Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Remo

icebox feedback

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

a little feedback about the ice box

1. it doesnt generate ice if someone is not in render range

- this has to be a bug

2. it doesnt keep food from spoiling any longer than salt

-given the pita it is to make and transport it should definitely offer much longer  preserving times

3. its too heavy to transport in large quantities at 1.2kg per piece for it to be a good alternative to preserving salt

-lower its weight by alot

4. stacks of 100 instead of 500 like salt make ice management 5x more complicated than salt.

like this its set up to be used pretty much just for breeders and as a salt alternative for the few in the polar regions, which is a shame because its a nice idea. But too niche for general use.

Edited by Remo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit the ice is disappointing.

Its nice in bags, but i would expect it to help in feeding troughs though. (Granted at a slightly faster consumption rate)

The current meat decay is nuts for feeding troughs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Remo said:

1. it doesnt generate ice if someone is not in render range

- this has to be a bug

Haven't observed this. Usually come back to a decent stack every day, depending on the region I am in (temperate for our main base, tundra for where I park my ship mostly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Haven't observed this. Usually come back to a decent stack every day, depending on the region I am in (temperate for our main base, tundra for where I park my ship mostly).

not sure if its render range or just no one in the server, but the only time in a 24 hour period that ice was generated was when i logged into the base, ice boxes had 26 ice each when i left and then logged back in 24 hours later and in 10 minutes there they went up to 30. I doubt that in polar region there was no temps under 5 degrees for that long but who knows. to be clear boxes are on roof in open air.

Edited by Remo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My ice boxes generate ice just fine out of render. I've even had a a few stacks form in my tropical base's ice boxes.

 

I thought the greatly increased spoil time over salt initially but i just checked now and its the same as salt

Edited by jabnlab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jabnlab said:

I thought the greatly increased spoil time over salt initially but i just checked now and its the same as salt

You probably were seeing the timers for salt + ice. Which is staggeringly awesome. If it were only like salt, it wouldn't be worth the effort or extra weight.

Now if only the icebox functioned like a preserving bag...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

You probably were seeing the timers for salt + ice. Which is staggeringly awesome. If it were only like salt, it wouldn't be worth the effort or extra weight.

Now if only the icebox functioned like a preserving bag...

you might want to test it,  whatever i put in my bags, first 1 in is the effect it gives, they dont stack unfortunately. But they might have stealth patched it, yesterday ice gave me a 3 hour spoil timer on tumeric same as salt, and right now its giving me 13 hours for ice, adding salt to the bag made no difference.

Edited by Remo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that it doesn't create ice if not rendered alone makes it a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never even tried it, seems a waste of time as it currently is. You would think they would come up with better ideas than this ice box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Remo said:

you might want to test it,  whatever i put in my bags, first 1 in is the effect it gives, they dont stack unfortunately. But they might have stealth patched it, yesterday ice gave me a 3 hour spoil timer on tumeric same as salt, and right now its giving me 13 hours for ice, adding salt to the bag made no difference.

Oh god, please don't say they patched it out. I'll definitely have to test tonight. I do know there was a significant delay to them stacking for some reason. It wasn't instant like either salt or ice alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Ice box is probably more suited in helping for breeding purposes in hot climates like the air conditioners in Ark rather than preserving if there is no difference vs Salt. I was under the impression that ice + salt would add a longer timer on food from spoiling but yeah no..going to test the ice box in a nursery and see how that pans out..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the zero difference from salt, I think this is some sort of bug, as I’ve had mixed results from this on both new and used bags. It actually preserves stuff much longer than salt, literally days on some items, but about 1 time in 5 it seems to think it’s salt, and acts like salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When last I checked it was a HUGE difference between ice and salt.  You need to make sure there is no salt in the bags though.  If there is salt and ice in the preserving bag, the salt preserves the ice and the ice does nothing.

