Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

Dev Team is aware Sailing is boring, and are discussing methods to make it more interesting!

1 minute ago, vaylain said:

In many movies and books, practitioners in magic often have only a limited tolerance before succumbing to exhaustion from the mental exertion. I would love the Tarot to finally be implemented and these would make some pretty interesting aspects to include.

Yeah,  along the magic winds - things like even ship in the bottle mechanic, wards from different elements.. may it be storms, fire etc. for X amount of time or even mask yourself for that X time and be ignored by SOTD (unless you attack them then the illusion goes away). This I feel would improve sailing quality. Casting magic could also consume mythos maybe? And the more often you cast it the more it costs to consume, unless you let it to cooldown to prevent people from spamming the abilities with no care.

• Like 1

Guys, this is a pirate theme game, if you dont like sail go ark or minecraft.

NPC factions would be great! If you make 2 or 3 different armies that can be attacked and you can get a reputation it would be more fun to navigate. If you help them, they may help you if they see you in troubles; if you attack them, they will come looking for you when you navigate in their area of influence and they will attack you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

Yeah,  along the magic winds - things like even ship in the bottle mechanic, wards from different elements.. may it be storms, fire etc. for X amount of time or even mask yourself for that X time and be ignored by SOTD (unless you attack them then the illusion goes away). This I feel would improve sailing quality. Casting magic could also consume mythos maybe? And the more often you cast it the more it costs to consume, unless you let it to cooldown to prevent people from spamming the abilities with no care.

Making me already eager to play ATLAS with a Tarot System already! 😃

5 minutes ago, yneternum said:

Guys, this is a pirate theme game, if you dont like sail go ark or minecraft.

Actually, it was advertised as a Pirate, Fantasy MMO. It was intended to have both, PVP, and PVE associated content. This would include naval battles, base sieges, sailing, land masses to explore, questing, building and taming system, mythical creatures, underwater diving, and eventually a magical system.

NPC factions would be great! If you make 2 or 3 different armies that can be attacked and you can get a reputation it would be more fun to navigate. If you help them, they may help you if they see you in troubles; if you attack them, they will come looking for you when you navigate in their area of influence and they will attack you.

I would certainly love to see NPCs such as pirates, tribal inhabitants, and monsters that may band together and attack your ships and land structures. As it is, the SOTD have very little AI and merely troll back and forth on the ocean and there is not really a point to them as they are currently implemented. Why are their ships ghostly but once they are sunk, their crew becomes living humans once more? Weird and silly...

Edited by vaylain

I don't think adding more enemies are the answer,especially as I sail an unarmed sloop or schooner a lot of the time just to get essential salt or metals and glass etc,It's a nightmare when you cross a grid and get freezes only to find yourself facing the sotd,bad enough they can still manouvre in no wind when I cant but add to that lag and freezes and I am ready to throw in the towel!Teleport points in the ocean could work,but failing  that giving every island the essentials for everything they craft, to cut the amount of sailing time would work too,however the Idea I believe is to get more people to sail,so it will need sorting out one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

they can still manouvre in no wind when I cant

Yes, they should have the very same restrictions we sailors have. I agree with you there...

18 minutes ago, vaylain said:

Yes, they should have the very same restrictions we sailors have. I agree with you there...

LOL then everyone would just sit and wait for low wind conditions and attack.

how about redesigning the sod so they look more realistic and actually have sails that we can shoot holes into and slow them down!

6 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Please be aware not eveyone thinks sailing is to slow or boring.

If I want to go someplace fast I can take my lightweight schooner.

If I want to transport a huge quantity of goods I know it'll take time.

I find sailing relaxing, interspersed with a few "oh! shit" moments, time to sit up and pay attention.

Also at the moment speed sail bonuses don't work, so when thats fixed we will all be a little bit faster.

more ship types however would be welcome,

Streamlined versions of each with less weight but more speed.

cargo versions of each with less speed but cargo containers don't slow it down.

The options open for design are myriad, I've been a little dissapointed with ship choice so far, a sailing game where since the start you've added new weapons, islands, tames, skills, building pieces & content yet not one new ship!

Definitely need a speed boat

1 minute ago, Captain Stabbin said:

LOL then everyone would just sit and wait for low wind conditions and attack.

how about redesigning the sod so they look more realistic and actually have sails that we can shoot holes into and slow them down!

