Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

Dev Team is aware Sailing is boring, and are discussing methods to make it more interesting!

19 hours ago, Hexaron said:

Atlas sailing is  good as it is and i love it no need anything to change here

Why u guys playing ship games if u hate sailing ? That game is not for you then...

because it's not actually sailing, it's sitting at a desk watching pixels in the form of a ship sailing, I like being on the water in real life, there is a sense of adventure, my time is spent on the sea, or rivers spent looking at wildlife, and scenery. There isn't much of that to do in this game, you just watch the ship pixels move through the water pixels. i'd rather catch up on a couple episodes of a show i like, or watch a movie on my other monitor. I love this game, but making long trips is just Dull, there was another thread where people were voicing their opinions as well. 

on a side note, we had a four man crew on a brig last night to go to powerstones for them, as soon as we were done with the stone and setting off for another one 3 out of 4 went back to doing something else whether it be creating another ship, or harvesting materials on another island, and the 1 was  left alone to watch ship pixels move through water pixels.

36 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

just watch the ship pixels move through the water pixels.

The whole game is pixels you moron so by your standard it all sucks.

Crying about this crap is just another example of people ruining things for someone else. Whiners will be gone in a month anyway, leaving the people to live with their snowflake crap they did to this game. Its too hard! Im too hungry! Content locked behind achievements! Whine whine whine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Crying about this crap is just another example of people ruining things for someone else. Whiners will be gone in a month anyway, leaving the people to live with their snowflake crap they did to this game. Its too hard! Im too hungry! Content locked behind achievements! Whine whine whine.

The toxicity with some of you never ends, calling names because of a Difference in opinion.  So because you like the monotony of watching a ship sail through a virtual ocean I'm a moron... Think again. 

It is all pixels but watching a ship sail for hours on end is not what many view fun, with over 1,000 hours in this game I'm allowed to voice my opinion in any channel if this forum whether it agrees with yours or not I couldn't care less. 

Stow the hard-core keyboard warrior shit and stfu

1 hour ago, trqfreak350 said:

I'm allowed to voice my opinion in any channel if this forum whether it agrees with yours or not I couldn't care less

Ditto.

8 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Nah, I can guarantee you will be long gone before I am. You are already old news as far as I am concerned. You complain about people complaining. Your stay will be short lived because rest assured, this game is going to change and the complainers of the complainers will be gone.

time to get used to that. Once console releases I will be pushing a lot of changes. It is time for this game to reach its full potential.

we are the future and you are the past. Welcome to the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

While I do love sailing, most of my crew do get bored on long trips and watch youtube or play on their phone, lol. 

I thought a system similar to Eve's jump drives would be cool to have to quickly get to places you've been before. Make it an add on module that runs on some type of expensive fuel and has a limited range and cool down mechanic (like eve's fatigue). Some one in the desto system would have to light a beacon that also has fuel. Just like eve's cynos it should appear on the map which would make it risky and give away your position

Edited by jabnlab

I don't think Atlas is large enough to do this.  I also just don't like the idea of this type of mechanic in the game.  I know its labeled fantasy and has odd creatures and such, but it just stinks of a child puking day dreams out while on acid.  No flow. 

Piracy gets difficult when ships can instantly teleport to other areas of the map thus bypassing dangerous waters.  Ships being forced to actually sail places is how piracy happens. 

I'd love to see Atlas increase in size some day.  I like the idea of a huge world that very few people get to see all of.  There are companies far away we never heard of.  Companies we never see.  Drama, politics, etc between hundreds of companies that we might know and some we do not.  Let that drama spill out of game into the forums.  Let the propaganda fly and the chest pumping commence. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Thanks for the whine thread, now they added guns to the front of sotd galleons, I have to spend more time repairing my ships.

Thanks for that, hope it's more interesting for you now.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, vaylain said:

You sound like my wife. I never called you a name, I used troll as a verb...

It is, in fact, incorrect as a statement for how I feel as you have no clue but it is true that it seems to be your opinion. I happen to love many aspects offered by ATLAS, this is why I am still playing it. I love building structures, fighting with my shield, climbing with my grappling hook, exploring the islands and different biomes. I love building ships, taming animals, breeding animals, and fighting the NPCs. I even love it when I get to have a one-on-one PVP encounter but that does not mean that I need to also enjoy the "offline" griefing and sailing as it is currently in the game. This has nothing to do with the fact that I may enjoy sailing if a few aspects about it currently were to be agreeably modified. So, your argument is flawed.

Only troll here is you snowflake:) im so happy to tell that for you please teleport now in court to acuse me moron

Edited by Hexaron
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, trqfreak350 said:

The toxicity with some of you never ends, calling names because of a Difference in opinion.  So because you like the monotony of watching a ship sail through a virtual ocean I'm a moron... Think again. 

