Sign in to follow this  
Maxi

OFFICIAL REQUEST: TURNBACK SKILL POINT

So we all have been hit by this patch. I see why they are doing this and thats cause there are what (pre patch talk) 300 skills to choose and at level 51 you cold have 102 min (sometimes i noticed i got 3 skills per level up) meaning you could at min max out 1/3 of the skills.

I see a lot of people saying "You now have to join Zergs" or "you cant play this game solo any more" I never saw this game as a solo game. The dev's had even said in the streamer EA part was "You can play Solo to a point but really you need to be in a group" ever since i heard this i knew this was very much group orientated. There is a streamer who im subbed to and the subs that have the game are kinda split 80:20 (20 to streamer cause its a mess there) but 5 of us were online when the patch hit. We basically sorted out the skills trees. Most of the skill trees require one prior e.g. Rifles require Archery so naturally the person with Archery is in Rifles as well. Ships require cannons so cannon tree and ships went together. there was all but like 3 tree's the 5 of us couldn't cover and we knew there were 3 people that had speced into those tree's prior to patch so with the 8 of us we can cover all the tree except Taro Cards (naturally its locked)
There are some Tree's that are QoL's such as Piracy. Really all you need from Piracy is the Shovels. The rest of it is just personal buffs that dont really matter.

There are some changes I could see happening and thats

1. Halfing the skill requirements
    I dont see 1 point per skill is really good but instead of 8 make it 4 and instead of 6 have it 3
  2. 1st line of skills per tree (except survival) is auto given
    say you went into construction. As a perk of picking construction you know how to do the first row making it slightly easier to do tree'

Other than that there really isnt a problem with the patch due to the what I had said in the start of the paragraph. It sucks for solo players but its a group game i dont see why you should be solo any way

• Thanks 1

If they had started with the skills this way I wonder if everyone would have been fine with it. It just would have been what it is and we wouldn't have known better.

Also, do we know for sure level 51 is the max level? Yes, your character says max 51 right now, but has anyone reached 51 AND explored all the islands, found all the discoveries, etc yet?

Regardless I think this was too big a change. Even if this was how it was intended to be, they should have eased us towards it. We're testing. Don't make huge changes in tests and expect players to be all happy about it.

3 minutes ago, KoopaTheTurtle said:

Other than that there really isnt a problem with the patch due to the what I had said in the start of the paragraph. It sucks for solo players but its a group game i dont see why you should be solo any way 

for why the pve servers is ? show me MMORPG especially only 4 a group team play without any solo play. its a guaranty speedway to the dead game.

8 minutes ago, KoopaTheTurtle said:

So we all have been hit by this patch. I see why they are doing this and thats cause there are what (pre patch talk) 300 skills to choose and at level 51 you cold have 102 min (sometimes i noticed i got 3 skills per level up) meaning you could at min max out 1/3 of the skills.

I see a lot of people saying "You now have to join Zergs" or "you cant play this game solo any more" I never saw this game as a solo game. The dev's had even said in the streamer EA part was "You can play Solo to a point but really you need to be in a group" ever since i heard this i knew this was very much group orientated. There is a streamer who im subbed to and the subs that have the game are kinda split 80:20 (20 to streamer cause its a mess there) but 5 of us were online when the patch hit. We basically sorted out the skills trees. Most of the skill trees require one prior e.g. Rifles require Archery so naturally the person with Archery is in Rifles as well. Ships require cannons so cannon tree and ships went together. there was all but like 3 tree's the 5 of us couldn't cover and we knew there were 3 people that had speced into those tree's prior to patch so with the 8 of us we can cover all the tree except Taro Cards (naturally its locked)
There are some Tree's that are QoL's such as Piracy. Really all you need from Piracy is the Shovels. The rest of it is just personal buffs that dont really matter.

I dont see 1 point per skill is really good but instead of 8 make it 4 and instead of 6 have it 3
    say you went into construction. As a perk of picking construction you know how to do the first row making it slightly easier to do tree'

in the branches of fire have the talent to reload and accuracy, the swords parry, who are not selected this may fight not to go?

