totrider

Breeding is a nightmare if you are a casual player - but what could be done about it?

To begin with, I am purely a PvE player.

So yesterday, I mated 2 wolves with each other around 20:00, expecting me to be able to at least get the babies to a stable point before 24:00/01:00. I was shocked to see that the gestation would take ~3:30, and knew that there was no way of cancelling the pregnancy now. I decided to give it a go anyways, hoping that I would be able to make it work before I had to go to bed.

When I went to bed around ~1:00, the wolves had about 2½ stacks of meat on them (yes, i got twins on my first go), and half a feeding trough full of meat as well. My hope was that the animals would go into some kind of stasis, where they would not eat as fast, or diminish their food slower or just something. Somewhere I read that they will become able to self feed from a trough once they reach 10%, but this morning I immediately jump into the game around 9:30 to check up on them, and in the log it says they starved to death... literally less than an in-game day later...

When I left the game to sleep, they were around 2.2%, so if I had to wait for them to get to 10%, i had to stay up for around ~4 more hours, making it 5:00 in the freaking morning.

I am pretty annoyed that I wasted so much time and effort on breeding, yet the game decides to punch me in the face because I need to work, eat and sleep irl. This makes me not only annoyed, but also very confused as to who this breeding system is intended for. I mean, from what I can see, it will take about ~8:30 hours in order to consider the breed a success. Even if you cut out the first easy 3:30 hours of gestation, you still need to watch over them for around 5 hours! for the safety spot of 10%.

This effectively means that most people wont be able to fit a breeding session into a gaming session during a weekday, leaving it a thing you can only do during the weekend, or if you are in a company with multiple time zones, where someone else is willing to take the babies through the first 10%.
What is even worse, now I have to wait more than 24 hours for another attempt? I get that you want to limit how many creatures people breed into existence, but come on, there are way better solutions to this, such as company limits.

So that is my outline for why I currently dislike the current metrics and method for breeding. It is way to punishing if you fail, especially if you are just getting started.  Just as a side note, I have done tons of breeding in Ark, but that was with mods enabling babies to eat from the trough from the smallest stage, as well as being able to make baby food, not to mention removal of the breeding interval timers, as well shorter growing periods. Now i am not saying it has to be like that, but the current time investment compared to the return rate is just laughable.

As you can probably guess, I don't care about the "immersion" of breeding taking a "realistic" amount of time, because, realistically, their parents should be able to feed them if they are close enough, or even a surrogate parent for that matter. Not to mention that they should not be able to die overnight. Now I get that the time in Atlas runs faster, so one IRL day is several in-game days. But this is still a video game. Games are supposed to be fun, and I don't find staring into the air for hours on end fun, not to mention planning my entire day around this game.

Of course, I also have some ideas for how I would personally address the current issue, so here are my two cents if you will. Some of these ideas do work in synergy with each other.

1. Make babies go into complete stasis when the person imprinting them goes offline. As long as you also limit the upbringing to the person who did the imprinting, this should be fairly easy to implement without the need for new assets. I would mean that the "wants care" timer should also freeze. Since breeding is already a very personal thing due to the imprinting and time required, this approach would work well together with how the system is currently portrayed. Sure, it would mean that you actually have to be online for your babies to grow to maturity, but at this point, it would be more viable to also start tweaking the actual time it takes for babies to grow. The gestation phase can pretty much stay the same, because it would mean that you can go through the gestation phase one day, and start caring for the babies the next time you can play the game. This would be a huge improvement in terms of respecting players time investment into the game, without completely screwing up the balance.

2. Allow imprinted breeder to "remove imprinting/allow company caring". Like the previous, this should also be a relatively easy addition to the current system. I would mainly advocate this idea in synergy with idea 1, as this would be a way for bigger and more time flexible companies to do breeding faster, but at the potential cost of imprinting. Essentially, once the original imprinter would allow company caring, you would pretty much just be doing the breed as the system is right now, where the creature will not go into stasis when the imprinter logs off, but at the same time allow others in the company to care for it. For this to be a bit balanced, you make it so that only the imprinter or owner will be able to allow/disallow company feeding, sort of like how if you have personally owned creatures, only the owner can rename etc. You could also make it possible for the rest of the company to disallow company feeding, which would effectively put the creature into stasis if the owner is not nearby, you know, in case something pops up in the lives of the others who are taking care of your creature.

