Sign in to follow this  
mojoroc

Plz get upgraded speed sails working!!!

@Jatheish can u guys PLEASE prioritize getting the upgraded large speed sails ACTUALLY delivering the speed promised by the blueprints??? With the new cargo container speed penalty, this is pretty darn critical!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have completely changed my approach to speed sail preferred stats since I found out this was broken, but will happily rip them all off and replace the moment they get fixed.

I feel most sorry for the silent masses who have no idea this is a problem because it isn't visible via the UI. They burn lots of materials and effort on good faith and end up with a Placebo. 

If you can't, or won't fix it, please update the UI to at least let those people know. After more than a month, it feels dishonest.

• Like 1

I prefer that they rethink sails entirely, to get rid of the speed sail Meta.  This is what I would do.

• Speed Sails - Fastest sail when sailing with the wind.  Has highest durability
  • Maneuvering Sails - Fastest Sail when sailing into the wind.  Allows most maneuverability.
  • Weight Sails - Not as fast as either sail, when sailing into the other sail's strength, but faster when sailing into their weakness.  Same for durability and maneuverability.  Simply allows less drop in speed as weight increases.

I honestly think that if this is what they did, you would see many more sail combinations on PvP.  You might even see some running with...gasp...no speed sails.

While it would be good to allow some increase in speed, this should not be a drastic increase.  These are not rapid fire weapons, on these ships.  Nor do the rounds travel fast...meaning that if you allow speed to increase very much, those who have faster sails, will be near impossible to hit, except from point blank range.  This game will definitely die, if the "haves and have nots," problem becomes exacerbated.  I saw how fast people were quitting when the guillotine exploit was allowing some people to have ships that would take many hits, while stripping planks in one hit.  Amazingly, people don't keep playing games when they realize they are the one at a severe disadvantage, especially when they feel they can't overcome that, and this game can easily get you into that mindset.  Get wiped a few times, just as you feel you are starting to get somewhere, and you can easily start to feel it is hopeless.  Like it or not, this is actually why so many people quit.  The whole thing with the offline raiding was just part of that.  It was simply one cause for them getting wiped, and starting to feel it was pointless to even try.  Think about it..if they didn't really lose that much...if they could rebuild their ships in a half hour, and never lose their BPs, or raw materials...most would not have quit.  If treasure maps, and gold were the only thing they lost in a wipe, and animals not on passive, they would not have quit.  Nobody keeps playing a game when they get the message that they are the bug, and other people are the windshield...all the time, and this game gets people to thinking that very quickly.  I see it in many game like this...starts out strong but very quickly, the player base drops quite quickly.  ARK did pretty good for a while, but I think that was despite these reasons, not because of it.  Taming dinos, new maps bringing people back, etc...  It also was not as hard to get re-established as this game is.  For one, people learned to spread their stuff out, over many different servers.  You didn't lose everything in one wipe....plus, you could upload your best stuff, and run to another server, and download it.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

i could be interpreting this wrong but patch notes say speed bonuses were an error, while not clear which items a sail is a game item....

- Fixed a bug where items would falsely state that they were providing a speed benefit (did not do anything). They should not generate anymore going forward  

@Remo pretty sure that is the weird speed bonus u see on some armor BPs.

that was definitely not sails... sails max velocity is the culprit I am griping about BIG TIME /cough

Seriously here, I am not even debating sail redesign or anything else... JUST GIVE THE CURRENT SAILS THE MAX VELOCITY PROMISED BY THE BP!!! 

35 minutes ago, Remo said:

i could be interpreting this wrong but patch notes say speed bonuses were an error, while not clear which items a sail is a game item....

- Fixed a bug where items would falsely state that they were providing a speed benefit (did not do anything). They should not generate anymore going forward  

It is connected to speed multiplier stat on armor, not max sail velocity stat. 

I guess they are either considering to rework them or worried about the Server strain...

I heard through the grapevine that this issue is not a simple fix.  My guess is the code that handles this is poorly intertwined with other game functions and making changes can break other aspects of the game. 

AKA someone f'ed up bad. 

How hard can it be to actually activate the promised max velocity?? It's already baked into the assembled sail!

They might also just not have everything in place to handle ships going twice as fast.  People ALREADY complain about hitting stuff that hasnt loaded yet.  Unless render distance can be increased you'll be slamming into galleons of the dead left and right, and player docks at every island.

I am fine with that... just gimme what is supposed to be there. Full speed ahead, f the icebergs!

NOTE: not a real concern cause I want this the most for the transport gally that is now moving at turtle speed thanks to the container speed nerf. For all other ships, I am ok with the risk too though - know the map and everyone should be fine