Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

Dev Team is aware Sailing is boring, and are discussing methods to make it more interesting!

13 minutes ago, Martyn said:

It's just your opinion.. that you find sailing boring.  I find it relaxing.  I enjoy, sailing exactly as it is.

Um, that is exactly what I was saying. When someone says something is boring it can only be taken as an opinion.

"Definition of boring:
Causing weariness and restlessness through lack of interest; causing boredom"

This can only be used as an opinion. Not sure how you thought I meant me being bored of sailing within ATLAS as anything other than my opinion? Its cool man, you can enjoy sailing that's your thing. It would make perfect sense that you have chosen to play ATLAS.

Edited by vaylain

The problem is, if people complain that something is something else.. the devs might change it.  Making it into something that neither either side likes.. and who will they blame?

If I paint a room.. I don't hang around waiting for the paint to dry.. I do something else.

If I'm driving I put the radio on or a cd..

I put the kettle on, then leave the room and do something else.. or I make a sandwich etc..

If something is boring.. do something about it.  Just don't mess it up for everyone else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Martyn said:

The problem is, if people complain that something is something else.. the devs might change it.  Making it into something that neither either side likes.. and who will they blame?

If I paint a room.. I don't hang around waiting for the paint to dry.. I do something else.

If I'm driving I put the radio on or a cd..

I put the kettle on, then leave the room and do something else.. or I make a sandwich etc..

If something is boring.. do something about it.  Just don't mess it up for everyone else.

The point of the forum is for anyone to voice their opinion and suggestions about the game and its current direction in an effort to have those aspects corrected as they might find agreeable. The DEVs will weigh the benefits against the detriments and decide which suggestions make more sense to the viability and future of the game.

I fully appreciate that you like the sailing aspect as it is currently but you need to understand that I do not. In the PVP mode I play on, sailing is rather tedious, time consuming, risky, and prone to griefing.

If something is boring.. do something about it

This is exactly what I am doing. It is boring to me so I am doing something about it. It really isn't for either of us to decide in the end, we can only voice our opinions.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

@Jatheish

First of all, the act of actually sailing is great. Sea of Thieves had amazing sailing mechanics, and I feel you nailed most of them. The problem they had was not enough sea, islands everywhere. The vastness of Atlas is a defining characteristic, compromised only by the god awful fast travel system currently in place (beds).

As far as fixing that to make it better, please consider the following;

1. Waves don't seem to have much/any affect on the boat when its in motion. This could be made more dramatic, at least for smaller boats, or frankly left alone for the time being. This is super minor.

2. Increase sight range. What is your biggest sailing issue, its SoTD popping up, its structures popping up, its circling around enemies that you know are somewhere right there and not being able to see them until almost cannon range. This is a terrible problem to have. The sea is flat, we should be able to see a ship coming a long way off. We should be able to see some sign that there is a gigantic wall in front of us before we are into it. This is a big deal for anyone who has lost a vessel to something that just magically popped up out of nowhere.

3. Increase backup speed. Parking sucks, and can take several minutes. The best fix is to simply increase reverse speed 3-5x its current value. QoL.

4. The ability to plot a course. I try my best to not advocate adding assets that don't already exist. Perhaps though we could steal a map table from Sea of Thieves, or just use your in game Atlas (num8). Put NPCs on the sails and helm, and put a point on the map that the NPCs will sail to. I would even concede to SoTD being non aggro while auto sail is engaged. I feel this would be far more preferable than increasing the use of fast travel.

Now, the better solutions to making sailing better will be found outside of actually sailing.

1. This is your biggest one. Ships, we have 4, and only 3 are even viable options. We have umpteen+ different choices of tames, that are a requirement or you end up like @vaylain thinking it takes more than an hour to make a schooner. However only (3) viable ship choices. On top of that, there is no benefit to the smaller ships outside of taking less resources to make. We need more ships, we need more ship balance.In the theme of that, there would be nothing wrong with making different classes of ships withing their size modules. 

2. Durability of ships. Another major problem you have with unhappy sailors is how utterly flimsy the boats are. While anchored, the boat itself should be 100% disabled from taking damage or doing damage (perhaps with the exception of war declarations). Some people have lobbied for ships in a bottle, an over the top solution. What do I really really want when I login? My boat, right where I left it. Why am I dissuaded from sailing to everywhere during the week? Because I have to find a safe harbor to park in or my boat WILL be destroyed, because it CAN be destroyed. This greatly discourages people form making long trips, or taking the boat out for much of anything at all unless they have to. This takes nothing away from the game, and adds soo much to it.