3. Reduce or reset the breed timer upon failed breed. Now this one is a bit more tricky, as it means you have to hook up the parents and babies so that the parent creature checks whether the babies have died or not. This would just make it so that if you fail a breed, you don't have to wait several days in order to try again. Sure, you could just go and tame some more animals in that time in order to get more "go's at it", but to me that is just a huge disrespect to the player already willing to invest time and effort into a breed.

4. Allow grown up animals to tend to the young. This one is also a bit more tricky, and there are several ways it could be done. One way could be to just have the female parent loose its own hunger in order to feed the young. That way the female would effectively convert feeding trough food into "baby food". You can leave hand feeding in the game as well, just so you have a way to both use the parent and feed the babies at the same time. To me, this seems like something that would not only make the whole baby process less tedious and boring, but also make it way more immersive. You can pretty much just imagine that milk producing animals would feed their young that way, while non milk producing animals would imaginatively feed food from the trough straight to the babies. One way to outline the conditions for this could be for the babies and parents to be within range of the same feeding trough, or just the parent needs to be in range of the trough, and the babies would need to be in range to the parent, similar to mate boosted. It would require an icon asset to be made to indicate that the babies are being tended to, as well as for the parent which is in range.

5. Allow us to make baby food. Having used this stuff in Ark mods, I can say that I am a huge fan. In case you don't know how it usually works in the mods, baby food weighs way less than regular food, allowing you to have much more of it on the babies. It comes in a carnivore and herbivore variant, and is made using meats or vegetables. The stack size is also way bigger, due to the sheer amount needed for babies, and also to address spoiling time. You could make it so that babies will eat baby food out of the trough from as soon as they arrive into the world. I really like the idea of baby food, especially for Atlas as it would be a nice added synergy between cooking and breeding. It would also make for more use of the various meats and vegetables in the game, though I would still simplify it to something like 3 of any combination of vegetables, 2 types of meat + 1 vegetable etc. Naturally, there aren't as many types of meat as there are vegetables at the moment, so generalizing the recipe would probably be a good idea. Since you are making a separate food for bringing up babies, you can also tweak their spoil, consumption rate and so forth, without messing up any taming in the game. It would also get around the problem of balancing baby consumption rate in relation to the spoil time of their preferred food (vegetable vs meat),

personally, I advocate more options and paths that you can take in order achieve anything in the game over just tweaking the variables to a point where it is either super hard or way to easy. Players want challenge and player choice in games, that is why interactive experiences like this are so liked. As game developers, we should be aiming at empowering players, not punish them for things that are out of their control. Make breeding more accessible to people, but don't completely remove the challenge of course.

I really want breeding to be a fun alternative to taming, but at the moment it is just annoyingly frustrating, punishing and super boring. I hope some of these ideas resonate with the community and the devs, so feel free to discuss them further. For now, I guess I will just have to wait for another breeding weekend boost before bothering with breeding again.

Edited by totrider

Try it with Bears... they are easy living....
get them to 10% and they eat from the trough (berrys)... very easy...

Tames that eat meat are a whole different story

You need to canstantly farm meat, because it gets rotten (a Tigre juveline died today because i whanted to sleep 6 hours)... but fear not.... with the new megaupdate hopefully ice cubes will help....
tho i didnt read anything from throgs... just from presavation bags..... well hopefully in the future thy will also support a throg...

till then...

dont breed Meatbags.... only Vegans... *sigh*

Edited by Aasimar

breeding is same like in ark, maybe easier. so deal with it. imprint was made easier too over the time.

IRL if you have a baby you can get up every 4 hours for month dude, so don't be that guy.

