Sign in to follow this  
Tytos

What's the point of small ships?

Big ones have more firepower

Big ones have more hp

Big ones can turn faster

Big ones sail significantly faster

Wouldn't it be logical (from both a realism and gameplay perspective) for small ships to be faster than big ones? It's annoying to see a Sloop with 9 knots getting overtaken by a Galleon with 22 knots.

• Like 1

Yes but....

but...

ummm.....

oh I know!

Small ships use less wind?

I mean you can really save a bundle on your wind bills right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tytos said:

Big ones have more hp

Big ones can turn faster

Wouldn't it be logical (from both a realism and gameplay perspective) for small ships to be faster than big ones? It's annoying to see a Sloop with 9 knots getting overtaken by a Galleon with 22 knots.

Because in reality a galleon IS faster than a sloop. In reality you cannot put so large a mast on such a small vessel as you can in-game. In reality a galleon has something like 15x the sail of a sloop, not 6x. An actual sloop is relatively slow by comparison, especially in choppy seas because it cannot cut through the waves as easily. It's not like cars where you have the exact same engine in two different models and the lighter one will be faster on a straightaway. It makes perfect sense that a larger ship with more mass and proportionately more sail will always overtake a ship with less mass and less sail on open water. That's just physics.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Reality aside, the answer is the dev team working on this game is unfortunately lacking in some basic game theory. Specifically, how to create any semblance of risk vs reward or proper incentives. 

In thier shallow attempt at it, the best they could come up with is......it takes more resources to build.

In fact, the entire concept is as follows:

More = More

More resources = moar better boat

More people = moar better company

More tames = moar skill

More islands = moar game

Its sad really. 

• Like 1

I don't know if something like this could be done,  but maybe they should change how render distance for ships works, so that bigger ships can be seen for a much longer distance than the smaller ones. Making the sloop something that you are unable to see unless you are very close to them could make them useful in some situations, at least for pvp.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tytos said:

Big ones have more hp

Big ones can turn faster

Galleons cannot turn faster.. I can sail loops around a galleon with a schooner.  They also have shallower drafts and don't get stuck as often as gallys do.   As for running speed.. not really important in a fight with hydra or sotds, ability to dodge fire is tho.  Esp since it seems everything just does percentage shots, so it doesn't really matter if you have 6k hull planks for 20k planks.. it still does 5% damage to both.

10 hours ago, znasser said:

I don't know if something like this could be done,  but maybe they should change how render distance for ships works, so that bigger ships can be seen for a much longer distance than the smaller ones. Making the sloop something that you are unable to see unless you are very close to them could make them useful in some situations, at least for pvp.

Sloop? U really want a sloop to have a war use? That ship which costs 1k wood? 

There are schooners, brigs and gallys for PvP. Sloop is just that first ship where you learn how to sail. 

Edited by Willard

11 hours ago, znasser said:

That's a great idea.

A sloop is extremely cheap, so a great ship for new sailors to learn on. It’s not particularly good at anything, but it costs 1/12 the resources of the next ship up. It’s literally disposable so it’s shortcomings are of little consequence.

the schooner is faster than a brig, and is a fabulous light ship that can literally do anything! 

The brig is the ultimate all rounder and an excellent progression from a schooner, just a little slower.

the galleon is a beast in a straight line, but it’s poor turning doesn’t make it a great multi role day to day use ship. I mean you can, it’s just frustrating sometimes.

20 hours ago, Tytos said:

Big ones have more hp

Big ones can turn faster

If you start game then sloop i best cause that's the one u can buy at free port.

Schooner is really fast and i still use it for traveling, i also use sloops as well for little traveling.

For fight and cargo i use brigantine about galleon its good for some big company i'm personally don't like sail with Galleon.

Here's video  so tell more that small ships are useless or something 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Willard said:

Sloop? U really want a sloop to have a war use? That ship which costs 1k wood? 

