Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

Dev Team is aware Sailing is boring, and are discussing methods to make it more interesting!

12 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

I for one DONT want more interesting Sailing...

We already have ships of the damned hugging server lines!

Whales that one shot ships!

Land not marked on the map!

Storms...

Mermaids

Sailing isn't suppose to be this dangerous!  And I for one do not welcome waisted Development time on features to make sailing worse yet!!!

*runs off to the suggestion forums to suggest barnacles that need cleaning once per week or more or negatively impact speed.*

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

So you say it sounds like you are boring,but its not meant as an insult! then you go on to call the person depressed and miserable,was that not meant as an insult too?you need to chill out and live and let live,someone finds sailing boring,someone else doesnt,thats life, there is no need to get personal over it ,it's an opinion and this is a forum.

You're taking a thought as a personal attack.. a viewpoint as a violent act, against you.  However, they are not, they aren't really even, directed specifically at you or anyone else.  But they are observations on people, in life, in general.  And if it is true, then, shouldn't you know to? Is it such a dreadful, terrible thing, for someone to tell you, what they think you might be suffering from? Are you so terrified of truth?

If I was bleeding, I would welcome someone pointing this out.. if I wasn't aware.  The first stage of self healing, is admittance to the truth.  The first part of survival is accepting the facts.  You can decide if you're actually miserable or depressed, I'm just pointing out, that in my humble opinion, that, this is what your posts and threads look like to me, I do not, intend to insult you, just pointing out truth as I see it. 

I apologise, if you honestly feel, that I have purposefully chosen to insult you.  I would not do this to anyone.  I don't call people names. I am, far more violent irl.  I firmly believe that hitting a child that has done wrong is better than telling them, that they're bad.  For as you point out, this is only my opinion.  And they have theirs.  Which enables people to act how so ever they wish, because they aren't bad people, they just have their own opinion and that makes everything okay.

Think about it..

Edited by Martyn

19 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*runs off to the suggestion forums to suggest barnacles that need cleaning once per week or more or negatively impact speed.*

Or at least once every 80 ingame years, forcing you to rejuvenate your ships hull as well as yourself.   Maybe we should replace our ships planks as they slowly degrade over time, create a chance, that whilst out sailing at sea, a mast might snap and break or a plank might blow out.. and our ship randomly starts sinking..

That'd make life more interesting perhaps.   Maybe our crew will get sick from eating the same maize, the same beets, the same turnips, day in, day out.  They will demand more gold per hour whilst sick and sick days off, next time we reach port, with whoring time on top of that, to satisfy their other needs.  All paid for, by me.  Because it needs to be more interesting.

Perhaps we need lightning in storms, to strike our ships, punching holes through the decks.. melting cannons on their racks.  Maybe striking ammunition crates.. causing wide spread damage to our ships.

Think of the damage a whale does.. imagine the damage 500 large exploding cannon balls would do..

I'd probably stop sailing altogether.. just row the dingy out, by myself.. smaller target, no exploding ammunitions.. no crew..  Just me against the elements.

Edited by Martyn

2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Or at least once every 80 ingame years, forcing you to rejuvenate your ships hull as well as yourself.   Maybe we should replace our ships planks as they slowly degrade over time, create a chance, that whilst out sailing at sea, a mast might snap and break or a plank might blow out.. and our ship randomly starts sinking..

That'd make life more interesting perhaps.   Maybe our crew will get sick from eating the same maize, the same beets, the same turnips, day in, day out.  They will demand more gold per hour whilst sick and sick days off, next time we reach port, with whoring time on top of that, to satisfy their other needs.  All paid for, by me.  Because it needs to be more interesting.

*starts scribbling notes, ignoring the fact this is all posted in written form.*

Oooo yeah, good ideas, good ideas. Maybe we could even have crew HMO's for their health care needs and you couldn't leave port until paying the harbormaster your crew's premium that you have to cover as their employer. And in the finest traditions of the IRS, you would be responsible for doing all the math to figure out what you owed, instead of just being presented a bill like pretty much every other @#$%ing organization on earth. (Seriously, why do we as US taxpayers still put up with this nonsense?)

Here's the icing on the cake: A mini game (since everyone LOVES the mini games in Atlas) that you'd have to play to pay the harbormaster the correct amount or face a surcharge penalty for being off slightly. The penalty would bear no meaningful or rational relationship to the amount of the error, just an arbitrary figure taken out of your pocket. 