11 minutes ago, KoopaTheTurtle said:

Here, great seeing something like this other than people complain and spamming. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KimRSQ said:

for why the pve servers is ? show me MMORPG especially only 4 a group team play without any solo play. its a guaranty speedway to the dead game.

Cause this isnt your standard run of the mill MMORPG where you run around and do Fetch and Grab quests. This is an MMORPG with a twist. You can't solo high level raids in WoW can you? you go in a group its basically this but applied to the whole game Atlas is taking your Team based, Role shooter (TF2, OW etc) and applying it to the MMORPG world and like it or not it only takes 8 or 9 people (depending is a person meme's or not) can cover all the tree's.
Also PvE? You wouldn't really need to take all of the cannon tree or firearms cause a bow, flintlock and the basic cannon stuff for ships should be enough. Also in Floatsam you can find BP's for many different things. Farm them and then you can build from there as well

And like i said the suggestions I had said could remedy this patch and 

6 minutes ago, sydred said:

The dev's had even said in the streamer EA part was "You can play Solo to a point but really you need to be in a group"

still applies. If you have 40000 people playing a game whats the real point in playing solo? you are basically gonna get a lot of burnt out people wanting a lot more content that they can produce

Edited by KoopaTheTurtle

They should at least give everyone the basic survival skills for free. Basic tools/weapons. Maybe even a Sloop skill so you can at least have the basic ship. Then let you branch out from there. 

Edited by SoloHan88
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoloHan88 said:

They should at least give everyone the basic survival skills for free. Basic tools/weapons. Maybe even a Sloop skill so you can at least have the basic ship. Then let you branch out from there. 

Agreed. 

it was done before on ark so just balance it the same way. basic survival skills (and corresponding routes) are 1 point each. advanced skills are more expensive so you have to decide which one you pick at low levels. at max level you will be able to unlock everything thou its for elite players but at least everyone does want a chance to play the whole game not just a fraction.

1 hour ago, Volhmic said:

This will kill off the game for my group as well.  Most are just starting, and those on the fence will definitely not be buying into this game if the skill tree is in this state.

Besides the fact that now none of us can even spec into the ship that we are now trying to finish building, even at max level, this type of tree would barely permit us to finish even one specialization at max (or not even dive enough into the deeper ones)...

If you think that the skill tree at release will be in the same state it's in one week into EA, then your understanding of the EA process is poor. EA is a period of testing and refining. They will try this, then they will iterate something else. If your friends were just starting with the expectation this was a finished game that they could play without all manner of changes and tweaks, including wipes (Yes, there will almost certainly be wipes, prepare yourself or go now), then their expectations were inconsistent with all available information. If the EA process does not suit you and your friends, then my suggestion is to play other things in the meantime and come back in 2 years or so when the game releases to see what it is then. THAT, and that alone, is the point at which you can and should reasonably expect no structural changes to systems like skill trees.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

If all you are going to do is moan and winge and cry at EARLY ACCESS GAMES stop buying them. Wait for release. Wait a couple months AFTER Day 1. I want to say 90% of the steam reviews is people shitting on how Day 1 was a laggy mess. Tell me what Online game with a large player base is gonna do an A+ 100% perfect no issues on day 1? Some of them are "I cant buy the game" Thats not their fault thats on steams end having suddernly thousands apon thousands going to a place to buy something is basically dosing them in a sense.
There are a lot of changes that are yet to happen and to the people that are saying dead game you are very wrong my friend. there may be a lot of salt and rage but it isnt a dead game. if it were a dead game the plugs on the servers would already be dead no? You guys just need to stop complaining and saying turn it back i want my 3 1/2 tree learnt skills back instead give feedback and ways to change it like i did. Its much more helpful than having a bunch of monkeys spewing wanting shit put back when it was clearly broken as fuck

• Like 1

If they wish to convert the game into a mmo with the changes in the skill costs they have made, they will must introduce two systems of experience in the game, each with its maximum level (51) one based on the combat in which when leveling up you invest in the combat skill trees and another based on crafting and gathering in which you gain experience only by collecting or crafting (tools, weapons etc) and that when leveling you give you skill points to invest in crafting skill trees, survival etc ...

they must understand that this change they have made with the current leveling system in which manufacturing, combat and survival skills under the same maximum level (51) of today is absolute madness.