There are schooners, brigs and gallys for PvP. Sloop is just that first ship where you learn how to sail. 

I haven't used a sloop in ages, and even if they improve it the way i proposed i doubt i'd use it, but people have been asking for some love for the sloop the same ages i haven't used it.

11 minutes ago, znasser said:

I haven't used a sloop in ages, and even if they improve it the way i proposed i doubt i'd use it, but people have been asking for some love for the sloop the same ages i haven't used it.

I know but honestly its just a cheap ship for beginners to learn how to sail. No war use.

1 hour ago, Hexaron said:

If you start game then sloop i best cause that's the one u can buy at free port.

Schooner is really fast and i still use it for traveling, i also use sloops as well for little traveling.

For fight and cargo i use brigantine about galleon its good for some big company i'm personally don't like sail with Galleon.

Here's video  so tell more that small ships are useless or something 🙂

Excellent video, always wondered if this would work.  Problem is dealing with the other 4 ships.. whilst trying to kill each one. 

Thus most battles are you kiting lines of sotd behind you, broadsides are only for when they spawn all around you or on a gally and you know you won't turn in time.

That said, I have actually sank an entire group of sotd, by sitting with sails down and just broadsided them all with large cannons at max range manually firing.  3 of the ships were red.   But that really just points out that 22 large cannons is a thing.. and noone wants that incoming.

Large cannons are however a very expensive day out.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

I keep saying, they need to make a sloop doc on galleys for use as an upgraded dingy and to go around islands and shit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I keep saying, they need to make a sloop doc on galleys for use as an upgraded dingy and to go around islands and shit.

i think  sloop is too big for that but  why not add option for little sail for  Dinghy 🙂

It could fit on the new cargo docks, instead of docking cargo, we could dock a sloop, plenty of galleons in the ole days used to have a sloop on board as well as ships of the line, for people to be ferried ashore in a little more luxury than a rowing boat.

It would certainly be useful for picking up loot from the sotd as well as exploring islands.

Edited by Martyn

A sailing dinghy would be fantastic. Keep the current weight limit, drip it to two crew max, and it would be very useful.

The current dinghy may be what most people are familiar with (movies or historical), but how many players actually use one?

37 minutes ago, Hexaron said:

i think  sloop is too big for that but  why not add option for little sail for  Dinghy 🙂

They seem to have heeded to my (and very likely tons of other people's) suggestion to increase the weight of weight sails to make them not useless.

The sloop looks like the upper end size of a pinnace. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnace_(ship's_boat)

The sloop would be your fast light ship that goes to shore. The dingy should be your heavy one. Make the dingy come with a cargo chest/have one buildable on it and share the weight of the ship it was launched from. This way you can ferry resources to your boat without needing to get wet.

29 minutes ago, Martyn said:

It could fit on the new cargo docks, instead of docking cargo, we could dock a sloop, plenty of galleons in the ole days used to have a sloop on board as well as ships of the line, for people to be ferried ashore in a little more luxury than a rowing boat.

It would certainly be useful for picking up loot from the sotd as well as exploring islands.

I doubt it.

Pro tip: Diving suite = no sharks and faster then a boat for picking up SotD loot and crew without using a grappling hook (which can get the loot quickly)

16 hours ago, gadefence said:

I doubt it.

Pro tip: Diving suite = no sharks and faster then a boat for picking up SotD loot and crew without using a grappling hook (which can get the loot quickly)

In my book that's an exploit.  So I won't do that.

16 hours ago, Salty Del said:

A sailing dinghy would be fantastic. Keep the current weight limit, drip it to two crew max, and it would be very useful.

The current dinghy may be what most people are familiar with (movies or historical), but how many players actually use one?

I use it all the time to get loot for when there's islands with snakes.. i hate snakes.

It would be more useful if it actually went faster with 4 people rowing, but it really doesn't.   It might even be more fun, if you could get crewmen to row as well or at least tell the ones you've rescued to sit down.. instead of acting as shark bait.