totrider

Breeding is a nightmare if you are a casual player - but what could be done about it?

32 minutes ago, Realist said:

But it is ea so everything should be extremely easy right now so better testing of the ea game can be done. A solo person easily be able to build anything and accomplish anything in order to be effective as a tester.

that is where the problem really is. People are testing they are playing. There also needs to be monthly wipes so the early stages can be better tested.

Considering we’re two months in and a sizeable percentage of the player base is already at endgame content, some would argue that it already is extremely easy. testing the longevity of content and balancing it is arguably just as important if not more so than actually testing the mechanics. For example, breeding. They already know it works for the most part, as much of it was fine tuned for arc. But getting the balance right on difficulty vs reward, yet ensuring it doesn’t flood or break the game will take much longer than testing the mechanics. 

15 hours ago, TerrorTrooper said:

This is a long term survival game and not everything g is meant to be easy, not everything is meant to be done solo, not everything is meant to require minimum effort. 

The problem with this game, and many games that are similar, are that you can spend a lot of time, and I do mean a lot of time, building up, and yet everything can be taken from you in an instant.  Maybe when you aren't even around.

I was breeding bears...solo, because we were a small company, and nobody else seemed interested.  Fine, so I breed a quality male with several females.  2 babies died because I was not aware that they went through meat like it was candy.  I learned to use veggies as much as possible.  All other babies survived...6 in total.  But we were raided when the babies were about 90% mature.  We repelled the raid, and the babies lived.  I can guarantee you that I would have uninstalled the game had those babies been lost so easily, after all the sleep I lost to raise them, and imprint them.

I have seen many people quit the game after a raid.  It is a daunting task to start out with everybody else, get raided after a few weeks or months, and have to start completely over.  Most people are not up for that, which is why I see most survival games start out strong, and then the player base dies out very fast.  They seem to die faster these days, as most people seem to already be just one wipe away from quitting these types of games...which is why I keep suggesting to make bases limited in size, and extremely difficult, or impossible to raid, but then make areas in the game where you need to go, and a lot of fighting will take place.  This way you get a healthier game experience.  You don't lose everything you have worked for, but yet there are still things to fight over.  I hear some people are setting up their unofficial servers such that on the islands, it's always PvE, while at sea, it's always PvP.  I heard some are doing this by setting the vulnerability time to 0, so the islands never go into PvP.

I think that would be a good mode, but another might be where you have a safe zone, where you can keep your most important stuff, but you also need other areas, and people try to knock those areas down.  This way you have something to fight over, but you don't lose everything.

The problem is with the lack of balance.  For a game to be enjoyable to the masses, it is my opinion that the amount of time it takes to build up, has to be balanced with the ease with which everything can be taken away.  If you can lose everything in an instant, it better be easy to get it back, or many people won't continue to play after getting wiped.  If you want it to be hard to get things, then it better be hard to lose them.  Maybe not a completely equal balance, but there has to be some balance to it.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

On 6/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jack Shandy said:

For where we are based i experimented and observed that with 6 grills on all the time a baby bear does not get hot or cold thoughout the day & night.

Interesting, on my attempt, I had absolutely no need for fires, in fact, in the western temperate zone we are stationed, any fire would occasionally overheat the bear, so, yea.

Also, I don't think breeding herbivores is impossible by any means, nor is it hard at all. In fact, no breeding is "hard" at all, actually it is super easy. It is just way too time consuming, as well as too punishing in some cases.

Another reason why herbivores are way easier to breed, apart from the obvious spoil timer, has to be the weight. Most herbivores have pretty good carry weight when fully grown, so naturally, it also takes less time for them to carry enough food to enable you to go out and do other stuff.

And I notice people mentioning that "this is just like in Ark", but that is obviously not an excuse, in fact, it's more another reason to improve on the system.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, Realist said:

But it is ea so everything should be extremely easy right now so better testing of the ea game can be done. A solo person easily be able to build anything and accomplish anything in order to be effective as a tester.

that is where the problem really is. People are testing they are playing. There also needs to be monthly wipes so the early stages can be better tested.

Don't agree to the monthly wipes, as wipes should be more tuned in with significant changes to the core system. After all, we must not forget that this is marketed as an MMO. Regardless if it is early access or not, I don't think anyone playing e.g. WoW would be super thrilled about their character being wiped if they didn't play play for a couple weeks (which is something that happens in Atlas btw. If Atlas was wiped once a month, no one would be playing on official. If they truly want to make it an MMO, I also highly expect there to be no wipes after full launch, that is what their structure decay and similar systems are for.

In terms of breeding, it has never been hard by any means, just tedious and not fun. And for Ark, a big focus of the game was to tame and breed dinosaurs in order to better do endgame content. Not really the case for Atlas.

Speaking of wipes, although it is a bit off-topic, I would be way more on-board with wipes if we would at least keep our character progressions so we don't have to re-grind discoveries and so forth.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. People should be able to play a game they enjoy and also tend to their normal life responsibilities without suffering. It’s a large flaw in the system in my opinion and is why the game constantly loses/gains players. Its a revolving door of players because it takes so much time, which is why it’ll never retain a large playerbase in this current state. Majority of people don’t care about their game being hyper realistic. They want to have fun...