8 minutes ago, photek said:

breeding is same like in ark, maybe easier. so deal with it. imprint was made easier too over the time.

IRL if you have a baby you can get up every 4 hours for month dude, so don't be that guy.

IRL your baby doesn't die if you leave it for an hour, dude.

Also, again, this is a video game, not real life.

12 minutes ago, Aasimar said:

Trty it with Bears... they are easy living....

Yea, I read that when looking up info on the breeding system. Though as far as I understand it, the icebox is for cooling your creatures, not food preservation.

Even if the current breeding system is just made easier, doesn't make it better, or more fun for that matter, and I think the devs have a good opportunity here to make something that is better than the systems they made for Ark. And frankly, they kinda have to if they want the game to be more about sailing and exploration. This stuff takes time of course, so I just hope that they eventually spend that time and make Atlas a better game.

31 minutes ago, totrider said:

To begin with, I am purely a PvE player....

Didn't read it all, but I meet people like you all the time.

Don't hope.. plan for it.

Wolves, Lions, Tigers.. all eat a ton of meat.  You need to get out with a bear on a decent sized island or goto a freeport, and store up as much meat as you can.  Even get vultures and use them as preserves if you have to. 

A full trough lasts around 13 hours.  Give or take my shoddy maths.  For 1-3 tames it should suffice, but I'd probably check every 4-6 hours after they get 10% to see exactly what you're loosing.

Have a few fires preferably underneath the babies, to keep them warm.   Full of wood.. Guy I know.. put 20 logs in each fire..

He was hoping was well.  Fortunately, I got him to pin his doors, fires and trough, so I kept the wolves alive whilst he was offline.

If you're pushed for time as a "casual player" do your breeding at the weekends, when it's usually 2x rates.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

Why PVE players are always the ones who whine the most?

We have over 100 bred bears and over 20 bred tigers. Horses, rhinos... We have started the Razor line recently. Few guys. PvP official.

Edited by gnihar

3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Maybe you need to read it again then... I never got to the 10% mark as that was still 4 hours out in the future, making it take a time span of 9:30 hours. Even if you plan for it, you would need a full weekday in order to pull it off. Mine died because they could not eat from the trough yet.

And I would like to have another go at the breed, but I wont be able to do it for another 24 hours because of the timer in-between breeds.

I see equally as many people as you who comment on other's posts that "of course you failed, you did it wrong" and to me, that reeks of bad game design if your first go at breeding is a guaranteed failure, unless you happen to do it in a weekend with enough time set aside for it. Still, asking players to dedicated a 9:30 hour time slot is insane regardless.

49 minutes ago, totrider said:

Maybe you need to read it again then... I never got to the 10% mark as that was still 4 hours out in the future, making it take a time span of 9:30 hours. Even if you plan for it, you would need a full weekday in order to pull it off. Mine died because they could not eat from the trough yet.

And I would like to have another go at the breed, but I wont be able to do it for another 24 hours because of the timer in-between breeds.

I see equally as many people as you who comment on other's posts that "of course you failed, you did it wrong" and to me, that reeks of bad game design if your first go at breeding is a guaranteed failure, unless you happen to do it in a weekend with enough time set aside for it. Still, asking players to dedicated a 9:30 hour time slot is insane regardless.

you didn't do your homework on the implementation of the breeding system, your babies died because you left them alone at >10% which is a big no-no. you don't have to dedicate 10H to breeding, we breed tigers, and lions as well, and stay in the vicinity for 4 hours tops, then we check back every 3-4 hours, for the first 2-3 hours you can't leave because the meat will decay or they will eat it because they can't hold a lot in their inventory, once they can eat from a trough it's quite easy. now with the icebox in the live game it will be much easier if you prepare for what you are about to do.

• Like 1

My ship just sank for no reason.  Won't stop me building another one.

2 hours ago, Aasimar said:

Try it with Bears... they are easy living....