10 minutes ago, KoopaTheTurtle said:

Cause this isnt your standard run of the mill MMORPG where you run around and do Fetch and Grab quests. This is an MMORPG with a twist. You can't solo high level raids in WoW can you? you go in a group its basically this but applied to the whole game Atlas is taking your Team based, Role shooter (TF2, OW etc) and applying it to the MMORPG world and like it or not it only takes 8 or 9 people (depending is a person meme's or not) can cover all the tree's.
Also PvE? You wouldn't really need to take all of the cannon tree or firearms cause a bow, flintlock and the basic cannon stuff for ships should be enough. Also in Floatsam you can find BP's for many different things. Farm them and then you can build from there as well

So on PVE you don't need upgrades for fighting the npc ghost ships?

And again, the devs can spam MMORPG as much as they want, this game in it current itteration is a survival game. And up until this patch it was a decent one for early acces.

And like has been stated here before, you can not have a succesfull game without solo play. This game has no social hub which is easly accessible. So natural group forming isn't happening. And people just aren't going to join big companies just to play. NO instead they will bail on the game and it will be dead before it leaves EA.

If you want people to go into big companies you need to make a curve. Like WoW for example, you start solo, you learn the basic, you learn what role you want and go from there.

THen you get into small group content (bigger boats for example) and have fun with that till you hit max lvl and now if you want to go do the real endgame stuff you look for a big company to join or create your own big company. That's a cycle that will keep your game alive and give everyone something to do. All this now does is people log in, see a massive grind, no real sense of progression and log off to never return. Cause the first lvls of this game are tedious and not fun. Simple as that. The grind should kick in the middle of the game not the start. 

just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Ferfire said:

If they wish to convert the game into a mmo with the changes in the skill costs they have made, they will must introduce two systems of experience in the game, each with its maximum level (51) one based on the combat in which when leveling up you invest in the combat skill trees and another based on crafting and gathering in which you gain experience only by collecting or crafting (tools, weapons etc) and that when leveling you give you skill points to invest in crafting skill trees, survival etc ...

they must understand that this change they have made with the current leveling system in which manufacturing, combat and survival skills under the same maximum level (51) of today is absolute madness.

absolutely right. and people who write that the system is good, a feeling that waiting for a gift from the developers

• Like 1

This new skill point system is absolutely terrible.

Example - 26 points to get to firearms after learning archery. 16 total points of that are related to learning up to Mythic/Legendary bow/spears? Why? In what way does that have anything to do with firearms? If you're going to blow up the point totals like this, you HAVE to make other areas accessible earlier. We're only going to be able to spec in like 1-2 total trees assuming you actually hit level 100 or whatever the max is. I'm only level 29, and there's no reason to do anything but archery. Low level players won't be able to do ANYTHING. You really need to reconsider your adjustments here, because not only are they bad, they don't make sense. Your player base is going to drop significantly after seeing this. 

Recommendation: If you absolutely have to do something like this (not sure why, as it wasn't broken in the first place), then only make the feats/end tier skills be 8-10 points. Make everything else 1-2 points. Most of us want this game to succeed, but making changes like this are a path to failure.

