TheBeast

Fix taming, fix glitching and fix crashes

First of all I would like to say that I had a lot of fun with Atlas, but now it's just frustrating.

Taming:
Since the Mega Update I often have problems with the game closing or crashing suddenly.
I tried to tame a tiger on Lvl 23 and suddenly the game crashed.
Me and my bear that I tamed with level 29 at the end of the world were dead.
After that I tried to get a new bear to compensate the loss.
Of course the game crashed again, but a member of our alliance was able to save my second bear this time.
Since then I have avoided turning my bears on passiv while taming which led to many frustrating situations.

• Lvl 30 Giraffe - The giraffe was killed by one of my tigers because it turned on the ground (glitching) and suddenly hit in my direction. Because the giraffe was Lvl 30, I wanted to be sure that nothing would happen it. That's why I pressed T before taming and set my bear and the tiger to passive. Unfortunately this was not noticed by the game.
  • Lvl 29 Tiger - Accidentally killed, because the countdown for the Bolas in the Hotbar was still running and I made a left click to throw them. My fault, but why Bolas need to have a cooldown on a PvE server?
  • Lvl 28 Tiger - I tried to place some signs around the tiger to save my bear in case my game is crashing. Unfortunately I could not build the last sign, although it was displayed in blue. I couldn't abort it for a few seconds either. The tiger freed himself and my bear killed him because he was still neutral at this time.
  • Lvl 29 Elephant - A spider was attacking and my bear killed the elephant because the spider was too close to the elephant.
  • Lvl 26 Tiger - This time I wanted to make sure that my bear didn't kill the tiger so I set him to passive. The game just closed this time and when I was back in-game, the bear and I were dead.

These are just a few examples that happened to me in the last 3 days.
Why is there no status where the animals defend themselves when they are attacked but do not actively attack as long as they get damage themselves?
Taming something alone is just frustrating when I have to decide if I want to lose my own animal if the game crashes again or if I want to risk killing the wild animal accidentally.

Glitching:
What is also quite annoying is that you often get stuck in trees, rocks, other animals or dead bodies because the hit boxes do not match the graphic model.
This often causes you to get stuck or teleport back.
I have also seen animals that are stuck in the water several times since the Mega Update. Sometimes these animals seem not to be able to use swimming animation anymore (look at this gif).

I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in this text, but English is not my native language. I am so frustrated about the current state of Atlas that I had to write this text.

zSaXSLn.pngORMhW4d.pngel0VBUV.gif

The fatal errors haha, good you bring that up. It has been a huge problem at ARK and it’s the same at ATLAS. The first 2 months of playing I could not play on my PC because it would just crash within a couple of minutes with a fatalerror, so I was bound to play on my laptop where it runs just fine. 

After a lot of research etc. I finally found out what caused the fatal errors on my side, which is discord. Discord is the reason ATLAS crashed on me for 2 months straight. I told them about this but even then there are still a lot of people with fatalerror issues. It’s just plain stupid, been around since 2015. 

Give some computer dude a whiskey, glasses and he’ll fix it for them, why is some stuff so hard to do in this world. 

Maybe they should announce a ‘repair month’ with purely bug fixes and the most important one ‘bullshit fixes’. 

I’m usually not the one to complain like this, but man a damn harpoon for ships to trap? Who in the room seriously said it would be a good idea. And I can name 10 other things where the same happened. 

The ghost ships in Islands now, it’s damn annoying and they could’ve known this since it has been a common problem in private servers. Yet it happens to the officials, come on Grapeshot. I get that you need to put out a product and it needs to be updated on a regular basis (I believe you guys update this game every day) but that is not what the community asked for. 

We’d rather have an good update every month than 31 small ones that don’t affect the game at all. Fix all fatalerror issues, fix all the issues in general and fire the guy that suggests all this ridiculous unbalanced stuff all the time. 

Your community is not large, use it. 

• Like 1

Too early in the process to just do fixes.  All those fixes will be thrown out the window after more content releases.  Right now they just concentrate on enough to keep the game moving forward.  Once most of the final release content is in game they can go full bore on bug fixes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Too early in the process to just do fixes.  All those fixes will be thrown out the window after more content releases.  Right now they just concentrate on enough to keep the game moving forward.  Once most of the final release content is in game they can go full bore on bug fixes. 

This is true and adheres to general game development philosophy. However this game suffers from a major PR problem in the PC gaming community at large.

Many people will not play the game even if it were given for free because of the bad reviews. Those reviews are largely negative because of major bugs and cheaters going unpunished.

They've stated that they're not worried about player numbers right now, but one day they will care. Fixing the PR problem the game has will be a long process, and starting on some of that damage control now will pay off in the long run.

Fixing bugs that require changing important parts of the engine would be better to hammer out earlier rather than later, as the more stuff they add the higher the risk of those fixes breaking other aspects of the game.