Tames that eat meat are a whole different story

You need to canstantly farm meat, because it gets rotten (a Tigre juveline died today because i whanted to sleep 6 hours)... but fear not.... with the new megaupdate hopefully ice cubes will help....
tho i didnt read anything from throgs... just from presavation bags..... well hopefully in the future thy will also support a throg...

till then...

dont breed Meatbags.... only Vegans... *sigh*

Only needed to read the title dude. You said casual player and that is a taboo thing for these guys. I feel for you and good luck 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Realist said:

Only needed to read the title dude. You said casual player and that is a taboo thing for these guys. I feel for you and good luck 

And I am even being VERY generous when i say "casual", with 542 hours in the game. But yea, sad to see people come here just to leave useless comments instead of partaking in the discussion 😕

• Like 2

Totrider,

That sounds very much like my first solo go at breeding. Was a complete cluster.

Like much in this game first attempts usually are very educational and let you plan better for the next attempt. Breeding can be very time intensive (esp in the first 10%) and does require planning. Once you breed the animals you do not need to babysit for the gestation period. For the first 10% (~4 RL hours) you will need to devote focus to the babies (and manage baby tempatures if required) which requires IRL planning.

I usually breed on the weekends due to this time constraint and because every 8 hours you need to imprint, which means you may need to wake up at 3-4 am just to cuddle/walk. Usually what Ill do (schedule given here is meant to give an idea of time/planning) is mate the animals within an hour of getting home from work (call it 6pm); which means babies will pop around 9:30pm. From 9:30pm to 01:30am, I babysit the animals until 10% when they can hit the troughs (note: after 10% temperature management is no longer needed) After 10% Ill go to bed, but will have an imprint  at 05:30am. ( 8 hours after birth is the 1st imprint). After that its just ensuring feed troughs are full and coming back every 8 hours.

After the initial time commitment, breeding already is fairly casual. It just requires proper planning (and alot of alarms on the phone).

Also as Assimar noted, carnivores are much more of a pita than herbivores are.

Now regarding your points.

I disagree with #1 as not only does that make maturation A LOT longer, it requires someone to play for 48+ IRL hours (granted not all at once, but 2 hours per weekday +6 per weekend day (not really a causal schedule) basically makes it take 2 IRL weeks for maturity) before being able to have a mature tame. That is not a "casual" approach.

With #2, company members can already help feed the animals, but the imprint results in a personal bonus (up to 30% damage increase/incoming reduction) when riding the animal, which would not work as if it was a company shared imprint, as it would be very easy to achieve a lot of powerful animals very quickly. (Honestly we do breeding events every weekend and at this point everyone has a 30% bonused bear already at this point but it took about 5 weeks to get there).

#3 I disagree with as there should be a penalty for messing things up. (I just lost 2 baby bears last night due to having set my alarm 2 minutes too late, so I have experienced this as well)

I like your #4 idea though. It really makes sense with mammals given the milk produced by mothers. Birds could feed from the troughs to the baby much like they do IRL (just without the finding food part in game) Given an increase in food consumption in line with the amount of food a baby would consume to the mother and I think this idea would work well.

On #5, I dont like the idea of another food to make on top of everything else. However, I do believe (esp for meats) an increase in spoil timers when sitting in the inventory of a baby  should be a thing.

Ultimately, I think there needs to be a commitment from the player for breeds because you can get some very nice stats from it.

IE a wild level 89 Bear base stats:

image.png.11e80461c1468630dda627e1be7b6cf5.png

7 hours ago, gnihar said:

We have over 100 bred bears and over 20 bred tigers. Horses, rhinos... We have started the Razor line recently. Few guys. PvP official.

You spelt pvp wrong.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gindorf said:

Totrider,

That sounds very much like my first solo go at breeding. Was a complete cluster.

Yea, obviously the ideas I outlined should can be developed and interpreted/implemented in a lot of ways. I also don't mean that all ideas are necessary in order to improve the game flow for the current breeding process, so they are just that, suggestions.

