocking him down on the beach away from water. rocks etc,

It may turn red and you should just feed him as usual. It happens sometimes but do not prevent you from taming creature. 

You arent actually hitting the mouth. There is a sweet spot between front and back legs. You cannot feed from the back side, has to be leg side. It is definitely a pia. Build a pen to tame..6 foundations, some doorways and a few ramps is easiest way..use wheat..using reg veggies dont work well at all. You will get hit and may even die, drop a spawn bed away from trap (so they cant break it). Use armor.

• Like 1

We also discovered that taming with a partner and switching off every two bola cycles allows us to feed without the tame attacking us. Your partner needs to stay clear when it’s your turn to feed and vice versa. 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, =MGC=Ranger said:

There is a sweet spot between front and back legs.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, =MGC=Ranger said:

You will get hit and may even die,

For me a sweet spot is a spot were i did not get hit at all while feeding. Others are feed spots for me.

Generall taming tips: Try bellyside, if can not feed w/o getting hit, try spine side. Skill sneaking. Dont look at the head all the time, rather look to neck/spine. Look up and down, slowly  also.

You can also hover, just outside of it's attack range, wait for it to breathe in then you'll see option to feed. This is the safest way.  But you'll need to bola it more and use more feeds.

13 hours ago, Martyn said:

You can also hover, just outside of it's attack range, wait for it to breathe in then you'll see option to feed. This is the safest way.  But you'll need to bola it more and use more feeds.

That is kinda the sweetspot, u need more bolas and lose time that way (very little) u dont need more feeds tho.

Best way to tame an elephant is without a bin. Ride on a bear, bite the ele down, bola that huge stompy friend and go over to feed em.

if you are alone it's a little tricky because of the cobras, vultures or other disturbers. With a mate who looks out for these disturbers, you just have to take care, that u don't fall asleep until it's tamed.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, Forb Hidden said:

Best way to tame an elephant is without a bin. Ride on a bear, bite the ele down, bola that huge stompy friend and go over to feed em.

if you are alone it's a little tricky because of the cobras, vultures or other disturbers. With a mate who looks out for these disturbers, you just have to take care, that u don't fall asleep until it's tamed.

It really isn't.   I'd suggest the easiest way, it to make a moderate sized taming area.  Lead the elephant into it, then tame with bear.  Otherwise, you just spend all day chasing the elephant all over the island.

5 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

It is the best way I figured out. In a taming bin u often can't find the sweet spot. 

When did u tame your last, since some weeks, animals flee way more, that and dodgeing bolas is really bad for taming wihout a box.
The longer u tame the more your target will get exposed to bad situations, also the more time you allready spend is at risk.

I tame from a tame, the flee thingy made it unenjoyable for me doing it solo.

I switched to tame with gold.

3 hours ago, Kummba said:

When did u tame your last, since some weeks, animals flee way more, that and dodgeing bolas is really bad for taming wihout a box.
The longer u tame the more your target will get exposed to bad situations, also the more time you allready spend is at risk.

I tame from a tame, the flee thingy made it unenjoyable for me doing it solo.

I switched to tame with gold.

Yep.  Remember torpor damage in ark? Giga's sprinting away when nearly knocked out.. unless trapped.

Well that's Atlas now.  Yes, the ele's can get turned/stuck in odd places, you just feed it 1-2 times, release bola, reduce, bola again.. What I do, is put some thatch walls in middle of the pen, the ele attacks those and it's abit easier to get access to the "sweet" spot.. There also seem to be some strange behaviours with the flee mechanic, for example i've seen eles stop fleeing near water to fight with my bear.. or tiger or what i'm using.  If you use a tiger.. don't right click 😉

Really wish devs would just stop trying to balance stuff like taming, it should be a fun, simple, experience.  Not a frustrating one.  Imagine having to chase a lover around the room, beating her up and knocking her out.. it wouldn't make a great start to your relationship.

Edited by Martyn

The worst with the flee is, that when u catch up and throw the bola, the soon to be tame, is moving while the bola is in the air EVERY fucking time. And when u hit, the bola breaks.

Back to taming cows!

On 6/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, Martyn said:

..... Imagine having to chase a lover around the room, beating her up and knocking her out.. it wouldn't make a great start to your relationship.

No WONDER my girlfriends don't stick around very long.

Good tip, thanks Egon! 

On 6/18/2019 at 9:02 PM, Martyn said:

This is a safe option for feeding process.

For taming in general use bear. Its easier to tame on open field instead of a pen. There are only 3 tames where you shouldnt use bear.

Razor -> Tame with shieldhorn

Lion -> Tame with giraffe

Tiger -> Shieldhorn or Bear/Monkey

BG Anne Beaglelove 💜

Let me get this straight..... You DON'T need a pen to tame and it's easier/safer?? 

As a solo player I find that impossible to believe.