Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Land Based NPC Cannons

Land Based Defense  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Create a land based NPC usable cannon that swivels, cannot be used on ships, and cannot be outranged by ship based guns/towed cannons?

I pressed no because of the outranged thing, I want there to be no range difference with any cannon just height difference that makes the distance. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

Sure, and to add to this, I would like to see puckles with better range to match towed cannons as well, and with double the punch power to eat thru large HP pool of the attacker. Not plying any more, but still monitoring the game progress.

I think the problem is really manned vs. unmanned range, which seems to be vastly different in favor of manned. For a while, I thought that the problem had to do with NPC agro range; but NPCs on cannons/puckles etc. do appear to track enemies at range - they just won't fire (even though the weapon would definitely hit if manned). I suspect that weapon stations have different ranges depending on whether they're manned by players or NPCs. Basically, the operator should have no bearing on a cannon's max range.

Edited by Kast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kast said:

I think the problem is really manned vs. unmanned range, which seems to be vastly different in favor of manned. For a while, I thought that the problem had to do with NPC agro range; but NPCs on cannons/puckles etc. do appear to track enemies at range - they just won't fire (even though the weapon would definitely hit if manned). I suspect that weapon stations have different ranges depending on whether they're manned by players or NPCs. Basically, the operator should have no bearing on a cannon's max range.

Along that same line of thought, what if they added a stat to NPCs for Artillery/Cannoneering/Munitions that would increase their effective range and, possibly, reload time? Would make an actual purpose for leveling up crew and putting points into something other than food/hp. Makes sense from a mechanic standpoint as well as being grounded in reality, as accurate distance shooting with artillery requires a decent amount of skill and would need people who specialize in it to be able to hit targets at maximum range.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Discuss.

so you want any island without cliffs to be pointless? what

if the cannons are in the tower just stand next to the tower?

16 hours ago, Percieval said:

I pressed no because of the outranged thing, I want there to be no range difference with any cannon just height difference that makes the distance. 

That was the point.  I was stating that this cannon should NOT be outranged by cannon bears or ship cannons, which would prevent the enemy from finding sweet spots from which they can fire at the defenses, without being fired at.  In otherwords, I am saying that I want there to be no range differences.

13 hours ago, Daish said:

so you want any island without cliffs to be pointless? what

if the cannons are in the tower just stand next to the tower?

Not sure what you mean?  I'm simply asking for cannons that have the same long range as a heavy cannon, on a ship, so that somebody can't creep up on a port...find the range where they can hit from, but the enemy defenses cannot.  This allows them to just sit there, with no danger, taking down your defenses.  That is what I am looking to fix.  Not sure what cliffs, or lack of cliffs have to do with it.

I vote YES...

I think the Land based cannons should have a 20% Better range then the ship cannons....  So if a ship really wants to bombard then it HAS TO COMMIT and enter the danger range in which its going to be shot at FIRST...

Absolutely this makes perfect sense!!!  Land Based cannons realistically had huge range advantages in real life too...  if I ship wanted too try and take out the cannons on a fort they would often attempt to send a party ashore and assault the fort rather then commit to a dangerous assault with the ship!

• Thanks 1