My problem with your approach to breeding is the major issue underlying with what should really just be a sub-part of the game. Yes, animals do give you a pretty good boost in gathering, utility etc., but at least on PvE, I don't see as much a need to balance players ability to play around with taming and getting better stat creatures. Anyone new to the taming system has enough to learn as it is (speaking on how you need to look for stat spikes and all the other un-explained mechanics). For the first 2 ideas, don't think of them in relation to how long it takes to breed at the moment. Remember that this is just another variable that can be balanced in relation to those options. At the very least, having the option to simply just "pause" the breed would be a huge boon for people, as it means you still have to eventually spend the dedication and time on progressing your breed, but you can do it at your own pace. And just because you could pause it, does not mean that you have to. Yes, some fanatics might consider this "un-immersive", but then there are a million other things in the game that are way more immersion breaking, so, yea.

I also think something needs to be done about the spoiling rate, in some way, but since Grapeshot has previously stated that they would rather try and fix issues without having to implement new assets and game mechanics, I thought it would be a good idea to outline some ideas that would not require too much effort. Even so, if meat would spoil slower, there is also still insane consumption rate of the wolves, hence me mentioning baby food (again, also to get some more use out of cooking). Personally, I would rather be able to convert meat into what is essentially smaller portions of food, than having to harvest a ton of meat because I know half of it will rot before I get back on tomorrow. And remember, with this idea you could always still just use meat like you used to, it is just gonna be more tedious.

Once a game forces you to plan an entire day around a game mechanic, I personally think it has gone too far. For Atlas, we can plan out treasure maps and pretty much anything ahead of time, and then execute on a certain day with the prepared materials or having sailed to the location. With breeding though, you can't exactly go in for a few minutes in the middle of the day and start the gestation process.

When I was done writing this post, I actually thought about how similar this approach to the game is to the recent diagnosis requirements for gaming disorder/ gaming addiction (or however WHO phrases it). One of the criteria is that the person is planning their day around the games they play, to the point where it disrupts normal activities of life as well as responsibilities. So we are talking working a job, cooking and eating food, sleeping, socializing with others etc. Now, obviously it is a stretch to say that they are equal, but I still find it reasonable to say that mechanics such as Atlas' breeding system "promote" this form of behavior, or in other words, gaming addiction. Take it with a grain of salt of course, as having an actual gaming addiction is a pretty serious situation, and I am hopeful that most players playing Atlas have the mental willpower to say "no". The reason I mention this is that it oftentimes feels like certain games tell you, the player, when yo play it, not giving you the option to truly decide yourself. Yes, making a schedule will work, but even with a schedule, you have to run a ridiculously precise one for it to work, and that just makes the whole sub part of the game way less fun to do, actually, not fun at all. Obviously fun is subjective and all, but I don't see NOT interacting with the game is fun.

I did go on to doing another test run on the breeding of animals again, and this time I managed to get 3 wolves and a bear, though highly inferior to the twins I would have had now, had they not died.

At any rate, it is nice to at least see someone else coming with some of their own arguments/opinions on the subject.

Well, screw this I guess. After sleeping for 8 hours, I went into the game first thing in the morning to check on them, but the wolves had all starved to death, with a ton of rotten meat in the 4 troughs I had filled yesterday right before I went to bed. I checked the log, and they literally died shortly before I logged in, that is way to tight and should definitely be tweaked for carnivore breeding to be more reasonable. The bear is fine of course.

Considering that they would not even be 40% grown yet, means I would have had to grind just as much food just to keep them fed, and not only that, but during the MORNING the day after, not the afternoon or evening, making carnivore breeding pretty much impossible during a weekday.

For just a few extra wolves, this is in no way worth the insanity involved.

For reference, the amount of in-game days that have passed seem to be around ~10.

Edited by totrider

2 hours ago, totrider said:

Well, screw this I guess. After sleeping for 8 hours, I went into the game first thing in the morning to check on them, but the wolves had all starved to death, with a ton of rotten meat in the 4 troughs I had filled yesterday right before I went to bed. I checked the log, and they literally died shortly before I logged in, that is way to tight and should definitely be tweaked for carnivore breeding to be more reasonable. The bear is fine of course.

