Sign in to follow this  
Tezcatlipoca

Tortugar spawnrate...

... is far too rare. I've wasted hours and found nothing.

It is your job to entertain me, not to annoy me or waste my time!

It's also a wan't not a "need" to play the game, it's one of those flair tames, and historically if something is rare it's worth putting time into, if you want one put in the time to find one, we put in some time the day the patch dropped and eventually found one, only to see it's utterly worthless. GL.

Ye devs deliver everything on a silver plate to me, im the special snoflake. 

7 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

... is far too rare. I've wasted hours and found nothing.

It is your job to entertain me, not to annoy me or waste my time!

Yeah you are right. A new aspect of the game should not be rare. That is something that is very stupid for EA games that have content that needs to be tested.

just remember, we are dealing with amateurs. I am sure they will make the spawns more frequent soon. I know they treat the game as a finished project but that is just to appease the true whiners in the game 😂

dont worry they will smarten up soon when the pop drops to 3k again. Even thought the white knights said that was only because they were wiping. Smh

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Yeah you are right. A new aspect of the game should not be rare. That is something that is very stupid for EA games that have content that needs to be tested.

just remember, we are dealing with amateurs. I am sure they will make the spawns more frequent soon. I know they treat the game as a finished project but that is just to appease the true whiners in the game 😂

dont worry they will smarten up soon when the pop drops to 3k again. Even thought the white knights said that was only because they were wiping. Smh

Funny thing is you can find these "amateur developers" posts on every game forums 😄 I wonder where are those professionals. Probably at Realist's basement 🙂

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Funny thing is you can find these "amateur developers" posts on every game forums 😄 I wonder where are those professionals. Probably at Realist's basement 🙂

Yeah this is the guy I was talking about when I said I would be here long after he left 😂

its all good Willy. I get a kick out of your posts. 

Disclaimer: I don’t play the games guys,  I reallyvneed to make that clear. I can’t help this game progress unless o say that.

having said that, these devs need to step up their game because it is below par for even ark.yoy have not been doing a good job. It is time for that now. 👍

Edited by Realist

Last week I spend 14h in 4 days to find a Squid. Squids are rare spawns too. 

So if u find a Tortuga, so u're a lucky guy.

Killing all the wildlife will help a lot for a faster respawn. But you are surely not the only one who are looking for them actually.

Perhaps one of you highly intelligent prodigies can explain to me the meaning of an artificially scarce game content. After about 10h and 4 islands, I gave up yesterday, because my free time is too valuable for me that I waste them so much without even somehow to get on in the matter. That's just stupid game design. If developers do not want players to consume their content, then they do not need to develop it. To make something artificially rare only pleases players who treat others to nothing.

What stats toput into? Oxy? Does he get attacked by sharks?

31 minutes ago, gnihar said:

What stats toput into? Oxy? Does he get attacked by sharks?

That Sticks wonderful to the topic... 

Most people are discussing the low stamina. They telled about Tortugas who died because of end of stamina under water, not end of oxy.

20 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

That Sticks wonderful to the topic... 

Most people are discussing the low stamina. They telled about Tortugas who died because of end of stamina under water, not end of oxy.

I am genius then. I put 75% into stamina and 25% into oxy  Didnt try it yet cos didn't find the time to do so. I got it 1 hour after patch, and though as it is relatively easy spawn and tame, but idk if I was lucky that time so don't wanna risk losing it.

And i will not use it till they fix stamina 😛

How does he far vs sharks and stuff that aggros you underwater?

Edited by gnihar

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Yeah this is the guy I was talking about when I said I would be here long after he left 😂

its all good Willy. I get a kick out of your posts. 

Disclaimer: I don’t play the games guys,  I reallyvneed to make that clear. I can’t help this game progress unless o say that.

having said that, these devs need to step up their game because it is below par for even ark.yoy have not been doing a good job. It is time for that now. 👍

Ofc you can help game progress, by valid feedback / good suggestions. Definitely not by calling developers amateurs 😉

11 hours ago, Realist said:

I normally find your posts informative and agreeable, but I read this one and winced, you clearly have no idea of how development cycles work. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. The mechanics for a new creature are already in place, and working. As such the mechanics don’t require urgent testing, and the stat tweaks are simple enough when the time comes. But the balance and frequency of the creatures availability over the long term and its gradual effect on the game isn’t something that can be tested on a spreadsheet, or in a few days like the mechanics and are far more important. In theory, for example, As the spawns are clearly Uber rare, they may adjust it up slightly and watch what happens over the next month. You’d be surprised how much of development testing on open worlds revolves around the bigger picture.

also, these devs are far from amateur. This statement in itself clearly shows you have little knowledge on these processes. You need to remember they’re probably bound by directorial NDA’s admittedly some of their development choices have been odd, but again, some of that could be intentional to test the extremes of something then dial it back/forward as appropriate.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

So far I’ve been able to find at least one tortugar a day, typically in about 45-60 minutes. I have yet to find a high level one, but that’s just luck of the draw.

My recommendation is to kill all the creatures in a few areas and make a circuit, so you loop back for respawns. On the island we’re in, that means killing lots of elephants, which means lots of marrow to tame the tortugars with.