It is all pixels but watching a ship sail for hours on end is not what many view fun, with over 1,000 hours in this game I'm allowed to voice my opinion in any channel if this forum whether it agrees with yours or not I couldn't care less. 

Stow the hard-core keyboard warrior shit and stfu

The point is, that's how everything is.. what do you want to make it more interesting? Noone makes any suggestions.. you just want it to be less boring.. ok so sailing is boring.. exploring the map to find every archway, so you can get points moving from island to island, often against the wind, just to push your max level.. is kinda boring, but that's how it is.

They change it to make it more interesting and for many of us, myself especially, will find it more tedious having to deal with what you called boring.  But is now more interesting, and nutcutters point is well made, nearly all the spammers, the people building great walls of docks, spamming docks, building 50 ships, blocking and hogging the islands, all complaining about how easy/hard it is.. they've all quit.  Or they log in every 5 days to maintain. 

Everyone in my company is the same.. many haven't even played for over a month now, some only played for a day then logged out.  Crews all mutineed long ago and I'm still here.. sailing around, exploring. Feeding tames, maintaining ships.  For an empty company essentially of people who find the game boring.. all quit.  To complain about a myriad load of other games instead. 

The point is, sailing isn't boring.. it is.. if nothing happens, but alot does happen and people choose to not doing anything.. that's your fault for not making it interesting.  Not the devs.. they've added enough, now they've added more and kiting is a pain to do, don't mind brigs or schooners have forward facing guns, but gallys hit hard.. and soon all you folks wanting a more interesting sailing experience, will have quit and moved on and I'll still be dealing with the interesting stuff they added to make your experience better.

Running through a forest is boring.. sailing is boring, flying is boring.. but it's how you get from A to B in most games.  What do you want? To make it more interesting? mermaids dragging you off your ship? ships of the damned trying to cut you up? Sharks trying to eat your face off.. there's wrecks to dive for, flotsam to collect.. how else would it be more interesting?

Oh right.. you want instant teleports.. faster travel.. basically you want a "i win" button.. that's your answer to it's boring otherwise? 

And I'm not specifically saying you said this.. but it's the general view in the majority of those agreeing that it's boring, but noone is actually suggesting what would make it more interesting.. if anything, you want it to be even more boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

The point is, that's how everything is.. what do you want to make it more interesting? Noone makes any suggestions.. you just want it to be less boring.. ok so sailing is boring.. exploring the map to find every archway, so you can get points moving from island to island, often against the wind, just to push your max level.. is kinda boring, but that's how it is.

They change it to make it more interesting and for many of us, myself especially, will find it more tedious having to deal with what you called boring.  But is now more interesting, and nutcutters point is well made, nearly all the spammers, the people building great walls of docks, spamming docks, building 50 ships, blocking and hogging the islands, all complaining about how easy/hard it is.. they've all quit.  Or they log in every 5 days to maintain. 

Everyone in my company is the same.. many haven't even played for over a month now, some only played for a day then logged out.  Crews all mutineed long ago and I'm still here.. sailing around, exploring. Feeding tames, maintaining ships.  For an empty company essentially of people who find the game boring.. all quit.  To complain about a myriad load of other games instead. 

The point is, sailing isn't boring.. it is.. if nothing happens, but alot does happen and people choose to not doing anything.. that's your fault for not making it interesting.  Not the devs.. they've added enough, now they've added more and kiting is a pain to do, don't mind brigs or schooners have forward facing guns, but gallys hit hard.. and soon all you folks wanting a more interesting sailing experience, will have quit and moved on and I'll still be dealing with the interesting stuff they added to make your experience better.

Running through a forest is boring.. sailing is boring, flying is boring.. but it's how you get from A to B in most games.  What do you want? To make it more interesting? mermaids dragging you off your ship? ships of the damned trying to cut you up? Sharks trying to eat your face off.. there's wrecks to dive for, flotsam to collect.. how else would it be more interesting?

Oh right.. you want instant teleports.. faster travel.. basically you want a "i win" button.. that's your answer to it's boring otherwise? 

And I'm not specifically saying you said this.. but it's the general view in the majority of those agreeing that it's boring, but noone is actually suggesting what would make it more interesting.. if anything, you want it to be even more boring.

I've made several suggestion without ever hinting, of, in fact of being against fast traveling or making ships faster. So if anything you've not taken the time to read what people have written.