Considering that they would not even be 40% grown yet, means I would have had to grind just as much food just to keep them fed, and not only that, but during the MORNING the day after, not the afternoon or evening, making carnivore breeding pretty much impossible during a weekday.

For just a few extra wolves, this is in no way worth the insanity involved.

For reference, the amount of in-game days that have passed seem to be around ~10.

Breeding is for people who play 24/7 to be honest, especially carnivores. Its smt which isn´t needed at all to be succesfull in this game, definitely not at PvE. It is what keeps those 24/7 people hooked in game. 

Edited by Willard

On 6/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, Martyn said:

Don't hope.. plan for it.

Wolves, Lions, Tigers.. all eat a ton of meat.  You need to get out with a bear on a decent sized island or goto a freeport, and store up as much meat as you can.  Even get vultures and use them as preserves if you have to. 

A full trough lasts around 13 hours.  Give or take my shoddy maths.  For 1-3 tames it should suffice, but I'd probably check every 4-6 hours after they get 10% to see exactly what you're loosing.

Have a few fires preferably underneath the babies, to keep them warm.   Full of wood.. Guy I know.. put 20 logs in each fire..

He was hoping was well.  Fortunately, I got him to pin his doors, fires and trough, so I kept the wolves alive whilst he was offline.

If you're pushed for time as a "casual player" do your breeding at the weekends, when it's usually 2x rates.

hrm....

How fair is it to not read the entire post and then make a statement that is obviously passing judgement on the poster (I meet people like you all the time..).  If you're gonna pass judgements on what kind of person he is, basing those judgements on a single sentence (your own post heavily implies this was all you bothered to read btw) is kind of the definition of a knee jerk response. Also, if you can't be bothered to read his post, why should he bother to read your response?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 2:27 AM, gnihar said:

Because of you own observation bias in not noticing the whining of pvp players or recognizing it as such. Because you identify with these players, you tend to categorize their whining as legitimate gripes and the complaints of pve players as whining. Whether something is whining or a legitimate gripe is a highly subjective distinction heavily influenced by biases of the one making it.

10 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Because of you own observation bias in not noticing the whining of pvp players or recognizing it as such. Because you identify with these players, you tend to categorize their whining as legitimate gripes and the complaints of pve players as whining. Whether something is whining or a legitimate gripe is a highly subjective distinction heavily influenced by biases of the one making it.

Yeah in my experience it is almost always pvp people that “whine”. Pve people usually only start complaining when they make a change to the game that affects pve.

but then again. If you play a survival game in pvp, you usually can’t cut it in an FPS pvp game.

ark and atlas are for the weak lol

On 6/1/2019 at 4:52 AM, totrider said:

What can be done about it?

Simple...find an unofficial server with boosted rates, and a stacking mod.  Between the two, your babies will live and be grown in a reasonable amount of time.  Keep in mind that if you are a casual player, this game was NOT made for you.  This was made for people who game all day long, and do so as part of a large group.  That is where unofficial servers come in.  You can find one that has what you are looking for.  The rates, mods and other changes are often made specifically to make the game enjoyable for solo and small group players.  Some of the best PvP players I have seen, were on unofficial.  Actually, most of them were better at PvP, because they PvP more.  The boosted rates allow for less grinding, and thus, more PvP, so they do it more often.

Actually it's like a job. U need to be there for 8 hours to bring a bear to the 10% mark. 

I get a job and need not another too. 

Breeding a tame for ppl who work is a weekend-only thing and usually there are other things u would like to do then.

Did some breeding for the first time this weekend. started with bears.

It will take a long time, but with a bit of observation and timing it can be relatively easy.

For where we are based i experimented and observed that with 6 grills on all the time a baby bear does not get hot or cold thoughout the day & night.

One stack of wood will power a grill for about 4 hours.