I have not tried any other islands for them, but I think that’s not going to be as effective as doing a circuit. You won’t find them at sea. 😉

As for their usefulness, my expectations were that they’d be a poor man’s sub. They aren’t, really. Low and mid-level tortugars that’s I’ve found all have very low stamina. I’ve only seen 220-240 stamina on 6 different tortugars with levels from 4-26 tamed.

What I have found them very good for us taking large animals. You can take their health down (slowly, they don’t hit very hard), then open the shell and bola from safety.

These things are amazing tanks! They take less damage than other tames with saddles, and they have relatively high health. Our max health one was ~1150, and that was only a level 23 tamed (wild 16).

They also give you ~450 hypothermia resistance. Which would be really nice when deep diving, sure. But, it would also be really nice in tundra and especially polar areas.

I haven’t looked up anything in the ice cave yet, but I suspect that you’ll want at least one tortugar to take with you in there (if you can). Have four people in it, pop open the shell and just lob grenades, shoot bows or fire guns and clear everything out. At least that’s what a I envision. Reality could be far different.

1 hour ago, TerrorTrooper said:

I normally find your posts informative and agreeable, but I read this one and winced, you clearly have no idea of how development cycles work. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. The mechanics for a new creature are already in place, and working. As such the mechanics don’t require urgent testing, and the stat tweaks are simple enough when the time comes. But the balance and frequency of the creatures availability over the long term and its gradual effect on the game isn’t something that can be tested on a spreadsheet, or in a few days like the mechanics and are far more important. In theory, for example, As the spawns are clearly Uber rare, they may adjust it up slightly and watch what happens over the next month. You’d be surprised how much of development testing on open worlds revolves around the bigger picture.

also, these devs are far from amateur. This statement in itself clearly shows you have little knowledge on these processes. You need to remember they’re probably bound by directorial NDA’s admittedly some of their development choices have been odd, but again, some of that could be intentional to test the extremes of something then dial it back/forward as appropriate.

Yeah I was drinking last night lol it happens. Every once in awhile I go on a bender.

sorry I let you down though

7 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Perhaps one of you highly intelligent prodigies can explain to me the meaning of an artificially scarce game content. After about 10h and 4 islands, I gave up yesterday, because my free time is too valuable for me that I waste them so much without even somehow to get on in the matter. That's just stupid game design. If developers do not want players to consume their content, then they do not need to develop it. To make something artificially rare only pleases players who treat others to nothing.

Are you in a company or alliance?  Have you tried using discord to ask?  There are many tools available that will keep your endeavor short!  Try them!

8 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

If your time is too valuable to waste on trying to obtain rare things in games, I would respectfully suggest that not only is Atlas perhaps not the game for you, but the MMO genre is one you should avoid.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Yeah I was drinking last night lol it happens. Every once in awhile I go on a bender.

sorry I let you down though

*immediately offers 500 doubloons for blackmail worthy pics of Realist’s bender. Double that if animals or statues are involved.*

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

*immediately offers 500 doubloons for blackmail worthy pics of Realist’s bender. Double that if animals or statues are involved.*

Well I do like my tames after all 😂

OK... They are really rare. On a island we found yesterday two of them in around 4h.

After searching in two days and up to 6h on a new island, we went over to another new one. Not 3min after anchoring, we found the first one.

Now the as question is: does they really spawn on every new island (in the equatorial biomes) or just on a few of them? In the patchnotes was just written, that they live on the new islands there.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:39 PM, boomervoncannon said:

If your time is too valuable to waste on trying to obtain rare things in games, I would respectfully suggest that not only is Atlas perhaps not the game for you, but the MMO genre is one you should avoid.

There is no need to artificially make game content rare. It's time to get rid of the obsolete ideas of an MMO, which primarily sells time to players. There is no need to stop the player artificially, just for the player to be online. Good games keep players with interesting content playing, but not silly timeskins. It does not need another copy of a totally worn World of Warcraft. It's time to finally do things differently and give the players a sandbox where they can play and build together instead of having to fight or outdo each other.

Artificially making content rare is not just a part of MMOs, and has actually become a large part of several AAA games. The ones I’m most familiar with are first person shooters.

Loot crates are artificially making content rare, and the companies are actually charging you money to even have a chance at getting what you want. Some let you earn them in game as well, but from what I’ve heard about how long that takes, tortugars spawn a lot quicker than your “free” loot boxes.

If you want examples of artificial rarity out side of video games, then card based games like Magic, Pokémon or Yu-gi-oh are good examples. Most of the desirable cards are printed in lower quantities than more common cards as a way of boosting sales. Same with sports cards, and those are mostly just used as collectibles.

The biggest difference I see between tortugars and these other examples is that there is no way for you to pay to avoid having to play to get them (Grapeshot, please, PLEASE, do not take that to mean I think you should add that option. I am dead set against pay-to-win mechanics.)

Although, you could always buy them in game with gold. But, then you’d have to play to earn the gold. Probably longer than farming for the tortugar, but if sailing and treasure maps are more your thing, then there you go.

• Like 1