On top of all that, when I do enter a melee on the seas, why should a common boat be planked in 1 volley? The damage differential is lopsided atm. An important thing to consider when using numbers and % scaling in games, keep them small. Or else you end up with exploits and horrid balance issues (guillotine anyone?). 

3. The economy, err, the lack therefor of. So long as there exist no form of usable auction house, there will not be an economy. People say just going to islands gets boring. Indeed, we need a reason for traffic aside from our immediate needs. I should be able to make good boats, and put them up for sail. Along with everything else I can craft. The free ports should be more than Slaves-R-Us. They should be a booming economic hub.

Damn.. I went longer than I intended. 

-CS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Put NPCs on the sails and helm, and put a point on the map that the NPCs will sail to. I would even concede to SoTD being non aggro while auto sail is engaged. I feel this would be far more preferable than increasing the use of fast travel.

This will not help for PVP servers and I do appreciate the beds as fast travel since I appreciated them back in ARK. They are extremely handy and for a solo company, they are an essential aspect. I love ATLAS for being derived from ARK and having so many things in common with ARK and I wish the two would have been combined together...

For everything else that you posted, I totally agree. I have been saying as much, since the beginning of the game. My biggest complaint about this game is "OFFLINE" griefing. When I log out, my stuff should be safe as I am not online to protect it, there is not PVP value in offline griefing, and all NPC defensive measures are prone to become vulnerable. AI cannot begin to compete with human ambition, persistence, and ingenuity.

Edited by vaylain

10 minutes ago, vaylain said:

This will not help for PVP servers and I do appreciate the beds as fast travel since I appreciated them back in ARK. They are extremely handy and for a solo company, they are an essential aspect. I love ATLAS for being derived from ARK and having so many things in common with ARK and I wish the two would have been combined together..

It could. As long as it not too obvious that the ship is steered by a npc. When travelin I see often other ships and just drive straight to my lane. Atm I never get attacked and chased by a ship when meeting them on the open ocean.

So putting up a npc on the steering wheel, give them some points on the map and let them drive for some extra gold. Important, sotd shouldnt aggro on ships without a player on it(This should be ALWAYS on, not only while driven by a npc).

Other idea: Add some kind of highways. Read it on reddit, like the golf stream or high wind passages. They could be dynamicly and spawn/despawn or hard coded at specific places. On that highways you always drive as fast as with max wind and that speed x2 or x3. You could do it like they only blow in one direction or in both. If they only blow in one direction you should add some more. To prevent abusing it should have a cooldown after your ship get damaged.

Next step would be an autopilot while driving on a highway. Maybe lock it behind a skill. If you enter a highway you dont get automatically speed up. You have to line up, press that skill, now you are like snapped to that highway, driving straight in line and dont have to readjust your course to left/right. If you activate that skill again you get slowed down and snapped out of the highway and you can sail where ever you want.

you could add some kind of "unvulnerable" while in a highway. Ships that driving next to you cant shoot you, you dont get damage or else when someone damage you while in a highway you get snapped of and have a cooldown.

7 minutes ago, Introser said:

It could. As long as it not too obvious that the ship is steered by a npc. When travelin I see often other ships and just drive straight to my lane. Atm I never get attacked and chased by a ship when meeting them on the open ocean.

So putting up a npc on the steering wheel, give them some points on the map and let them drive for some extra gold. Important, sotd shouldnt aggro on ships without a player on it(This should be ALWAYS on, not only while driven by a npc).

Other idea: Add some kind of highways. Read it on reddit, like the golf stream or high wind passages. They could be dynamicly and spawn/despawn or hard coded at specific places. On that highways you always drive as fast as with max wind and that speed x2 or x3. You could do it like they only blow in one direction or in both. If they only blow in one direction you should add some more. To prevent abusing it should have a cooldown after your ship get damaged.

Next step would be an autopilot while driving on a highway. Maybe lock it behind a skill. If you enter a highway you dont get automatically speed up. You have to line up, press that skill, now you are like snapped to that highway, driving straight in line and dont have to readjust your course to left/right. If you activate that skill again you get slowed down and snapped out of the highway and you can sail where ever you want.

you could add some kind of "unvulnerable" while in a highway. Ships that driving next to you cant shoot you, you dont get damage or else when someone damage you while in a highway you get snapped of and have a cooldown.

If this is the case, we might as well just "instantly" travel with our boats. So, the easiest and cheapest method for this would be to have our ships load into our inventory and allow us to fast travel through our beds and retain all of the items we are carrying and then we'd effectively have fast traveled to another island where we are free to redistribute our boat back into the sea. I am good with that.😃

Edited by vaylain

Dont give them ideas or we might end up with random keystroke minigames to keep the sails up. Want to anker? Random minigame..