It boggles my mind that you're saying that because a facet of a game is boring to some, it's not the devs fault, it's ours and we need to invent ways of making it interesting... Did you stop to think that the sheer time investment required to make any progress is what keeps numbers low? I've got a dozen or so friends that won't even pick it up on sale because they don't want to grind day in day out and sail for days to make any kind of progress. They even do 2x weekends already to keep people grinding and help alleviate the tired repetition. It's nothing new to me with 3,000+ hours into ark. 

The thing that you miss in every thread is that when people are trying to gather resources for let's say mythical ballista or cannons being expedient and effecient with your time in doing so is best, I'm not diving wrecks because we have one hundred thousand gold stored already and when you've done them 100 times there isn't a lot that's gonna suprise you down there.

I'm not jumping in the water to play with sharks and I just blow through groups of ships and eat the damage and repair later because the time I have is valuable to me, I like this game so therefore I'm submitting my opinion on the state of sailing hours on end. I work 48-70 Hour weeks and I still play daily for small amoumts of time, and I make the best use of what I have. 

I've logged 1000 hours thus far, I'm still playing and sailing around DAILY and I make it interesting by watching a movie or catch up on some episodes of a show I've not had the time to watch. Hunted ships of the damned in C6 for BPs just today with 4 ships for about 3 hours as well. Also having gotten  hundreds of discovery points on islands and still counting. I can't be as hardcore and dedicate my life to sailing in a video game, good luck with your interest in it, and I'll keep doing what I have fun in this game doing. 

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, and everybody thinks that everybody else's stinks. Simple as that.

I do think the lane travel which someone have suggested before is good , you get to go fast , also make a perfect meal for pirate .

8 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I don't think Atlas is large enough to do this.  I also just don't like the idea of this type of mechanic in the game.  I know its labeled fantasy and has odd creatures and such, but it just stinks of a child puking day dreams out while on acid.  No flow. 

Piracy gets difficult when ships can instantly teleport to other areas of the map thus bypassing dangerous waters.  Ships being forced to actually sail places is how piracy happens. 

I'd love to see Atlas increase in size some day.  I like the idea of a huge world that very few people get to see all of.  There are companies far away we never heard of.  Companies we never see.  Drama, politics, etc between hundreds of companies that we might know and some we do not.  Let that drama spill out of game into the forums.  Let the propaganda fly and the chest pumping commence. 

It will never increas in size. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it started to shrink pretty soon.

1 hour ago, trqfreak350 said:

I've made several suggestion without ever hinting, of, in fact of being against fast traveling or making ships faster. So if anything you've not taken the time to read what people have written.

It boggles my mind that you're saying that because a facet of a game is boring to some, it's not the devs fault, it's ours and we need to invent ways of making it interesting... Did you stop to think that the sheer time investment required to make any progress is what keeps numbers low? I've got a dozen or so friends that won't even pick it up on sale because they don't want to grind day in day out and sail for days to make any kind of progress. They even do 2x weekends already to keep people grinding and help alleviate the tired repetition. It's nothing new to me with 3,000+ hours into ark. 

The thing that you miss in every thread is that when people are trying to gather resources for let's say mythical ballista or cannons being expedient and effecient with your time in doing so is best, I'm not diving wrecks because we have one hundred thousand gold stored already and when you've done them 100 times there isn't a lot that's gonna suprise you down there.

I'm not jumping in the water to play with sharks and I just blow through groups of ships and eat the damage and repair later because the time I have is valuable to me, I like this game so therefore I'm submitting my opinion on the state of sailing hours on end. I work 48-70 Hour weeks and I still play daily for small amoumts of time, and I make the best use of what I have. 

I've logged 1000 hours thus far, I'm still playing and sailing around DAILY and I make it interesting by watching a movie or catch up on some episodes of a show I've not had the time to watch. Hunted ships of the damned in C6 for BPs just today with 4 ships for about 3 hours as well. Also having gotten  hundreds of discovery points on islands and still counting. I can't be as hardcore and dedicate my life to sailing in a video game, good luck with your interest in it, and I'll keep doing what I have fun in this game doing. 

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, and everybody thinks that everybody else's stinks. Simple as that.

Everybody’s asshole does stink though lol

nah but I get what your are saying and I agree

and btw the guy you were talking to just got upset that I was blaming players 😂 he is just being a hypocrite 

Edited by Realist

I'd like them to have a Option of a weather forecast so u know where the wind is blowing And how Strong so you can time your Routes better And only Sail if the wind is good 😄 

• Thanks 1

Also Give them some Time,After making the Sail stats like max velocity work ships will get alot faster while uograding sails. Also weight sails And different configurations will be a thing than.