Edited by Kidori
  • Like 1

This!

You don't wait until you are painting the house, and doing the landscaping, to fix issues with the foundation.  I agree that there are many polish type bugs that you can let go, until near the end, but core game engine issues should be fixed right away...or sooner rather than later.  Part of the PR problem is that many of these issues have been with ARK since the beginning.  What gamers begin to understand is that some companies just never get around to fixing the bugs.  They push out game content, and never fix the bugs.  Gamers are learning that the only way to send a message, is to not buy, until the bugs are fixed.  With many of these issues, they cannot wait until right before the game goes live, to finally address them.  They need to fix them now, because people do come to the game between now and then, and so those bugs drive away more people who go on to tell people that the game still isn't fixed.

I think there needs to be an epiphany, that EA games cannot be developed the same exact way that you would develop a non-EA game.  We are talking 2 years, minimum, where people will be playing this game, before it actually goes live.  A game that is basically fully developed before it goes live, can let bugs go until the end, because nobody is playing it.

Think of it like this.  Two restaurants are being built.  One restaurant is not going to take it's first customer, until it is completely built.  As it is being built, it is learned the electrical junction box for the kitchen, is the wrong one.  It won't support the number of breakers that are needed, and the ones installed are too small.  Additionally, the refrigerators are discovered to have a problem and don't quite get cold enough.  OK, that doesn't have to be fixed right away, because no food is being stored, or prepared.

However, another restaurant, with the same issues, has opened the drive thru, while the restaurant is still being worked on.  They do not have the luxury of putting off those repairs until the restaurant is about to open, because they are already servicing customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Not true at all. It is never too early for fixing all the bugs. The main reason for that is because this company has a reputation for not fixing them even after release.

so yes, the bug fixes need to happen right now. I am not talking about soon but today. The one thing they have improved on is communication. Other than that they are still repeating a lot of the very same mistakes.

because of this, there is no reason to believe that they will ever do bug fixes because they have a track record for that behavior.

in all reality and judging by the numbers it is too late and nowhere near too early.

17 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This!

You don't wait until you are painting the house, and doing the landscaping, to fix issues with the foundation.  I agree that there are many polish type bugs that you can let go, until near the end, but core game engine issues should be fixed right away...or sooner rather than later.  Part of the PR problem is that many of these issues have been with ARK since the beginning.  What gamers begin to understand is that some companies just never get around to fixing the bugs.  They push out game content, and never fix the bugs.  Gamers are learning that the only way to send a message, is to not buy, until the bugs are fixed.  With many of these issues, they cannot wait until right before the game goes live, to finally address them.  They need to fix them now, because people do come to the game between now and then, and so those bugs drive away more people who go on to tell people that the game still isn't fixed.

I think there needs to be an epiphany, that EA games cannot be developed the same exact way that you would develop a non-EA game.  We are talking 2 years, minimum, where people will be playing this game, before it actually goes live.  A game that is basically fully developed before it goes live, can let bugs go until the end, because nobody is playing it.

Think of it like this.  Two restaurants are being built.  One restaurant is not going to take it's first customer, until it is completely built.  As it is being built, it is learned the electrical junction box for the kitchen, is the wrong one.  It won't support the number of breakers that are needed, and the ones installed are too small.  Additionally, the refrigerators are discovered to have a problem and don't quite get cold enough.  OK, that doesn't have to be fixed right away, because no food is being stored, or prepared.

However, another restaurant, with the same issues, has opened the drive thru, while the restaurant is still being worked on.  They do not have the luxury of putting off those repairs until the restaurant is about to open, because they are already servicing customers.

This! As well

2 hours ago, Kidori said:

This is true and adheres to general game development philosophy. However this game suffers from a major PR problem in the PC gaming community at large.

Many people will not play the game even if it were given for free because of the bad reviews. Those reviews are largely negative because of major bugs and cheaters going unpunished.

They've stated that they're not worried about player numbers right now, but one day they will care. Fixing the PR problem the game has will be a long process, and starting on some of that damage control now will pay off in the long run.

Fixing bugs that require changing important parts of the engine would be better to hammer out earlier rather than later, as the more stuff they add the higher the risk of those fixes breaking other aspects of the game.

Nope. Just because in general it would be the case. Wildcard is not on par with this sort of thing.

you can have your opinion or beliefs, but at the end of the day you are just wrong

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Realist said:

Nope. Just because in general it would be the case. Wildcard is not on par with this sort of thing.

you can have your opinion or beliefs, but at the end of the day you are just wrong

I'm confused what part you believe is wrong. The part where I came to the conclusion that they should be working on fixing major bugs or the first sentence that you read and skipped over the rest.

10 minutes ago, Kidori said:

I'm confused what part you believe is wrong. The part where I came to the conclusion that they should be working on fixing major bugs or the first sentence that you read and skipped over the rest.