1 minute ago, Ferfire said:

Could have a 2 tree system with sub systems or each tree earns you EXP meaning you can either

1. become better at the skill (say if you were shooting a flintlock you could be dealing more damage or every x shot applies a blind or slow etc) 
  2. say you weren't spced into rifles but you used a rifle X amount of times you then get the understanding of rifles and can passively earn points

I dont know if you could apply passives to crafting/building maybe have them all fall semi under the same grouping and then say every time you make a club or a wall you earn a little bit of EXP into the Building/Crafting tree line

6 minutes ago, KoopaTheTurtle said:

If all you are going to do is moan and winge and cry at EARLY ACCESS GAMES stop buying them. Wait for release. Wait a couple months AFTER Day 1. I want to say 90% of the steam reviews is people shitting on how Day 1 was a laggy mess. Tell me what Online game with a large player base is gonna do an A+ 100% perfect no issues on day 1? Some of them are "I cant buy the game" Thats not their fault thats on steams end having suddernly thousands apon thousands going to a place to buy something is basically dosing them in a sense.
There are a lot of changes that are yet to happen and to the people that are saying dead game you are very wrong my friend. there may be a lot of salt and rage but it isnt a dead game. if it were a dead game the plugs on the servers would already be dead no? You guys just need to stop complaining and saying turn it back i want my 3 1/2 tree learnt skills back instead give feedback and ways to change it like i did. Its much more helpful than having a bunch of monkeys spewing wanting shit put back when it was clearly broken as fuck

I agree on the day one lag post stuff, but this is just a straight up stupid balance decision on which they are getting massive feedback right now. Which is the whole point of EA. They tried something, what small community they have is in outrages, to me a pretty big sign this was a bad change, so revert, and back to the drawing board is the correct action. And let's not even start on the whole ghost ship spawning debacle.

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

If you think that the skill tree at release will be in the same state it's in one week into EA, then your understanding of the EA process is poor. EA is a period of testing and refining. They will try this, then they will iterate something else. If your friends were just starting with the expectation this was a finished game that they could play without all manner of changes and tweaks, including wipes (Yes, there will almost certainly be wipes, prepare yourself or go now), then their expectations were inconsistent with all available information. If the EA process does not suit you and your friends, then my suggestion is to play other things in the meantime and come back in 2 years or so when the game releases to see what it is then. THAT, and that alone, is the point at which you can and should reasonably expect no structural changes to systems like skill trees.

This exactly. It will change. And to add, they may not respond directly to suggestions in the forums and twitter but they see it.

1 minute ago, Verisan said:

I agree on the day one lag post stuff, but this is just a straight up stupid balance decision on which they are getting massive feedback right now. Which is the whole point of EA. They tried something, what small community they have is in outrages, to me a pretty big sign this was a bad change, so revert, and back to the drawing board is the correct action. And let's not even start on the whole ghost ship spawning debacle.

Yes but there’s people posting alternatives and there are people flaming and screaming that it needs to be reverted. 

4 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yes but there’s people posting alternatives and there are people flaming and screaming that it needs to be reverted. 

Understandable,, this a design decision with little thought put into it. Also, i'm quiet baffled why they put the skill tree balance as a prio. There are massive other issues that need adressing and the more stuff unlocked = more stuff tested. Feels like this is something they should be doing at the end of the EA not the start. But I agree just flamming won't help. But I think the community is clear on this one. So devs act upon it. 

edit:typo

Edited by Verisan

I do agree it needs adjusted. How much so I don't know yet.  However, it will also hinder large companies so all 100 plus of them aren't fully spec'd out in 2 full skill trees and partly in two or three others. That way they all won't be combat/pirating ready.

Edited by SoloHan88

1 minute ago, Verisan said:

Understandable,, this a design decision with little thought put into it. Also, i'm quiet baffled why they put the skill tree balance as a prio. There are massive other issues that need adressing and the more stuff unlocked = more stuff tested. Feels like this is something they should be doing at the end of the EA not the start. But I agree just flamming won't help. But I think the community is clear on this one. So devs act upon it. 

edit:typo

I think that this was the original skill tree they had in mind. Just for the launch/test of everything they set everything to 1. 

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

r u really think that the devs read posted msg with any alternative suggestions ? do u think that u r vip?  they just look on the massive reaction then make your own decision and changes.🤣