Doesn't that sound like fun?

• Like 1

I like this, I feel we are moving forward in this discussion.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

I like this, I feel we are moving forward in this discussion.

I took this seriously and forced myself trough the whole thread :skull:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

*starts scribbling notes, ignoring the fact this is all posted in written form.*

Oooo yeah, good ideas, good ideas. Maybe we could even have crew HMO's for their health care needs and you couldn't leave port until paying the harbormaster your crew's premium that you have to cover as their employer. And in the finest traditions of the IRS, you would be responsible for doing all the math to figure out what you owed, instead of just being presented a bill like pretty much every other @#$%ing organization on earth. (Seriously, why do we as US taxpayers still put up with this nonsense?)

Here's the icing on the cake: A mini game (since everyone LOVES the mini games in Atlas) that you'd have to play to pay the harbormaster the correct amount or face a surcharge penalty for being off slightly. The penalty would bear no meaningful or rational relationship to the amount of the error, just an arbitrary figure taken out of your pocket. 

Doesn't that sound like fun?

I don't want to be "that guy" but pirates did get a rudimentary form of worker's comp, and we already have taxes in the game so while it's a bit over-the-top the premise is not that far fetched.

Might want to hold your tongue or we may end up with that.

Edited by Kidori

1 hour ago, Kidori said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but pirates did get a rudimentary form of worker's comp, and we already have taxes in the game so while it's a bit over-the-top the premise is not that far fetched.

Might want to hold your tongue or we may end up with that.

I will cut you.

18 hours ago, Martyn said:

I could have said, exactly the same thing, word for word.. about you.

But I didn't.  I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, as much as pointing out, that other's have different opinions on your viewpoint.  If anyone is dictating, it is you.  Not I.   I do not offer you innuendos, threats, abuse, insults.  But You do.

You've actually told multiple people they were wrong, that sailing isn't boring and that "we were boring". If by saying that your posts are whiny, is the same as making an assumption that a person is depressed and miserable, then honestly there is no talking to you, there is no debate, because you're living in your own little world. 

ATLAS radio station. Radio on the ship to play music, news, weather forecast😀

No!!  No fast travel for ships, period.  Atlas is supposed to be a huge world.  No one has to sail the whole map. The resources are placed where really, one only has to sail a quarter of the world. 

Maps? Stick to the ones close to home. Sail a few sectors away to find higher level maps in or next to your sector, if ya want.

Discoveries, yes. But why the rush to get 2500 discoveries? 

This is not an instant gratification game.  I don't think survival/sandbox games should be.

Take the time to smell the roses on what should be a long journey.  We rush around so much in real life,  try the opposite and you may just enjoy something you would have missed.

Adding ships,  activities when sailing, etc. Fine. But no warp speed sailing ships, tyvm. 

7606dd1442b1d558799827fa5fee2364098225bf943a79728e4e1f960e1fb24a.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/8/2019 at 10:47 PM, boomervoncannon said:

I will cut you.

Bad news boss, the crew unionized while you were logged...

I can't believe the irony,you said no warp,atlas is supposed to be a huge world yet in the next few lines you are telling people they can play with only a quarter of it?I don't see anything wrong with strategically placed fast travel over the map,you'd probably have to find it first anyway.Nearly all other mmos have some kind of system in place even when their maps are small,and it hasn't ruined them.Personally i'd settle for airships instead but that's just personal preference.As the mmos i've noticed that don't have fast travel do at least have flight in some way,some mmos have both too.

48 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

I can't believe the irony,you said no warp,atlas is supposed to be a huge world yet in the next few lines you are telling people they can play with only a quarter of it?I don't see anything wrong with strategically placed fast travel over the map,you'd probably have to find it first anyway.Nearly all other mmos have some kind of system in place even when their maps are small,and it hasn't ruined them.Personally i'd settle for airships instead but that's just personal preference.As the mmos i've noticed that don't have fast travel do at least have flight in some way,some mmos have both too.

I don't see any irony.  If people don't want to sail a long distance they don't have to do so. But, for the discoveries yes, but, thats elective. 

The world is supposed to be huge. One reason is for PvP.  You don't want everyone piled on top of eachother. 