Yes, it makes no sense for them to look so magical ghostly and then once they are destroyed, their crew is just normal human NPCs. 

2 minutes ago, vaylain said:

Yes, it makes no sense for them to look so magical ghostly and then once they are destroyed, their crew is just normal human NPCs. 

Agreed!  I think the NPCs that are dropped were slaves on the ship.

Please be aware not eveyone thinks sailing is to slow or boring.

If I want to go someplace fast I can take my lightweight schooner.

If I want to transport a huge quantity of goods I know it'll take time.

I find sailing relaxing, interspersed with a few "oh! shit" moments, time to sit up and pay attention.

Also at the moment speed sail bonuses don't work, so when thats fixed we will all be a little bit faster.

more ship types however would be welcome,

Streamlined versions of each with less weight but more speed.

cargo versions of each with less speed but cargo containers don't slow it down.

The options open for design are myriad, I've been a little dissapointed with ship choice so far, a sailing game where since the start you've added new weapons, islands, tames, skills, building pieces & content yet not one new ship!

I have already written a post about this very thing. There should be a ship-build that supports maneuverability and superior speeds for avoiding combative encounters and safely traverse the seas. As a necessary sacrifice, they cannot carry much weight or any offensive structures.

Edited by vaylain

Just now, vaylain said:

I have already written a post about this very thing. There should be a ship-build that supports maneuverability and superior speed to avoid combative encounters to safely traverse the seas and as a necessary sacrifice, they cannot carry much weight or any offensive structures.

Ever try a 1 deck schooner with just 2 crew?  22knots is crazy fast.  Also in low wind it still goes fast!

3 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Ever try a 1 deck schooner with just 2 crew?  22knots is crazy fast.  Also in low wind it still goes fast!

Nope, as a solo player. I have yet to sail a schooner as it always takes all my playing time for the night to build one and then they are sunk by OFFLINE griefers overnight. I have complained about this profusely to the DEVS.

My last one was stolen from me, and I had it in a stone gated shipyard too!

Edited by vaylain

26 minutes ago, vaylain said:

Nope, as a solo player. I have yet to sail a schooner as it always takes all my playing time for the night to build one and then they are sunk by OFFLINE griefers overnight. I have complained about this profusely to the DEVS.

My last one was stolen from me, and I had it in a stone gated shipyard too!

Well that sucks.  Try just going into a PVE server and building one just to test it!  You will love how fast it goes!

16 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Well that sucks.  Try just going into a PVE server and building one just to test it!  You will love how fast it goes!

Honestly, I seldom sail as It is really boring to me as I cannot even go AFK because of the constant micromanaging to avoid storms and SOTD. Sailing is the WORST part of this game to me. I was sold on ATLAS as it was advertised originally, to be a fantasy MMO with spells and mythical creatures and had all of the ARK associated mechanics that I already have come to love such as taming and building.

I just prefer to build bases, explore, and tame on very large Lawless Continents but it is beginning to becomes a bit boring too so I am looking very forward to the new lands that they have just added.

Edited by vaylain

6 minutes ago, vaylain said:

Honestly, I seldom sail as It is really boring to me as I cannot even go AFK because of the constant micromanaging to avoid storms and SOTD. Sailing is the WORST part about this game to me. I was sold on it as it was advertised originally to be a fantasy MMO with spells and mythical creatures and had all of the ARK associated mechanics that I already have come to love such as taming and building.

I just prefer to build bases, explore, and tame on very large Lawless Continents. I am looking very forward to the new lands they have added as they say that they are very large ones.

I wasn’t big on sailing either but once I got into one of these lightweight schooners sailing actually becomes quite fun and micro management is not a problem really as you will speed past sod so fast their guns cannot track you!  Just a suggestion mate!

1 minute ago, Captain Stabbin said:

I wasn’t big on sailing either but once I got into one of these lightweight schooners sailing actually becomes quite fun and micro management is not a problem really as you will speed past sod so fast their guns cannot track you!  Just a suggestion mate!

Yes, but how are you keeping your schooner from being destroyed nightly by Offline Griefers? Also, your easy, breezy sailing might now be impeded by the ship-equipped ballista tractor beam...

46 minutes ago, vaylain said:

Yes, but how are you keeping your schooner from being destroyed nightly by Offline Griefers? Also, your easy, breezy sailing might now be impeded by the ship-equipped ballista tractor beam...

