Teach

guide DEDICATED Server Setup (1x1 Grid Examples)

6 hours ago, GRIFIN said:

ports 28000-28008 must open? will the server be visible without them?

image.png.665d2669dd03fc7c9efb300c379ce034.png

It's your choice what ports you use, if one is blocked by another program > use a free unused one.

Server/Game Port and Query Port must be reachable from the Internet.

Edited by Firedragon

Hi mates! I've got a new problem ))) Some time when i connected to my server i should create a new character, but i can find my old buildings ship and sleepy character, what happened ???

On 1/14/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ben Gunn said:

Hi mates! I've got a new problem ))) Some time when i connected to my server i should create a new character, but i can find my old buildings ship and sleepy character, what happened ???

Your Profile is saved local on your PC and got links in redis db too.

When connecting to a server, it generates an ID that connects you to your char when
reconnecting as long your local profile is working and not broken for the used AtlasID.

PC Saved folder: Steam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Saved\LocalProfiles

Insinde the AtlasID folder are your <AtlasID>_Wide.fow2visibility and PlayerLocalData_<AtlasID>.arkprofile

If you remove these files you can force the server to create a new ID having a new char.

My guess is, either the redis db on the server or your hdd is the issue.

Edited by Firedragon

Ok, ive managed to setup the server, i can find it on Atlas Unofficial server list, but everytime i connect i get "timed out, cannot connect". I checked if ports is open but it seems like they are still closed after this guide, i also turned off windows firewall to prevent issues, anyone know what might be the problem? Did everything to this guide by the point

18 hours ago, Knivet said:

Ok, ive managed to setup the server, i can find it on Atlas Unofficial server list, but everytime i connect i get "timed out, cannot connect". I checked if ports is open but it seems like they are still closed after this guide, i also turned off windows firewall to prevent issues, anyone know what might be the problem? Did everything to this guide by the point

Have same issue.  I've tried multiple times.  Followed multiple guides step by step.   Opened ports, tried DMZ and turned off all firewalls etc.  No dice.  Its wierd I can run Ark servers without any issues connecting with my external IP so loopback is working and like you I can see the server listed in Unofficial but times out when trying to connect.  =(

This is great work, if i can play solo on my own server then im a happy bunny....but i dont understand alot of this, im not good on a PC.

Tried with latest 16.0 release.  Still no go.  Get the connection timeout.  One thing I tried is to use a port checker and I did notice that port 57561 and 27000 seem to be open and working.   But 5761 on the port checking website it fails if server not running the connection times out and if I run the server I get connection refused.  I tried using port 7777 instead as I know that works as Ark uses it for my server (Ark not running to make sure the port is available.)

I'm all out of ideas on this.

Good day.
Please help me.
I do not have a line that the server is running.
Here is the message about the start.
Thank!

PS:

Ports in the router - set up. Even tried to run without a router. Does not help. Just set up a firewall, and tried to turn it off.

image.thumb.png.d85162ed586818fdb4add1a336ea9b79.png

1 hour ago, Dlebedev87 said:

I do not have a line that the server is running.

image.thumb.png.d85162ed586818fdb4add1a336ea9b79.png

You can ignore the two "gethostname" errors, the server runs when "Number of cores" is listed.

If your server is not listed, either you did something wrong in your json file
(using port twice / no homeserver / dyndns instead a real ip / duplicate atlasID and so on...),
something is borking your ports or you are not connectable from the internet.

Everyone else can see your server except you when running client from same pc? > missing loopback function!

%MapName%%GridLocation%?AltSaveDirectoryName=%AltSaveDir%?MaxPlayers=200?ReservedPlayerSlots=50?QueryPort=%QUERYPORT%?Port=%PORT%?SeamlessIP=%MACHINEIP%?MapPlayerLocation=true%AdditionalMapArguements% -log -server -culture=en -NoCrashDialog -NoBattlEye

You can't use DOS var's as base args, put this in the starting line for every grid with correct data.

Your sever doesn't even know what grid it is.

Edited by Firedragon

such file creates ServerGridEditor
removing this line is not better.
Start line:

start /high C:\atlasserver\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00?ServerAdminPassword=testpas?MaxPlayers=50?ReservedPlayerSlots=25?QueryPort=57561?Port=5761?SeamlessIP=134.90.158.12 -log - server -NoBattlEye

48 minutes ago, Dlebedev87 said:

removing this line is not better.

I fired up your json file with my command line (changed to my ip):

ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe Ocean?bIncreasePvPRespawnInterval=True?IncreasePvPRespawnIntervalBaseAmount=30?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00?ServerAdminPassword=myownpass?MaxPlayers=125?ReservedPlayerSlots=25?QueryPort=57561?Port=5761?RCONEnabled=true?RCONPort=28001?DayCycleSpeedScale=0.500000?DayTimeSpeedScale=0.500000?NightTimeSpeedScale=2.000000?DinoCountMultiplier=2.000000?ResourcesRespawnPeriodMultiplier=0.700000?bAllowUnlimitedRespecs=true -log -server -NoBattlEye

1.png

2-Atlas-Game-2019-02-01-16-25-00-37.png

• Thanks 1

You are my savior!
Thank you very much, everything worked out!
As a result, the launch string is different from the one in the manual!