14 hours ago, trqfreak350 said:

Doesn't sound boring to me, it sounds like you are boring and I don't mean that as an insult.  Some people just see the worst in everything/one else.  And they seem to suffer 100x for it.  Nothing wrong with sailing in the game, the problems with boredom, is on us.  When you first play, it's all excitement and new, but after a 1000 hours.. how can it not be anything but boring.  I find plenty to do on ship trips, sextant, running around ship, fishing net, flotsam whilst sailing.. shooting sharks etc.. or dolphins.  We choose how we occupy our time, watching a movie etc is a choice too.  But not one i'd make.

What's stopping me playing, is essentially, because everyone else has already given up and yes, mostly because of the grind.  It's the same in elite and several other games, it's all grinding.. slow.. boring.. been there, got the t shirt, can't be bothered anymore.. it isn't the games.. we bought them because we wanted to play them.. it's us, we're the problem.

Just because you're depressed and miserable, doesn't mean, everyone else has to be as well.

Edited by Martyn

So you say it sounds like you are boring,but its not meant as an insult! then you go on to call the person depressed and miserable,was that not meant as an insult too?you need to chill out and live and let live,someone finds sailing boring,someone else doesnt,thats life, there is no need to get personal over it ,it's an opinion and this is a forum.

• Thanks 1

Take part in your own official forums more instead faffing about on reddit, clear professional community interaction instead of everywhere except your own platform. The official forum should be THE source of information and discussion. 

• Like 1

Starting to wonder if a lot of people here just want an arcade shooter/pirate game that provides them all the content. 

I always thought games like this are amazing because we ARE the content. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martyn said:

Doesn't sound boring to me, it sounds like you are boring and I don't mean that as an insult.  Some people just see the worst in everything/one else.  And they seem to suffer 100x for it.  Nothing wrong with sailing in the game, the problems with boredom, is on us.  When you first play, it's all excitement and new, but after a 1000 hours.. how can it not be anything but boring.  I find plenty to do on ship trips, sextant, running around ship, fishing net, flotsam whilst sailing.. shooting sharks etc.. or dolphins.  We choose how we occupy our time, watching a movie etc is a choice too.  But not one i'd make.

What's stopping me playing, is essentially, because everyone else has already given up and yes, mostly because of the grind.  It's the same in elite and several other games, it's all grinding.. slow.. boring.. been there, got the t shirt, can't be bothered anymore.. it isn't the games.. we bought them because we wanted to play them.. it's us, we're the problem.

Just because you're depressed and miserable, doesn't mean, everyone else has to be as well.

Not sure if you think you know me IRL or something or if you like to lose credibility with the vague assumptions you make. I'm boring, miserable, and depressed because I voiced my opinion on one part of a game that I Continually play daily, and would like to see succeed in the long run... How is it  that you've come to this assessment?

Regardless this is a game forum,  not a dictatorship with you telling people thier OPINIONS are wrong. Why should anybody care about your half thought, whiny tirades anyways... 

5 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

So you say it sounds like you are boring,but its not meant as an insult! then you go on to call the person depressed and miserable,was that not meant as an insult too?you need to chill out and live and let live,someone finds sailing boring,someone else doesnt,thats life, there is no need to get personal over it ,it's an opinion and this is a forum.

Thanks, didn't make much sense to me either, thought I might have been going crazy. Seems like he let's his emotions do the typing and not so much his mind. 

On 6/4/2019 at 12:50 AM, Dragonchampion said:

So, a lot of people know of the reddit post that was posted a while back, giving ideas to make sailing more interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/bvbdn8/make_sailing_more_intresting_suggestion/

Well, it seems Jat has replied, and revealed that not only are they discussing the idea in-house, but they are also interested in it! We might see some changes for sailing come down the pipeline soon(tm)!

I can't wait to see what they come up with!

I for one DONT want more interesting Sailing...

We already have ships of the damned hugging server lines!

Whales that one shot ships!

Land not marked on the map!

Storms...

Mermaids

Sailing isn't suppose to be this dangerous!  And I for one do not welcome waisted Development time on features to make sailing worse yet!!!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trqfreak350 said:

Not sure if you think you know me IRL or something or if you like to lose credibility with the vague assumptions you make. I'm boring, miserable, and depressed because I voiced my opinion on one part of a game that I Continually play daily, and would like to see succeed in the long run... How is it  that you've come to this assessment?

Regardless this is a game forum,  not a dictatorship with you telling people thier OPINIONS are wrong. Why should anybody care about your half thought, whiny tirades anyways...

I could have said, exactly the same thing, word for word.. about you.

But I didn't.  I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, as much as pointing out, that other's have different opinions on your viewpoint.  If anyone is dictating, it is you.  Not I.   I do not offer you innuendos, threats, abuse, insults.  But You do.