Sign in to follow this  
Saltydog920

Progression: Research to learn items rather than unlock?

A hybrid research system rather than an arbitrary unlock system I think would be beneficial for gameplay. This is an old concept, but I feel like it would fit nicely within Atlas. For knowledge based things like most "Captaineering" and "Beastmastery", an unlock system based off experience makes perfect sense. However, for craftable items like large cannons, sword varieties, certain armor sets, guns, guillotines, etc., I think a "find and research" system would make perfect sense. Having to explore in order to find items should be a huge focus in Atlas. As it, a person could theoretically stay on one island killing animals, bashing trees and swiping fiber in order to level up and unlock everything. Exploration should be encouraged.

In order to acquire these higher tier items (not starter items), it should be mandatory to explore different islands and complete different tasks. For example, if you choose to go after treasure and fight the Army of the Dead, there should be a chance that they could drop different weapons. Then, this acquired weapon would need to be brought to either an NPC for them to make a drawing/blueprint which can be learned, or implement a player built prototype desk where the players can build the desk and draw up plans themselves. The difficulty of the quest would be based on the potential item which could be found. This system would also help to bolster trading within the game.

Just an epic story arc would suffice.   Easy to implement, just have treasure chests chaining to other chests.  Something like a submarine arc, requiring materials, various trinkets dug from linked chests, and finally an NPC that hammers all the items together to give you the unlock...  for those that have completed it, perhaps it can fetch good gold on the 'black market'......    

5 hours ago, Vorxius said:

Just an epic story arc would suffice.   Easy to implement, just have treasure chests chaining to other chests.  Something like a submarine arc, requiring materials, various trinkets dug from linked chests, and finally an NPC that hammers all the items together to give you the unlock...  for those that have completed it, perhaps it can fetch good gold on the 'black market'......    

I could get down with that. It's far more substantive than simply earning xp from hitting things.

• Like 1