58 minutes ago, Dlebedev87 said:

You are my savior!
Thank you very much, everything worked out!
As a result, the launch string is different from the one in the manual!

The main difference is the usage of additional parameters, and not applying DOS args in the JSON file- as well as the exclusion of SeamlessIP, which was formerly a requirement.

I've updated the guide with @Firedragon's command line (as a starting point for new owners) and accredited him. Thanks dude for helping people out!

Edited by Teach

Thank you for a great guide teach I will be using it to setup my own little mess around server.  There is one thing I'd would like suggest be added to the guide. I've setup my own servers before and I've worked my local ISP company as their technical support and can't tell you how many times I got calls because people stopped being able to connect to their servers all of a sudden.

-  The reason for it is that your public IP address has a lease time-  You are renting your external IP address from your internet company.  If you are planning to run any kind of server it is better to use a static IP address one that doesn't change.  Now the confusing part is although the IP address is temporary you can end up having the same IP address for a long time, then it suddenly changes and I can't tell you how many times I get asked why it changed now.

So you bare with me, I will try to explain as simple as possible, this is not meant to insult anyone. I am jsut aware that not everyone is a CCNA certified tech. 

So to check on your IP address Lease time you can open your command prompt/command terminal  and look up your Ip configuration settings. 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : <<ISP company>>
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-5A-3A-07-20-72
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::XXXX::(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.XXX(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:48:13 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 2, 2019 6:39:14 AM

What you need to look for is these two lines , it tells you when the IP address was obtained and when it set to expire. 

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:48:13 AM
 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 2, 2019 6:39:14 AM

Although, the expire time is set for tomorrow.  It doesn't automatically mean you will lose your current IP address and be given something new.   Several things have to happen at that time. If your internet/router is turned off during that time. That IP address becomes available, and another person's internet/router comes online and requests and IP address. the Internet companies router will see what IP address is available and if that IP address which was yours (currently up for grabs) is still up for grabs the ISP router will assign that IP address to the new person requesting one. - When you come online next day. You would obtain a new IP address and start to wonder why you or anyone can no longer connect to your Atlas server.

If you remain online or your router doesn't go offline. At the time it expires it would just simply request the IP address and you obtain the same IP address back again for another 90 days

The same process applies for your own personal private IP address. Those 192.168. like in my example , is set to expire tomorrow. So any other device could get that Private IP address the pc currently has which would screw up your internal settings of the servers.  So it better to make sure your private is set to static if not anything else.  

Of cause it is entirely up to anyone what they want to do.  Having been on the end of the phone with people calling up frantic about it I am hoping I can spare some people some panic lol.  This is something you need to be aware of and keep in the back of your head when you run your own server that if you don't use Static IP address sooner or later. - This will happen to you. It can be 3 days up to 6 months because you wake up to everything changing.  

(additional information: If you call about obtaining a Static IP address and your ISP only has something called "DHCP-reservation" this is fine, it is the same as a Static. It is a fake Static IP address - It is an IP address that is Static on the ISP side and push to you via DHCP (Dynamic) they bound the IP address to the mac-address of your router/ or whatever device is behind your modem. So if you change routers you have to call to re-register the mac of the new router. This is a secure way to manage static IPs and not having to worry about other people hi-jacking your Ip address. As you don't need to worry about any DNS IP, or Default gateway. all of that is done for you and pushed to you via DHCP)

Also before starting to setup your server - You need to check with your ISP normally on their website if they block any kind of ports for home users (people who don't use Static IP addresses)  If this is the case for you then no matter what you do people from outside of your home will not be able to reach your server unless you have a static IP address or use some 3rd party service like a dynamic IP address.

source : http://www.sectv.com/Web/aspInternet.aspx?strSystem=LV

IP traffic sent to customers on ports TCP 25, TCP 80, TCP 443, TCP 445, TCP 1080, TCP 6667-6669, TCP 1433-1434, TCP & UDP 135-139, TCP & UDP 67 are blocked for security and network management reasons to minimize customer's computers from being virus infected through well known vulnerabilities and/or to avoid infected or hostile computers from affecting other users computers.

Edited by Killmaster
additional information

Teach the "ATLAS STEAMCMD.bat" file doesnt seem to run properly, it stops when it's launching steamcmd.

What am I doing wrong here?

It seems when I do commands seperately it works.

Also I noticed if you have spaces in your path you need to use the quotation marks at the start and at the end of the pad.

Edited by Potatomachine
A little tip that might help people when they are stuck.

@Potatomachine

A simple batch with this should work:

<your path to the file>\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir <atlas server install path> +app_update 1006030 validate +quit

Example:

E:\ATLAS\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\SteamCMD\Win64\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir E:\ATLAS +app_update 1006030 validate +quit