• Like 1

They could have grids with floating teleports like giant gateways or markers like buoys in the ocean for fast travel.Also the ship of the damned aggro meter could be set to ignore low threats,I mean I got sunk on a raft once which is just silly tbh.The rumour was though that we might be getting airships eventually,not everyones cup of tea I know but I am looking forward to it personally.and maybe it'll mean faster travel.

43 minutes ago, vaylain said:

This will not help for PVP servers and I do appreciate the beds as fast travel since I appreciated them back in ARK. They are extremely handy and for a solo company, they are an essential aspect. I love ATLAS for being derived from ARK and having so many things in common with ARK and I wish the two would have been combined together...

For everything else that you posted, I totally agree. I have been saying as much, since the beginning of the game. My biggest complaint about this game is "OFFLINE" griefing. When I log out, my stuff should be safe as I am not online to protect it, there is not PVP value in offline griefing, and all NPC defensive measures are prone to become vulnerable. AI cannot begin to compete with human ambition, persistence, and ingenuity.

I agree, the beds are handy for a small company. However they are a complete exploit for bigger companies. 

My actual solution to this is very simple. You only get up to say, 3 beds (the actual number can be debated), and you can only use your bed. Everyones happy and the exploit ability has been fixed.

Sadly we disagree on the Ark aspect. I believe the closer they stay to Ark the worse this game is. 

1 minute ago, Whitehawk said:

They could have grids with floating teleports like giant gateways or markers like buoys in the ocean for fast travel.

This is how EVE online handles travel. Instead of buoys, they are wormhole transport generators.

The rumour was though that we might be getting airships eventually,not everyones cup of tea I know but I am looking forward to it personally.and maybe it'll mean faster travel.

The last thing I want to worry about is players with birds-eye view of the map. The flying dinosuars ruined ARK for me and I feel it would devistate ATLAS. The dragons dont count as they cannot travel accross grids.

Atlas sailing is  good as it is and i love it no need anything to change here

Why u guys playing ship games if u hate sailing ? That game is not for you then...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vaylain said:

I fully appreciate that you like the sailing aspect as it is currently but you need to understand that I do not. In the PVP mode I play on, sailing is rather tedious, time consuming, risky, and prone to griefing.

well now you've confused me.. first you say it's boring.. then you say it's risky and prone to griefing.. which sounds interesting to me.

I also just saw named sotd's.. there's interesting sailing if you want it.

As for offline griefing. Actually, it's one of the reasons I don't play persistant world pvp.  But, I actually think it should be allowed.  Because it's fair, you can grief people offline, so can anyone else.  What the devs need to do is introduce active defences, that protect your base or at least do serious damage to anyone attacking you.. oh wait they have already added that. Never mind.. there is no such thing as "offline griefing" in ark or atlas.. you have crewmen who can use cannons etc.. well employ some.  Or play pve.  In ark you have auto guns that fire at enemies as well as plants.. if you're still getting griefed in pvp.. you aren't doing it right.

It actually sounds to me, like every other pvp thread.. which is what this is, you just generalised abit and didn't mention pvp side until 4th thread, but the problem is, most pvpers want their version of the game.. you know, where they only win.  Noone else is allowed to have fun in pvp, only the ones who want to change the game into their favour.  Well, I hope they don't change the game too much to make it safer for you.  Pvp is supposed to be pvp.  Any means possible.  Don't like it, play pve.

Edited by Martyn

9 hours ago, vaylain said:

Screw that, sailing is boring as hell and a major waste of time. There is nothing on the majority of those islands that makes it worth the risk, effort, or time. We only sail about for "discovery" points merely because we have been FORCED to by the game system but it remains a lifeless and pointless chore.

What they need to do is actually stop being so lazy and apply effort to flesh out each and every island. Make them all unique and have different monsters to battle and diverse loot to acquire.

I mean that is literally what I said, so I'm not sure why you're so defensive.

5 hours ago, vaylain said:

If only there were PVP games out there that weren’t sailing centric that you could play instead....

4 hours ago, vaylain said:

If this is the case, we might as well just "instantly" travel with our boats. So, the easiest and cheapest method for this would be to have our ships load into our inventory and allow us to fast travel through our beds and retain all of the items we are carrying and then we'd effectively have fast traveled to another island where we are free to redistribute our boat back into the sea. I am good with that.😃

So since you find the sailing part of a fantasy pirate themed game boring, your suggestion is essentially to eliminate the sailing part of the pirate game so you can more quickly get back to the non sailing parts of the pirate game because you clearly should never have expected to spend a lot of time in your pirate game sailing....

Do you see how your expectations and desires do not sound reasonable to those who do not share your let us say interesting take on what a pirate themed game should be?

