Sign in to follow this  
The D Legacy

Atlas ovetaken by BDO lmfao

That moment when a action combat MMO totally unrelated to sea content (BDO) decides to take your idea and shows you how to do things right:

"For this summer's update: Starting off with the addition of tidal currents and wind direction. If you are lucky or studied ahead of time, then you can travel across very quickly. However, if you were not prepared than traveling may become even harder than before.

Remodeling ships, hiring a crew, and using a variety of devices to sail across the sea and winning over the currents and conquering the ocean will become a new objective.

New ships are prepared for you to enjoy the new content as well. They will be very familiar to some of our Adventurers, they are carrack, galley, and the like. We paid special attention to how ships are handled and controlled so that it would be more fun."

GGeasy.jpg

BDO?  Big Duck Online?

Speak English.  Learn when to use initials, and acronyms, and when not to.   Using BDO in the OP is not the way to start a thread.  Many people are not going to know what game you are talking about.  This is also common practice when writing any kind of formal paper.  The first time you mention someone, or something, you use a full name first.  For instance, and article where a professor is interviewed, it would go something like this.  "We reached out to Professor John, A Smith, Professor of Descriptive Writing at the University of Atlas, for his thoughts on how to write an opening post."  Then, after this introduction, they will typically use the title and last name, such as Professor Smith.  Sometimes, they may just say, Smith, but some feel that is bad form, when the person has a respected title.  But the point is clear...you make sure people are aware of what you are talking about.  You don't assume they know who "Professor Smith," is, or what his expertise is.

I see this all too often in gaming forums, or comment sections, where gamers like to throw around the acronyms to appear to be in the know...to appear to belong.  Problem is, there are hundreds...thousands of games, books, movies, gangs, clubs, etc., where people will use acronyms.  Not everyone looks into all things gaming related.  I used to, but anymore, I just pay attention to the games I am playing, and talk to people I know.  I don't read much gaming news anymore.  Can't be bothered.  Too busy.

Also, when using an acronym, you introduce both in the first mention.  Like this.... Black Desert Online (BDO), decides to take your idea and shows you...

Now everyone is on the same page, whether or not they know anything about BDO

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

Just now, lordkhan4444 said:

I thought he was talking about black desert online

He is.  But not everyone will know that.  Don't assume everyone knows the acronym for a game, movie, books, or TV show.  Believe it or not, there were many people who did not watch GoT.  Right?  And I was caught using the acronym, in the first mention to them, like I just did.  Like, "You going to watch GoT tonight?"  And I get this in response, "GoT?" 

15 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

He is.  But not everyone will know that.  Don't assume everyone knows the acronym for a game, movie, books, or TV show.  Believe it or not, there were many people who did not watch GoT.  Right?  And I was caught using the acronym, in the first mention to them, like I just did.  Like, "You going to watch GoT tonight?"  And I get this in response, "GoT?" 

Jargon; special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.

In this specific case, we are a community that enjoys and plays MMORPGs. His use of the common acronym of BDO is acceptable due to its niche and high name recognition. Like it or not the game was a big deal for a decent amount of time. 

However the biggest P2W game so far to my knowledge was how Lineage 2 ended up (it was at its start and for several years the greatest MMORPG of all time...until F2P/P2W). With people, a lot, paying well above $10,000 USD per year. With multiple people over the $100,000 mark (Saudis mostly I believe). 

There was another one, it might have been worse, but I cant remember the name of it. I believe some dude paid to have his own island/landmass/planet or whatever created by the dev team.

36 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Jargon; special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.

In this specific case, we are a community that enjoys and plays MMORPGs. His use of the common acronym of BDO is acceptable due to its niche and high name recognition. Like it or not the game was a big deal for a decent amount of time. 

However the biggest P2W game so far to my knowledge was how Lineage 2 ended up (it was at its start and for several years the greatest MMORPG of all time...until F2P/P2W). With people, a lot, paying well above $10,000 USD per year. With multiple people over the $100,000 mark (Saudis mostly I believe). 

There was another one, it might have been worse, but I cant remember the name of it. I believe some dude paid to have his own island/landmass/planet or whatever created by the dev team.

40k wait, wait its coming!!

i see game videos posted on reddit all the time, and because no info is given i have no clue what game it is, i agree that relevant info should be posted, BDO could be anything unless you know what it is.

Second whats with all the arses posting gleefully how happy they are that Atlas isnt doing as good as it could, i dont go posting negative crap on games i dont like, ive got better things to do.

I happen to enjoy this game very much, thats why i post here. So many crap posts.

2 hours ago, Remo said:

Second whats with all the arses posting gleefully how happy they are that Atlas isnt doing as good as it could, i dont go posting negative crap on games i dont like, ive got better things to do.

I happen to enjoy this game very much, thats why i post here. So many crap posts.

Agreed.  It's fine to address things that you think are a problem, and offer suggested solutions, if you can.  But just bad mouthing the game...no...not cool.

17 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

What the hell does BDO, F2P, P2W, and MMORPG even stand for?

Edited by vaylain

6 minutes ago, vaylain said:

That was Second Life. The Developers talked him into allowing them to turn his entire planet into a dungeon-like resort for other players to come from all over the galaxy and adventure. Both, the Developers and planet's owner made a killing in a real-life monetary payout.

Edited by vaylain