Tindalen

Ship speed calculations based on weight

17 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

Great work, but can you explain what 0.200, 0.3, 0.4, etc are?? What are the percentages for ? speed? knots? speed loss? Great graph if you can provide a legend to follow.

Thanks!

The .2, .3 .4 etc are the amount of weight you currently have on your ship in reference to your max weight just in a percentage form.  .3 would be 30% of max weight -or- the given number under it.  So for a brand new schooner at .3 of max weight you will be around 2700 weight out of your max weight of 9000.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Remcott

31 minutes ago, Remcott said:

The .2, .3 .4 etc are the amount of weight you currently have on your ship in reference to your max weight just in a percentage form.  .3 would be 30% of max weight -or- the given number under it.  So for a brand new schooner at .3 of max weight you will be around 2700 weight out of your max weight of 9000.  Hope that helps.

Yup, now I get it..Thank you SIR!!!! Great spreadsheet, thanks for this!!!

Kinda part of the topic, but we got some new Large Speed Sail BP's last night and there was no speed modifier listed.  I know it has not been working, but they actually removed the non-working stat like the speed modifier on armor.  Appears it might be awhile longer to get that fixed.  Never is also on the table.  I hope they can work it into the next mega update.  

I believe most people would like to see this back in the game and working. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Kinda part of the topic, but we got some new Large Speed Sail BP's last night and there was no speed modifier listed.  I know it has not been working, but they actually removed the non-working stat like the speed modifier on armor.  Appears it might be awhile longer to get that fixed.  Never is also on the table.  I hope they can work it into the next mega update.  

I believe most people would like to see this back in the game and working. 

If they removed the misleading information from them, I am happier. At least the silent masses won't be throwing good resources at them anymore.

What is the max speed that can be achieved with each boat stripped down? My best speed is like 24k in a schooner. 

I think this information CAN be useful and after reading the comments having speed makes sense to stay alive. However, if able to travel 10 knots over 14 knots will it be that much a penalty to add an extra 8 cannons or soo? Maybe some risk of speed is better than being light with little ammo and cannons? It is a balance game on how to manage speed, weight, and cannons. Sure ya can strip down and be all speed sails with no cannons does that make ya the better ship? And having all cannons to the sky with all weight traveling at 2 knots does that make ya the better ship?

I think some of these tests need is not based on percentage of how much is full but the weight capacity equal with the sails.

For example a ship that can hold 15,000 cargo and is filled 90% and a ship that can hold 18,000 and filled 90% may have a different speed factor for example.

The 18,000 capacity ship is  filled with 6,300 weight is equal to 35% but a ship with 15,000 with 6,300 is at 42% the overall weight and weight the ship is hauling MATTERS not just percent. If we do 35% flat rate the 15,000 would be hauling 5250 weight at 35% compare to the 18,000 it is 29%. 

So yes Speed sail could make a difference but if ya can increase with a mythical weight sail adding 230% to the 4500 will add an additional 10,350 weight. Which means more cannons or more ammo. 

A graph seeing in knots and weight would be a better understanding than percent. 

I would love to see a super speed full brig or galleon with little cannons vs a average speed version with more cannons and see the battle. Sometimes the ship doesn't make captain but the captain makes the ship.

9 hours ago, Stan759 said:

I would love to see a super speed full brig or galleon with little cannons vs a average speed version with more cannons and see the battle. Sometimes the ship doesn't make captain but the captain makes the ship.

With captains that know what they are doing and this setup...
The faster ship controls the fight... it can run... it can chase...
The heavier (armed) ship cannot run, it cannot chase... Its only option is to "cross the T" of the other ship to get rid if its sails...
At the moment the sails are gone, we have a sitting duck vs an now obvious faster opponent, that can maneuver out of firing arc and can shoot at the duck as much as it wants...
At that point it does not matter how much DPS the ship makes... as long as it can deliver enough damage = cannon balls to overcome repairs... with them munition box expect to have always enough...

That in combination with you not need that much firepower to barshot the sails, being light makes you on average more deadly and survivable (run away)...

That is why fleet operations have become more important... where it becomes a numbers game and not a speed game when contact is established... and then you can go full armed heavy and slug it out... just know you cannot get away... so bring more ships...