I was under the impression that the new fishing net "automatically" catches fish.

1. When siting in a chair on my Schooner it won't let me cast due to "no ammo". Fine I add some sap.
  2. Casting it in the water eventually brings up the mini-game as if I was using a fishing rod.

Is this a bug or a bad design choice that somehow made it past the PTR?

It's basically a fishing rod that works when the ship is moving, I guess its an attempt to entertain passangers on ships 

As per their description:

• Fishing Net: Can only be used when sitting. Equips on the back slot. Will begin automatically catch fish when boat has met minimum sailing minimum velocity

It doesn't automatically do ANYTHING. Why would a net require bait? Has anyone ever used a fishing net before? I wouldn't even mind the bait as much if it actually "automatically" caught fish. It doesn't. I hate it. 

A better option may have to been to just make it another boat attachment. That way you'd need a platform for it and could actually have a specialized boat for fishing...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Portly Stout said:

As per their description:

• Fishing Net: Can only be used when sitting. Equips on the back slot. Will begin automatically catch fish when boat has met minimum sailing minimum velocity

It doesn't automatically do ANYTHING. Why would a net require bait? Has anyone ever used a fishing net before? I wouldn't even mind the bait as much if it actually "automatically" caught fish. It doesn't. I hate it. 

A better option may have to been to just make it another boat attachment. That way you'd need a platform for it and could actually have a specialized boat for fishing...

Had to laugh. I could actually envision the rant.

bot laughing at you but with you even though I am sure you are not laughing. And yeah, that is pretty ridiculous if you have to use the net that way

Just now, Realist said:

Had to laugh. I could actually envision the rant.

bot laughing at you but with you even though I am sure you are not laughing. And yeah, that is pretty ridiculous if you have to use the net that way

Don't worry, it was meant to be partially funny. I just honestly don't get what they were going for so I figured I'd write out my exact thoughts.

• Like 1

What kind of sap you use , the resin sap not work for both fishing net and fishing rob which is bs .

39 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

What kind of sap you use , the resin sap not work for both fishing net and fishing rob which is bs .

Wow! Once again, shouldn’t need bait 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Capt Caveman said:

I cant get it to work!!! I sit in seat, with net in hand, saps in inventory but it still tells me 'No Ammo'???

You have to take the net out of your hotbar then drag sap on top of it then put it back on your hotbar. Still stupid if you ask me...

Wait...a fishing net that requires the ship to sail a minimum speed...requires bait?  Really?  FACEPALM

OK, this is just that game dev mentality that something must be required to make something work, to make something else work, so you can build X, to make y work, to you can get Z.  Makes sense sometimes, but in this case, it makes no sense at all.

• Like 3

or you know they could take conan exile aproach and just have a fish trap that takes in a meaty bait and ever 2 sec it randomize a chance to catch a fish  for the duration of the meat's decay rate.   so if it has a 5 min decay rate then that mean you get 9000 attempt to catch a fish in it.   It is low grade fish mostly with a chance of mid grade fish... the low grade fish is then used as bait to catch mid to high grade of fish. 

What do yall think... it lessen the effect of needing to find the stupid sap and it give you a bait type for real fishing at the same time it lets you obtain low grade fish to be use in recipes.  Honestly its stuff like this that makes me wonder how does they even profit.    

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Portly Stout said:

You have to take the net out of your hotbar then drag sap on top of it then put it back on your hotbar. Still stupid if you ask me...

Thanks for that, it works a treat even though it still catches fish when its telling me I'm not going fast enough...I think it matters how intense the green glow is around the net.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Capt Caveman said:

Thanks for that, it works a treat even though it still catches fish when its telling me I'm not going fast enough...I think it matters how intense the green glow is around the net.

I approve wholeheartedly sir of your screen name, avatar and profile.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

I thank you Sir.

Never even tried it, its a waste of time. People are right you should not need any bait and it should catch fish automatic, silly item.

If i want quick fish though i just use the sub, kills fish and shark no problem although i know not everyone has it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Never even tried it, its a waste of time. People are right you should not need any bait and it should catch fish automatic, silly item.

If i want quick fish though i just use the sub, kills fish and shark no problem although i know not everyone has it.

And how do you fish in RL? you get your gear together, construct/put together your rod/net, attach bait then put it/cast into water....seems pretty obvious now....

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

1 hour ago, Capt Caveman said:

And how do you fish in RL? you get your gear together, construct/put together your rod/net, attach bait then put it/cast into water....seems pretty obvious now....

That's the thing, if you read above I posted the exact description from the patch notes of how the fish net is supposed to work. It isn't just our opinion that it should automatically catch fish, IT'S IN THEIR OWN DESCRIPTION
I've used cast nets before to catch bait fish to use to catch Snook. Never used bait to catch bait fish even though, as I mentioned above, I wouldn't even mind having to use bait (even as ridiculous as the concept is) if it would catch fish automatically. But... it doesn't. 

TLDR; Fish net doesn't match the description, doesn't auto catch anything, and is nothing more than a fishing rod you can use on a moving boat. I hate it.

Ok, I've caught two fish, but where does the game put them after they're caught?  I've looked in my inventory, the ship's resource box and storage box, no dice.  Where should they appear?  Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

Ok, I've caught two fish, but where does the game put them after they're caught?  I've looked in my inventory, the ship's resource box and storage box, no dice.  Where should they appear?  Thanks.

in your inventory u get fish meat and other junk 

Ok, thanks, that's exactly what I got.  I thought I was going to get a fish lol.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, boomervoncannon said:

Unga Bunga!

Haven't tried one of these yet, but just got a blueprint for a mythic one with +500% efficiency. Anyone who has used one think it might be worth the heap of mythos I would have to spend?

They basically used the resources for the fishing pole and made a net.  only difference between the two is the net has to be on a moving ship.  But the net uses bait?  WHY?   It just seems like a cheap attempt to give people a mini game to play while sailing....cause you know we want more of these silly reflex based mini games to annoy us!

If you going to implement a fishing net Devs, Just give me something that I can just drop in the water and get a prize.  THANKS!

Not sure if anyone has tried this or if it's a thing, but maybe it's intended to give crew members as passive fishing whilst sailing? Hire an npc and give it net plus bait. I'm still extremely new so excuse my not knowing how they work. 😄

Tried the fishing rod once, got bored. Never did it again. If I need fish for something, just use a spear gun or bow and swim, much more active that way and you get more fish.