AntonyVW

What is network range?

On the latest patch is written:-

Networking range for players on ships is now the same as players not on ships (~34,000 units)
- Networking range for unseated NPCs on ships are now about 18,000 units, and seated NPCs are now about 9,000 units.

Exactly what does this mean?

its a bit like the render range bubble except instead of graphics its the network bubble for npc's and players which would be much larger, my guess it helps with the lag you get getting close to an island with alot of people on it eg a pvp battle, before it was probably set to render distance range so a pc had to acquire player npc positions at same time as it rendered them, by separating the 2 it gives the pc more time to deal with the information, reducing lag.

Edited by Remo

So glad they fixed this....it was one of the top problems on the servers....NOT!

Edited by sgzeroone

This change reduces the distance at which player characters are replicated on boats. We brought the number down so it matches the values on land, out in the sea, and in the air (gliding). It will by proxy improve server and client performance, as it's quite a taxing thing. It also allowed us to tweak up NPC replication values, which again should result in both client and server performance gains, and it's opened the door for some other things that we're looking into.. which will also result in a gain if things work out 🙂 Server and client performance will always continue to be something we put some time and attention into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jatheish said:

This change reduces the distance at which player characters are replicated on boats. We brought the number down so it matches the values on land, out in the sea, and in the air (gliding). It will by proxy improve server and client performance, as it's quite a taxing thing. It also allowed us to tweak up NPC replication values, which again should result in both client and server performance gains, and it's opened the door for some other things that we're looking into.. which will also result in a gain if things work out 🙂 Server and client performance will always continue to be something we put some time and attention into.

*nods knowingly*

Yes of course. It's always better when you can tweak server replication values and open the door to proxy values matching gains in reduced boat gliding. I'm glad you guys are putting time and attention into taxing client performance. I know many words but not what it means when you put them together in that order.

*head asplodes*

Kidding aside I assume for the laymen this means performance improvements, which is, at the end of the day, about how far you have to dumb it down so I can understand it. I gather the main thing is that going forward performance will be better when 

I'm

on

a

boat.

• Haha 3

Boomer nailed it.

@Jatheish  We really appreciate the in-depth explanations.  An informed playerbase can provide more useful feedback IMO. 

Edited by DocHolliday

10 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

*nods knowingly*

Yes of course. It's always better when you can tweak server replication values and open the door to proxy values matching gains in reduced boat gliding. I'm glad you guys are putting time and attention into taxing client performance. I know many words but not what it means when you put them together in that order.

*head asplodes*

Kidding aside I assume for the laymen this means performance improvements, which is, at the end of the day, about how far you have to dumb it down so I can understand it. I gather the main thing is that going forward performance will be better when 

I'm

on

a

boat.

10 years ago already, jeez. Getting old(er).

1 hour ago, Andargor said:

10 years ago already, jeez. Getting old(er).

*waves cane menacingly*

YOU KIDS GET OFF MAH DAMN LAWN!!

On 6/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, sgzeroone said:

So glad they fixed this....it was one of the top problems on the servers....NOT!

On 6/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, Jatheish said:

It will by proxy improve server and client performance, as it's quite a taxing thing... which will also result in a gain if things work out 🙂 Server and client performance will always continue to be something we put some time and attention into.

Pwnt

22 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Pwnt

LOL, yeah cause the improvements are so noticeable in game....