Salty Del

So you want to tame a tortugar.

Tortugar are massive, and hard to miss when you come across them. They have bioluminescent spots on their backs that are pretty easy to see at night.

How we tamed our first tortugar was fairly standard. Found one, took down its health and bola’d it, then put billboards around it to hold it in place. Works well enough, provided that the billboards are on the same level. Did I mention they’re huge?

If you’re using a bear, be aware that biting its butt doesn’t work. You have to hit the sides or front. Don’t worry, these guys are tanks equipped with pillow cannons. Firm pillows, but still light damage.

Tortugars prefer crustacean meat. I’ve never gotten any of that, and I’m too shellfish to share it with a turtle if I had it. Marrow works very well though. Fish meat is alright, animal meat is about the same, and I imagine berries are your absolute last resort. I’ve still not tested the prime meats yet.

They are a tier 3 creature, so you’ll be needing a tier 3 saddle. To mount them, you have to press e to open their shell, and then e again to get in. The left mouse button is a bite attack, the right mouse button opens and closes the shell, and c is a tail swipe attack.

Are they worth the effort of taming? I’m not sure yet. They have a severe lack of stamina, which greatly limits how much they can swim. Your tortugar will die from stamina loss long before it drowns. I don’t have one I’m willing to risk to try out its limits, but when I do I’ll give an update.

And their eggs are massive! Did I mention they’re huge?

• Thanks 2

Lolol Salty like Shieldhorn big or bigger? I have a shield egg collection in one of my bags from a mated pair. Thanks for the write up. My partner in crime won't be home for a few more hours and he wanted to go turtle hunting. Guess i'll go prep for us and grab some crabcakes in the trench. Literally get the meat from killing crabs. 

I really hope they bump the spawns up on these as they seem to be beyond rare to find. Or I just have very bad luck in my search.

Yes the new islands in the 8 grids are their spawn points. Camels I guess are rare spawns in desert biomes. Haven't went and looked for either yet. Being the happy hoarder with the cargo racks rightnow

1 hour ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Lolol Salty like Shieldhorn big or bigger? I have a shield egg collection in one of my bags from a mated pair. Thanks for the write up. My partner in crime won't be home for a few more hours and he wanted to go turtle hunting. Guess i'll go prep for us and grab some crabcakes in the trench. Literally get the meat from killing crabs. 

I haven’t tamed a shieldhorn yet, but yes, I do believe they are bigger. They dwarf an elephant, and I think that with the shell open it may reach higher than a giraffe.

If you plan on catching more than one, bring a galleon. I could only fit one on our brig, and it looked ridiculous.

We got 6.9% affinity on prime animal meat, which is the same as I get feeding honey to a bear when taming top level so prime may be on the same level as crab meat 

Are the TORTUGAR so rare? Went to one of these new islands, but dont find anyone. Do the have special spawnpoints? Swampwater for example?

They are a rare spawn, but if you clear out the current animals in a few areas and loop back one will pop up eventually.

I’ve found them along beaches, or in ground level trenches on the island we’re on. I don’t know if they can spawn higher up or not, but I’ve not found one much above sea level.