One stack of potatoes will feed the baby for about 40 minutes.

with all that information I can set a timer and do other stuff either in game or not, I also put up signs around the breeding pen as reminders of this information.

This will not be the same for everyone but experiment see what you can make easier.

(thinking of the meat eater breeding, has anyone tried putting ice into a feeding trough? - just thought that up, anyone in game to try?)

Ok, after reading all your points, you do raise a couple of interesting points, like number 4. That could be fleshed out a bit more and be a positive addition to the game, but I disagree pretty much with everything else you say.

let me elaborate why. 

This is a long term survival game and not everything g is meant to be easy, not everything is meant to be done solo, not everything is meant to require minimum effort. 

Why not I hear you ask.. well, if breeding was doable, solo, with a mediocre amount of effort, then 2 months in we would all be riding around on godly tames levelling the playing field and making the whole system pointless. As it stands now, a godly tame takes a lot of time, effort and preparation. 

That being said, the tools are there for you to overcome this obstacle. It’s called gold! 

As we all are different and enjoy different things, Those who are that way inclined devote a lot of time to breeding, and they’re damn good at it. As they devote a lot less time to the things solo/smaller companies do, (like treasure maps or loading a ship with resources) they are usually willing to trade. The amount of gold a solo/small company can accumulate is ridiculous, so buying a bad ass tame is easily within your means as a casual gamer.

With respect, you clearly didn’t do your homework on breeding. It can be done solo, but it’s much easier with teamwork of at least 2 of you. But the fact remains that too many people expect to be able to do everything themselves with minimal effort and prep. Some things in this game require either teamwork, or effort, as if they didn’t, we wouldn’t have a great deal of gameplay beyond the first 2 weeks. And this is how it should be, sorry to say. If you really do expect everything to be simple, then there’s private servers for that. 

12 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Ok, after reading all your points, you do raise a couple of interesting points, like number 4. That could be fleshed out a bit more and be a positive addition to the game, but I disagree pretty much with everything else you say.

let me elaborate why. 

This is a long term survival game and not everything g is meant to be easy, not everything is meant to be done solo, not everything is meant to require minimum effort. 

Why not I hear you ask.. well, if breeding was doable, solo, with a mediocre amount of effort, then 2 months in we would all be riding around on godly tames levelling the playing field and making the whole system pointless. As it stands now, a godly tame takes a lot of time, effort and preparation. 

That being said, the tools are there for you to overcome this obstacle. It’s called gold! 

As we all are different and enjoy different things, Those who are that way inclined devote a lot of time to breeding, and they’re damn good at it. As they devote a lot less time to the things solo/smaller companies do, (like treasure maps or loading a ship with resources) they are usually willing to trade. The amount of gold a solo/small company can accumulate is ridiculous, so buying a bad ass tame is easily within your means as a casual gamer.

With respect, you clearly didn’t do your homework on breeding. It can be done solo, but it’s much easier with teamwork of at least 2 of you. But the fact remains that too many people expect to be able to do everything themselves with minimal effort and prep. Some things in this game require either teamwork, or effort, as if they didn’t, we wouldn’t have a great deal of gameplay beyond the first 2 weeks. And this is how it should be, sorry to say. If you really do expect everything to be simple, then there’s private servers for that. 

But it is ea so everything should be extremely easy right now so better testing of the ea game can be done. A solo person easily be able to build anything and accomplish anything in order to be effective as a tester.

that is where the problem really is. People are testing they are playing. There also needs to be monthly wipes so the early stages can be better tested.

One thing I would recommend which would help in my instance because I primarily breed lions is let them eat cooked meat.  Their gestation4 hour 45 min,baby time8 hours, time from pregnancy to adult 3 days.  All pretty much the same as rexes in ark.  Only difference if you can only use raw meat or raw prime meat.  At least with rexes you could use cooked meat after baby phase which gave you quite a bit More spoil timers in your feeding trough.  I lose a ton more meat to spoilage than anything else which is fine but would prefer it be on par with Rex breeding if the timers are so similar.