Oh I don’t play pvp atlas due to the plethora of grief mechanics available.

I was just saying that schooner setup is super fast is all.

3 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Oh I don’t play pvp atlas due to the plethora of grief mechanics available.

I was just saying that schooner setup is super fast is all.

Oh, I see. Yes, I was afraid of playing PVE as I thought that there was not enough PVE content and did not want to be excluded from the PVP side of things. 

Sailing is boring eh.. Well that's on you.. not the game.

It is certainly true that not everyone can be pleased, but that's because most people don't like being pleased.  They were born to complain.

Incidentally:  Here's a list of things that are actually boring.

Watching paint dry.

Waiting for a kettle to boil.

Peeling fruit.

Sleeping.

Walking, Running.

Driving a car/motorcycle.

Digging your garden.

Cooking food.

Drinking by yourself.

Washing windows.

Well.. actually.. pretty much everything.  Is boring. 

You find yourself skirting the main map, hugging the edges of the regions to stay away from sotd etc that's a choice you made.  Didin't stop to get some flotsam or dive for a wreck.. that's a choice you made.  Put too much weight on your ship.. your fault.

Not sailing.. yours.  You're boring.  Sailing is fun.

The even added a net, so you can catch fish.. just by sitting down.  The ultimate couch experience.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Sailing is boring eh.. Well that's on you.. not the game.

This is incorrect as a fact but true as your opinion. But, please, troll on...

Edited by vaylain

6 minutes ago, vaylain said:

This is incorrect as a fact but true as your opinion. But, please, troll on...

No, this is exactly, the FACT.  You can't find stuff entertaining, now you're blaiming everyone else. Those are the facts.  But hell, call me names.  You probably think that makes your life interesting.

What "you're" actually trying to say.  IS you think your opinions are more important than anyone elses.  And that only what you say, is fact.  Everyone has an opinion.  Matter of fact.  Facts are opinions.  And they change as swiftly.

By the way.. did you know water is wet?  Is that my opinion.. or a fact?

Edited by Martyn
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Martyn said:

No, this is exactly, the FACT.  You can't find stuff entertaining, now you're blaiming everyone else. Those are the facts.  But hell, call me names.  You probably think that makes your life interesting.

You sound like my wife. I never called you a name, I used troll as a verb...

It is, in fact, incorrect as a statement for how I feel as you have no clue but it is true that it seems to be your opinion. I happen to love many aspects offered by ATLAS, this is why I am still playing it. I love building structures, fighting with my shield, climbing with my grappling hook, exploring the islands and different biomes. I love building ships, taming animals, breeding animals, and fighting the NPCs. I even love it when I get to have a one-on-one PVP encounter but that does not mean that I need to also enjoy the "offline" griefing and sailing as it is currently in the game. This has nothing to do with the fact that I may enjoy sailing if a few aspects about it currently were to be agreeably modified. So, your argument is flawed.

Edited by vaylain

2 minutes ago, vaylain said:

It is, in fact, incorrect as a statement for how I feel as you have no clue but it is true that it seems to be your opinion. I happen to love many aspects offered by ATLAS, this is why I am still playing it. I love building structures, fighting with my shield, climbing with my grappling hook, exploring the islands and different biomes. I love building ships, taming animals, breeding animals, and fighting the NPCs. I even love it when I get to have a one-on-one PVP encounter but that does not mean that I need to also enjoy the "offline" griefing and sailing as it is currently in the game. This has nothing to do with the fact that I may enjoy sailing if a few aspects about it currently were to be agreeably modified. So, your argument is flawed.

It's just your opinion.. that you find sailing boring.  I find it relaxing.  I enjoy, sailing exactly as it is.

• Like 1

I believe the devs of this game are quite capable of accepting constructive criticism,and as such probably don't need a knight in shining armour to defend them,however gallant your intentions might be.Everyone is entitled to mention things they would like to see changed or improved especially as this is a forum for that reason.I myself don't find sailing in atlas boring but it can take far too long as I don't always have the time to play for hours on end,and the lag on the sea and between grids can be quite horrendous,and make a salt errand like a full time job,it takes many real people to play an mmo and make it interesting to play so maybe its time people accepted that,and accepted their right to a different opinion too.