So, warp drive sailing ships....a huge company could warp drive a couple fleets to attack.  You don't see a potential problem with that?

Though it may be a great idea there is one huge hurdle. Moving faster means crossing grids faster. Means rendering faster. Means weaker PCs will have issues playing the game. Smaller weaker servers will struggle to run Atlas. This could be something they do people, important to understand it likely will not come until near Beta if not in Beta. Even  when they get it in game there are going to be unhappy people that may not be able to use it for performance issues. That will be another reason to hop on the Atlas Hate Wagon....

GS do not get me wrong I have and will support you. Love how you have pulled this game together. Careful what you attempt and remember the mistakes of being nice to the Ark Community and what that got you. Betting all those negative reviews are Ark player bought the game to attack you. Even now you are an entirely different company but referred to as WC. People do not want to except reality beyond their own.

The lag issue isn't true at all,I get more lag through sailing long distances than any other point in the game,and it has nothing to do with my pc.I know i'm not the only one either.The only thing that I got lag from in ark was the massive amounts of tames around me.Which seems to be the same direction everyone wants with atlas,bizarre because they seem to have fled ark and now want the same things here.conan exiles has a small form of fast travel,wow,eso,FFonline,no mans sky,and some of the others have got either fast flight or fast travel or both.Fast flight to me would be a better option,but knowing this game I would have to beat every single boss armed with a banana skin,just to unlock it.

So many concerns, screaming for a solution. What ever will we do?

• Content/encounters aren't frequent enough while travelling: Fix speed sails
  • Distances to trade/hunt maps/seek resources take too long: Fix speed sails
  • Bad winds make travel extra boring: Fix speed sails

Does this completely solve these problems? No.

Does the timing of the increased concern over travelling boredom coincide with the rough timing of the bug/tuning that broke speed sails? Yes.

Does it provide a mitigation and goal for people who really care about the above issues? Yes.

Does it adversely impact those who don't care about the above issues? PvP - Yes. PvE - No.

Will people continue to leave the game never to return because they are bored? Yes.

Are there reasons not to fix the bug/tuning that caused the break? Definitely, but we don't know what they are, and because they haven't discussed them openly, we have to assume that they are either because of an exploit, impact on backend server performance, front-end client performance, or some combination of all three.

Sailing is just fine aside from the current issue of the blueprinted sails not working properly. My suggestion is to add card games. Blackjack, poker, some sort of pirate card game even, dice, something along these lines so its an actual mini game and not a skill check. This would give player something to do on the high sea and also give the ability to gamble some of that hard earned gold away.  As it stands now, gold is just another resource we have to farm for taxes and npcs. Currently with the shops there is potential for more but the only time you ever see them is at a freeport and are a little lackluster imo. Adding cardgames, dice, darts, or any minigame would help fill the gap on the sea and may bring more players together on land to conduct business while enjoying some leisure time rather than just running a map or conducting combat.

Please for the love of god do not add teleporting ships though. Its a sailing game. Any large mmo has its moments of long travels (ie: EVE online). The sails are bugged atm (far as I know) to where blueprinted sails granting a velocity bonus do not actually give that bonus atm. They may say 105% velocity but actually only give 100%

• Like 1

If the devs are thinking about nerfing their game to a point where the whole concept is gone.....  What's the point.  It's a sailing game....  I thought..  Geez..  here we go..   Game over taken by those who apparently would rather be playing CoD for their quick fix.

Seems in the last few patches they have made it worse already.   Now it's like skating on ice when it rains.... not sure why.   Pretty soon you'll be able to take out the whole back drop of Pirates and sailing and put any insert lame character and backdrop and have the same cookie cutter game that's been on the market for the last 2 decades.

• Like 1

If you have got to add the ability to play another game inside the game itself just to keep people from jumping ship out of monotony, then houston,we have a problem.I play this game to relieve boredom at times,if I then find something in it tedious or monotonous to do,then I dont think adding another game within is facing the issue.ok you could say well quit the game,but if everybody who didnt like an aspect of some mmo quit,there would technically by reason of description be no mmo left.I am sure that the people who are anti fast travel have other parts of the game they would like to see changed,just look at the replies in this topic to see travel time must be one of the biggest issues in the game right now,it needs a solution.