Sign in to follow this  
Gamling

Grapeshot killed the game for soloplayers

So the new patch brought big changes to the skilltree and made the game practically impossible for solo/small groups to play. This is a huge mistake by Grapeshot as there is probably alot of small groups out there with players that dont have any interest in teaming up with people they dont know. So what am i supposed to do now? Count how many pixels my half built stonehouse is made of? ffs Grapeshot you really know how to piss people off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a skilltree that includes structures and items the whole thing should be split into engrampoints for structures and items and a skilltree for spells/abilitys.

Another solution would be to offer refund to those who no longer can play the game due to a shitty and punishing skilltree.

• Like 2

I’m going to try and get a refund from steam since it’s essentially unplayable as a two man group now.  Slim chance I get it but worst case I at least know not to buy it on console now.  

Hey, im not gonna troll you or anything, im just gonna point out that this game is an MMO.

Nothing else needs to be said

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm playing duo with my friend and we noticed the same thing that some of the skills requires way too many skillpoints right now. But we found many blueprints when we sailed in the sea looking for flotsams until all the ghost ships rekt us in 5 minutes. So I guess you can try to look for all the blueprints needed and try to save some skillpoints from that. BUT some of the needed skills needs the blueprint skills anyway so prolly you can't save much skillpoints finding blueprints. I'm not playing until they fix the ghost ship and predator spawns.. That is the main issue right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rickyh24 said:

I’m going to try and get a refund from steam since it’s essentially unplayable as a two man group now.  Slim chance I get it but worst case I at least know not to buy it on console now.  

Yeah its beyond me that crapshot games did something like this. I have played mmo's for 11-12 years and never have i seen anything this punishing for soloplayers. mindboggling to say the least.

1 minute ago, Ducki said:

I'm playing duo with my friend and we noticed the same thing that some of the skills requires way too many skillpoints right now. But we found many blueprints when we sailed in the sea looking for flotsams until all the ghost ships rekt us in 5 minutes. So I guess you can try to look for all the blueprints needed and try to save some skillpoints from that. BUT some of the needed skills needs the blueprint skills anyway so prolly you can't save much skillpoints finding blueprints. I'm not playing until they fix the ghost ship and predator spawns.. That is the main issue right now.

Thanks for the info, but as things looks like now i dont really enjoy the game so i wait and see if devs come to their senses or alternatively agrees to a refund.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DarkOne said:

Hey, im not gonna troll you or anything, im just gonna point out that this game is an MMO.

Thanks for pointing out that this is an mmo :). as i said in an earlier reply i have played mmo's for years but this really takes the price. Am i supposed to have choose between being able to defend myself against snakes, built a house, built a boat or tame a monkey? If this was Blizzard doing these kind of changes i would be standing in Orgrimmar right now and doing nothing.

Why are you making a new thread about a problem you already told us your thoughts about in other threads? 

Just now, Percieval said:

Why are you making a new thread about a problem you already told us your thoughts about in other threads? 

I did this thread before most of them, if not all of them. Having a thread about an issue does it make inappropiate to reply in other threads about the same topic? got something constructive to add to my post?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Why does it matter if he’s mentioned it in other places? It’s being discussed everywhere.  You would have been better off just not clicking on this thread.  

• Like 1

Gamling as a solo player I respectfully disagree,

What they did was slow down the progression of the game.  Everyone across the board is effected but as for making it impossible for a solo player thats simply not true!  I can build a sloop I can build stone walls I can make an metal weapon and wear fur to survive the harsh weather so no I don't think its impossible for a solo player at all....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarkOne said:

It's a mass multi player online game? I don't get it, are you saying you're not allowed to be solo or in a small group in an MMO? At what point did Mass multiplayer online games, mean that you HAD to be in a group? 

19 minutes ago, BumbleBumble said:

It's a mass multi player online game? I don't get it, are you saying you're not allowed to be solo or in a small group in an MMO? At what point did Mass multiplayer online games, mean that you HAD to be in a group? 

You don’t have to be in a group to play this game. But solo MMO’ing is extremely hard so I wish them all the best of luck! It does need trading at some point so that will be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

You don’t have to be in a group to play this game. But solo MMO’ing is extremely hard so I wish them all the best of luck! It does need trading at some point so that will be interesting. 

Could do with some piracy too in this pirate game. 