 

Empty the bag, put the ice in and see if it's different.  The timers went WAY up for me.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built one yesterday and was suprised to find ice in it before I logged off.  I didn't know it passively created ice.  I thought we had to mine and transport it from the cold regions.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a ice box on my ship but I do not think it's an idea why I think there is a risk of a ship because of the overweight.

Edited by Rising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever suggested that they broke ice+salt stacking was thankfully mistaken, but you got me and made me look. All is well. Perhaps there is some order of stacking that makes it work? I always keep my ice on top of my salt, FWIW.

Also I have no idea if other players passing through my area are causing my icebox to work as some have suggested, but since I got one, I consistently login every night to have between 30 and 60 ice accumulated, even when parking in remote regions, and surprisingly, even in pretty hot areas where I never see the temperature drop below freezing.

No idea why that is working, but no complaints here, keep them snowballs coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is all correct. I have a tavern built in the tropical climate, and  it has been producing ice just fine, I have stacks upon stacks in there. And lately we haven't been at home all that much.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:39 PM, Remo said:

1. it doesnt generate ice if someone is not in render range

- this has to be a bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Followup to my previous comment, I am really not understanding how/when iceboxes make ice. Not only have I seen ice being made in significant quantities in completely hot climates where the temperature never seems to get below freezing, but now I have seen several occasions in polar zones where the current temperature is significantly below freezing and the icebox mouseover indicates that "it is too hot to make ice".

I am still not complaining mind you, it seems that I can make about as much ice as I need everywhere I go, but it is a little hard to understand how to use the system to increase ice output if travelling and parking in cold areas doesn't have a predictable impact on output.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preserving times experiment: 3 onions just picked from garden. I live in Western Temperate Official server NA PVE lawless

Spoil time in my inventory 2 hrs 23 min

Preserving bag #1: 1 onion + 100 salt = 3 hrs 14 min

Preserving bag #2: 1 onion + 100 ice = 19 hrs 20 min

Preserving bag #3: 1 onion + 100 salt + 100 ice = 19 hrs 17 min

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 12:07 AM, TerrorTrooper said:

As for the zero difference from salt, I think this is some sort of bug, as I’ve had mixed results from this on both new and used bags. It actually preserves stuff much longer than salt, literally days on some items, but about 1 time in 5 it seems to think it’s salt, and acts like salt. 

You have to let the salt run out first before the ice  comes into effect, same other way around, you can tell which is active, salt will give a rainbow hue and ice will give a whitish grey hue.

I have found ice in salt bags to be about 8x better than salt. It also works out to be about 20 ice per day per bag approx so say 25 a day for spoil timers to be safe.

Edited by KarmaComa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luna's analysis is right. Disregard my blabbering. The one thing I never thought to do was to remove the salt to see how the timer changed (it doesn't).

The timer with ice is so long that it seemed implausible that ice could be THAT good by itself, but it is. My Fish & Chips will last for 70 days before losing one off the stack. We'll probably be wiped before that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

Followup to my previous comment, I am really not understanding how/when iceboxes make ice. Not only have I seen ice being made in significant quantities in completely hot climates where the temperature never seems to get below freezing, but now I have seen several occasions in polar zones where the current temperature is significantly below freezing and the icebox mouseover indicates that "it is too hot to make ice".

I am still not complaining mind you, it seems that I can make about as much ice as I need everywhere I go, but it is a little hard to understand how to use the system to increase ice output if travelling and parking in cold areas doesn't have a predictable impact on output.

I live in a tropical region but even when the temperature drops down far enough for my character to get the "Freezing" icon, my fridges still say "Area is too hot to make ice", so it seems buggy to me. Neither of the fridges I put in my base have produced ice, but the one in my ship has after sailing around a bit to different zones. Note that I haven't gone anywhere that wasn't tropical or desert yet.

I also can't seem to put food directly in the fridge, I'm not sure if this is a bug or WAI. Anyway, I think it could be useful if they'd iron out the kinks. As it stands it seems a bit too wonky to be consistently useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×