Wasn’t trying to be mean or anything and yes your last part about bug fixes is actually correct. I shouldn’t have just said you are wrong because that did imply that the whole statement was wrong. That was my bad.

the PR part however will not help in any case. Good example would be ced right now on Twitter. He is the new CM and he has been doing a very awesome job by the way for ark. I really respect that guy. He stepped up and took all of the criticism that has been building up for years. Guess what though? Ark is actually making changes now(yeah very late). The thing is until atlas decides to make the changes the PR isn’t going to mean $&@“.

the last thing they need to do right now is try to “hype” any kind of BS or do any kind of damage control because the fact still remains that they have gated content on an early access game(very stupid), new content that is rare to find(even more stupid), rates that are that of a finished game(completely stupid), and their community is what the real problem is. PR or damage co trip should be the last of their worries(mind you I named more than just bug fixes).

people were putting up with their PR and hype BS for a long time. If you look now the reception of ark’s tweets now are actually pretty positive. When I give them respect, most of the others that frequent twitter are very surprised to say the least. They are making big changes. The most recent is that they finally did mass bans on  under meshing(this could be an indicator of the drop in playerbase). 

This game has to become a different game or it is $&@“. That is all there is to it. I don’t care who likes the game. They really aren’t important at this point. 58k people were the peak, now there is less than 5k. 

They made their biggest mistake by making the main reason to play the fear of losing your $&@“. Not just that but crafting materials requires different types of the same resource? That wasn’t innovative, it was stupid.

once again we are here at genre blending. If you look at the earliest posts people were talking about this being a pirate survival mmo. Since then it has become a pirate fantasy mmo. Then people wanted to argue what fantasy/sci-fi really was. In the most recent posts(go ahead and look) I haven’t seen most of the people mention the “survival” part at all. It is still very much a survival game though. In fact because of the mechanics it much more resembles a “survival” genre way more than an mmo(nowhere even close by genre or playerbase standards), fantasy(more sci-fi), pirate(it’s ark), well sailing? Sure, you sail a lot gg.

either way they can’t save the game by worrying about what these “players” care about. Plain and simple.

9 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

And because of bad balancing and bugs they lost 55K players in the first few months, not because of lack of content. You can’t build a game on a broken foundation, that won’t end well. 

• Like 3

I get these shooter game error crashes daily, literally not a day goes by where I don't have game crash.

I usually have around 3 a day depending how long I play but it never used to be like this, not sure what they changed but hope they fix it.

I also get alot of lag in game, tried deleting lights and everything else, I assume it is to many big structures on the island but can be very bad.

I crash from time to time but it isn't super common. But what is a constant pain is having to deal with PrimalGameData_BP eternally loading unless I  try to play without battle eye, get kicked, then play with battle eye every time. A small gripe but I would love to just play the game without having to boot up the game twice each time.

• You know what? Here's another one. But no, that doesn't happen often...

sgbX025.png

• After this screenshot it crashed a third time within 30 minutes. But this time without an error message.

• 3 minutes later #4

noD5L1Y.png

Edited by TheBeast

On 6/5/2019 at 11:01 PM, DocHolliday said:

Jup, well, now its mid 2021, and the game still crash a lOt. Right now I stay online on xbox s for around 30sec, and I crash. I get it that this game is not fully released but they need to understand that since they are taking money for this game, in this state, they at the least need to make it functional. I mean, we must at the least be able to run this code

Edited by ZimBack
Typo

On 8/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, ZimBack said:

Jup, well, now its mid 2021, and the game still crash a lOt. Right now I stay online on xbox s for around 30sec, and I crash. I get it that this game is not fully released but they need to understand that since they are taking money for this game, in this state, they at the least need to make it functional. I mean, we must at the least be able to run this code

If you are having that much trouble with the game and staying online you are pretty much asking for it at this point.

those kinds of people don’t even need to be complaining in all honesty.

Or people like you being a total DBag. The game is fun and it's also a crashing mess. He was hoping for help not some sarcastic guy who is having a bad day. Real productive reply buddy. One might say you deserved this more than him trying to play the game 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:35 AM, Nicksubishi said:

Or people like you being a total DBag. The game is fun and it's also a crashing mess. He was hoping for help not some sarcastic guy who is having a bad day. Real productive reply buddy. One might say you deserved this more than him trying to play the game 

Well I am sure he appreciates all the help you just gave him as well. Didn’t even have anything to do with the thread. Smh and lmao

😢

Edited by George of the jungle

which fool uses T for commands when taming? Ur own fault. U dont know the exact range of T and whether u have to look at it or not etc and if the game has recognized it or not.
U deserved to lose that one animal. Why do u write so much when u know nobody (devs) care? Make ur points short and precise. DOntg come here and tell stories

Edited by chukiki