I was solo in Wow for years, that didnt punish me what so ever. What i couldnt do solo i did with others. i want to be able to tame, build and craft what i need. not hoping that someone on my island is willing to help out without skinning me for what little i have

1 minute ago, Gamling said:

I was solo in Wow for years, that didnt punish me what so ever. What i couldnt do solo i did with others. i want to be able to tame, build and craft what i need. not hoping that someone on my island is willing to help out without skinning me for what little i have

Nobody is stopping you from doing the same as what you did on WoW. 

Just now, Percieval said:

Nobody is stopping you from doing the same as what you did on WoW. 

in wow i could ride mount, both on land and in air, i had a ton of professions to choose from. i never had a feeling of being punished. now there is a fuckton of usefull "must have" things that i have to sacrifice. That is MY point of view. Yours are clearly another.

1 hour ago, Gamling said:

Yeah its beyond me that crapshot games did something like this. I have played mmo's for 11-12 years and never have i seen anything this punishing for soloplayers. mindboggling to say the least. 

Thats the issue with this game, people think of it like a traditional MMO because it has MMO slapped onto it, its not an MMO in that sense, its ARK, with a shit ton more players in one sever. Its massively multi player but I would never call this game an MMO

I very respectfully HIGHLY disagree with you. Every game I've played MMO wise i've always played solo. Always. The point's these guys/gals are making are very legit and concerning for the game. The fact that you so blatantly disagree and are so absolutely 1 sided is astounding. Playing solo is damn near impossible and i'll tell you why.

The ultimate truth is it's not impossible.

If you want to take about 10,000x longer than companies to get anywhere then by all means keep playing. (I'll still be playing even though the mechanics of it are broken at the moment)

If you want to keep building, trying to explore, get wiped, respawn, repeat, rinse, repeat then by all means keep playing.

If you want to hit open water's and get ganked by china and then watch chat spam explode with "China NO.1" by all means keep playing.

If you want to be playing in your server trying to craft and gather and step on your boat with all your metal tools on you and everything important to include maybe pistols ammo, metal ore and then have the game glitch out and the raft launch you to the top of the map to fall to your death in a freeport and lose everything, then by all means keep play.

There's so much to the game that is still broken, and for fucks sake yes it's EARLY ACCESS, we fucking know. It needs more patches, it needs more fixes, it needs more people to continue to bitch and complain. Why? Lol i'll tell you.

If a game is broken and none of the players say anything about it how does it get fixed? If a game is going to be successful then feedback is feedback and the dev's need to consider all of it regardless of it being positive or negative. Keep player base happy, keep selling your game. The potential for expansions and dlc and all this extra content is here and do you REALLY think wildcard would release a new game without having at least 3 expansions already being worked on? If they want continue support and continue to make money off everyone then they will consider all our bitching and moaning.

So. Again. Solo play. Pretty much impossible at the moment. Thanks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Are you just bad at videogames? Soloing traditional MMOs can be hard but, "extremely"? Maybe if you're trying to solo world bosses, again this game just has MMO slapped onto it, you should stop thinking of it as an MMO. This game is basically trying to be EVE online where you can have large corps or in this game, companies, control certain zones, which is fine, but the map isnt big enough for 40k people. Soloing or small groups was very much possible until the new stat rework they just added in Atlas.

I don't really have much issue with a solo player not being able to get all the skills required to actually do anything everything.  The game isn't intended to be played solo, and I get it.  I also get that it's EA and there will be tons of tuning going on, but I wanted to add my voice that this seems way too harsh of an overtune.  This will also severely cripple the smaller Companies.  Unless you're willing to shell out extra money for alt accounts, you can't spec to build things and still expect to gain offensive or survival skills.

I'm completely fine with some skills costing more than others and I think this makes sense.  There are a couple things I would argue on how that should be evaluated.

Smithy - 8% of your total points is an insane cost for this absolutely essential skill.

Skills that only unlock other trees, should only be 1 point.  You don't gain access to anything with these skills.  You only unlock the chance to spend more points in those trees.  These should all be single point investments.

IMO, you should be able to complete at least one path in two branches and maybe have a few points left over for random skills.  Each individual player should be able to fulfill two roles to make this playable for small Companies.  Ideally, only the ultimate skills in the trees should truly be "expensive" and they should also, therefore be very much worth it.

Edited by Caveat

1 minute ago, Caveat said:

I don't really have much issue with a solo player not being able to get all the skills required to actually do anything. 

Lol... like... i cant even... omfg... this guy... this guy right here everyone...