Talono

Crossbow nerf ?

Now i do 50 damage with the crossbow and 45 with the bow.

What us the point ? I need a smithy to craft and have more or less the same damage ?

• Like 1

Lower dps when rate of fire is taken into account. 

Hate to even ask but all other factors are the same right? quality, target etc?

The crossbow is easier to aim and has consistent range. At longer ranges, I suspect that the crossbow's DPS would be higher(no draw).

Edited by Kast

3 minutes ago, Kast said:

The crossbow is easier to aim and has consistent range. At longer ranges, I suspect that the crossbow's DPS would be higher(no draw).

Good point.

Grey vs Grey, same target, crossbow 50 damage (not 55 like in the patch notes), bow 45

These dev are the one who make Ark , which also have very questionable to downright stupid balancing idea .

Can they fire underwater ?

Edited by kampfer91

I can't hit anything with the crossbow, unless it's short range.

On the plus side, you can have crew equip them, but the durability and ammo go down super fast since they can only hit within short range too.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, Andargor said:

I can't hit anything with the crossbow, unless it's short range.

On the plus side, you can have crew equip them, but the durability and ammo go down super fast since they can only hit within short range too.

Ok this is really plus, 50 sailors on a galleon with crossbows = no boarding...or at least a very short boarding hehe.

13 hours ago, Talono said:

Ok this is really plus, 50 sailors on a galleon with crossbows = no boarding...or at least a very short boarding hehe.

When I looked in the dev kit, the NPC crews were also supposed to be able to equip "dual pistols", but I guess that was planned to be a special weapon for NPCs since you can't have them use pistols (yet). One can only hope...

On 6/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, kampfer91 said:

Can they fire underwater ?

Nope, but the harpoon gun does, but not out of water.. they could have just made xbows.. that fire in or out.. and not even bothered making the harpoon.  But they didn't.  I actually feel, in my humble opinion.. that the arbolaster what whatever the stupid word is.. has pretty awful dropoff range, you practically need to be toe to toe to hit anything.

Bow is much better overall.

But the xbow is cool with it's little dinky magazine.

Edited by Martyn

I agree it didn’t need the nerf. It’s just not useful enough over the bow now to justify the expense and lack of field repair ability.

its cool and all, but is now an inferior weapon sadly.

The worst issue here, isn't so much that it was nerfed, but by how much it was nerfed.  They need to stop doing these stupid 15-25 pt changes to weapons etc.  Instead, drop it by 2-3% see how it works out over time, up it by 1%.. drop it by 0.5%.. not 25% that's taking the piss.

Items are going from fairly useful to utterly useless every other patch.   It's getting to the point where:

Noone will make refined tools or weapons.

Or ships.

Because it just won't be worth it.

Noone will add hps to characters or use harvesting skill pts.. because a tame is all you need.

Noone will tame anything other than a Bear, Elly and Giraffe.. because face it, the rest of the animals are useless.  Except maybe the Cow and the Chicken. These are just mostly useless but produce something worth having.

Noone cooks or uses food.. except me..

And crew.

But they only need veg.

It's like buying a variety bag of candy.. but you only like the strawberry flavoured ones.

Edited by Martyn

19 hours ago, Martyn said:

The worst issue here, isn't so much that it was nerfed, but by how much it was nerfed.  They need to stop doing these stupid 15-25 pt changes to weapons etc.  Instead, drop it by 2-3% see how it works out over time, up it by 1%.. drop it by 0.5%.. not 25% that's taking the piss.

Items are going from fairly useful to utterly useless every other patch.   It's getting to the point where:

Noone will make refined tools or weapons.

Or ships.

Because it just won't be worth it.

Noone will add hps to characters or use harvesting skill pts.. because a tame is all you need.

Noone will tame anything other than a Bear, Elly and Giraffe.. because face it, the rest of the animals are useless.  Except maybe the Cow and the Chicken. These are just mostly useless but produce something worth having.

Noone cooks or uses food.. except me..

And crew.

But they only need veg.

It's like buying a variety bag of candy.. but you only like the strawberry flavoured ones.

A rhino is pretty useful too. Or pigs. Try to make 300 fertilizer without an army of pigs... U will spend a lot of time.

And cooking is one of the most important skilltree. I get always the vitamin buff on, can take two stacks of food with me to support all the vitamins, decays really slow and some food supports you and your tames with buffs. Pretty nice to harvest and farm stuff.

And as long as the game is not finished yet, you have to deal with changes like all the others too. 

Changes are one thing.. but stuff that stops me playing, those aren't changes, those are failings.  And I've pretty much stopped playing now, only log in to maintain.. soon I'll scuttle the ships and log out for.. ever maybe.

Edited by Martyn