• Thanks 1

lol .ship has GPS using the sextante right ? so could have a custom radio like GTA 😊

Edited by Rising

11 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

So since you find the sailing part of a fantasy pirate themed game boring, your suggestion is essentially to eliminate the sailing part of the pirate game so you can more quickly get back to the non sailing parts of the pirate game because you clearly should never have expected to spend a lot of time in your pirate game sailing....

Do you see how your expectations and desires do not sound reasonable to those who do not share your let us say interesting take on what a pirate themed game should be?

Exactly my feelings on this.

I sail from various islands daily to collect and harvest materials to build better ships.  I scrap old ships, sinking them next to my base, then using the diving platform, salvage them and turn them into basic planks, which I then either sell on my shop or put into storages for emergency planks in times of that sinking feeling.

I think the sailing period in the game is excellent, I like the spray, the sounds, the look, it reminds me of sailing in my youth, the only thing missing is the smell of the salt air.. but there seems to be plenty of salt air in this forum.

People are essentially complaining about grinding, but life is all about grinding, crafting is grinding, harvesting is grinding.  Pvp is grinding pve is grinding.. all games are grinding work to get an advantage or the exp to raise in levels.

What you're all actually saying is you want a "i win now" button and the rights to pose around in your mythical ships, wearing your mythical armour and weapons, pawning noobs on the beach.  And I get that.. but to get to that point.. you need to grind and grinding can be boring.

So put on some youtube or other app, play music, rock along to tunes, and get with the grind.  It is an inherant part of core gameplay.

Add whirpools to the 4 quadrants, right in the middle, that lead to the other quadrants, so you can just sail to the pool and pop out at the other quadrant. Would save you 50% to sailing at maximum distance.

9 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Add whirpools to the 4 quadrants, right in the middle, that lead to the other quadrants, so you can just sail to the pool and pop out at the other quadrant. Would save you 50% to sailing at maximum distance.

Magic whirlpools? Hmmm... yep I actually like that idea. Good job 👍

I grind levels a lot,usually by pickaxing rocks for metal,the difference is I dont run the risk of losing my unarmed ship and all the cargo because of lag and freeze when I'm on land,and I'm not affected on land if the wind changes direction,like I said before I personally dont find sailing boring but it does take too long,but other people have paid for the game the same as everyone else and have a right to voice their opinion,the devs will do whatever they choose regardless of opinion sometimes.The maps huge and unless you are in a reasonably large company travelling from one end of the map to another isn't a feasable option,also someone has to maintain main base and Island while you are gone.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, Whitehawk said:

I don't think it needs to be less boring personally,just a lot quicker,some kind of fast travel system would be preferable especially keeping in mind the size of the map.I know we have beds but I like to keep my items with me.failing that just faster sailing would do, it just takes too long at the moment and when I get lag I run the risk of losing everything if I run into sotd. especially when the game freezes up,but not more mini games please,loading a pistol while im  fighting is impossible enough,dont wanna be fighting the sotd and constantly doing something else just to move anywhere.

fast travel u be wanting teleporters next lol sailing is half the game

22 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

I grind levels a lot,usually by pickaxing rocks for metal,the difference is I dont run the risk of losing my unarmed ship and all the cargo because of lag and freeze when I'm on land,and I'm not affected on land if the wind changes direction,like I said before I personally dont find sailing boring but it does take too long,but other people have paid for the game the same as everyone else and have a right to voice their opinion,the devs will do whatever they choose regardless of opinion sometimes.The maps huge and unless you are in a reasonably large company travelling from one end of the map to another isn't a feasable option,also someone has to maintain main base and Island while you are gone.

get some bps make faster sails

19 hours ago, Martyn said:

But, I actually think it should be allowed.  Because it's fair, you can grief people offline, so can anyone else.

Just because you can do something in a game does not mean that it is intended or desired by the DEVs and has no room for that kind of distasteful behavior from being prevented.

What the devs need to do is introduce active defences, that protect your base or at least do serious damage to anyone attacking you.. oh wait they have already added that. Never mind.. there is no such thing as "offline griefing" in ark or atlas.

Holy crap. How many times must I squelch this kind of feeble argument? There are no AI defensive mechanisms within ATLAS that can effectively compete with human ambition, persistence, and ingenuity.

My cover is blown, the gig is up...I was actually holding out for ARK 2.0 but settled on a poorly implemented pirate game instead...

Edited by vaylain

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Magic whirlpools? Hmmm... yep I actually like that idea. Good job 👍

Oh heck no lol.  Can you say pvp dream come true?

also go see how well that worked on Eve Online.

almost every gate is camped by crowders 24/7