Teach

guide DEDICATED Server Setup (1x1 Grid Examples)

1 minute ago, Teach said:

If you are connecting remotely to the datacenter server, you probably won't need multihome- just compatible versions (7.0 on both ends).

If you are connecting from within the datacenter- well I will keep my fingers crossed to hear from you 😛

Updating did the trick! 🙂 Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thekraken said:

Updating did the trick! 🙂 Thanks for the help!

Excellent. Enjoy!

Man, thanks everyone that's working on getting all this information organized! 

I might have to add some more RAM though. Sounds like 8 GB won't be enough for a 1x2. 😞

@TEACH Not to derail your topic, but you seem quite knowledgeable on how to configure these servers.  I am looking to make a dedicated LAN server that exactly mirrors a small section of the official map without changing the layout or sector type.  For example is it possible to select a 4x4 section of the official map to host (split between 4 server sessions) so that the section is identical to anyone playing on the same section on official?  What I have seen in the unofficial setup instructions involve template files or dragging islands, so not sure if this is even possible.  Basically I was hoping to either add or remove individual sectors if we ever wanted to venture to other parts of the "official" map without overloading my server.

Thanks,

BD

19 minutes ago, BigDally said:

@TEACH Not to derail your topic, but you seem quite knowledgeable on how to configure these servers.  I am looking to make a dedicated LAN server that exactly mirrors a small section of the official map without changing the layout or sector type.  For example is it possible to select a 4x4 section of the official map to host (split between 4 server sessions) so that the section is identical to anyone playing on the same section on official?  What I have seen in the unofficial setup instructions involve template files or dragging islands, so not sure if this is even possible.  Basically I was hoping to either add or remove individual sectors if we ever wanted to venture to other parts of the "official" map without overloading my server.

Thanks,

BD

While @cpjet64 may be able to handle this more in-depth; the simple answer is yes, it's very possible. You could open the ServerGrid.json that ServerGridEditor comes packed with- that is the 15x15 used by official. From there it would be a matter of removing all the content aside from the 16 tiles you're looking to keep, and then shifting the content of the 16 tiles you want into the top left corner of the 15x15 grid before collapsing the map size to 4x4 in project > edit. You could also do this directly via the JSON files theoretically...you would be modifying the header data of the 16 tiles you want to mimic those that are currently occupying the first 4x4 grid of the map (A1-D1xA4-D4), then purging all the un-necessary tile data. From there it would be a matter of making sure your spawn points and a few other things line up.

I would definitely take a look at cpjet64's twitch channel @ https://twitch.tv/cpjet64 - he's got some solid content in his videos section covering a bunch of map stuff. There may be a more optimal way of doing what you want 🙂

Note: a 4x4 would take quite a bit of resources- 64GB of RAM alone just for the game servers, + the Redis server ram usage and OS requirements on top of that. If you have the hardware/rigs to spare, it's doable!!

Edited by Teach

9 minutes ago, Teach said:

While @cpjet64 may be able to handle this more in-depth; the simple answer is yes, it's very possible. You could open the ServerGrid.json that ServerGridEditor comes packed with- that is the 15x15 used by official. From there it would be a matter of removing all the content aside from the 16 tiles you're looking to keep, and then shifting the content of the 16 tiles you want into the top left corner of the 15x15 grid before collapsing the map size to 4x4 in project > edit. You could also do this directly via the JSON files theoretically...you would be modifying the header data of the 16 tiles you want to mimic those that are currently occupying the first 4x4 grid of the map (A1-D1xA4-D4), then purging all the un-necessary tile data. From there it would be a matter of making sure your spawn points and a few other things line up.

I would definitely take a look at cpjet64's twitch channel @ https://twitch.tv/cpjet64 - he's got some solid content in his videos section covering a bunch of map stuff. There may be a more optimal way of doing what you want 🙂

Note: a 4x4 would take quite a bit of resources- 64GB of RAM alone just for the game servers, + the Redis server ram usage and OS requirements on top of that. If you have the hardware/rigs to spare, it's doable!!

Thank you very much for that, I will check it out! 🙂

I am following your directions and got to the point where I run the " ATLAS STEAMCMD.bat" after editing the file with my server location.

It then opens a tab in my browser that indicates this:

start /wait /high G:\AtlasSer\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe ^ +login anonymous ^ +force_install_dir G:\AtlasSer\ ^ +app_update 1006030 validate ^ +quit

Nothing seems to happen and no files are being copied.  Any assistance you could provide would be great.  Thanks

I can't get the .rar files to download correctly, they come as a windows explorer file so when I extract them to the Atlas Tools folder they are not recognized as .json file. Do you have a printable version and I can type it in myself..?? Thanks.

Ahoy, OP, I had a riddle fer ye. 
I 'ave been tryin' t' set this up fer hours, 'n every time I get it runnin' 'n try t' join, it says "unable t' query server fer invite"
I 'ave:
Forwarded me ports(all that ye should, from video 'n description)
Put me Static IP(local) 'n public IP4 even IP6 in th' argument fer th' map 'n th' .bat file.

18 hours ago, karambeat said:

It is not working for Linux Debian, isn't it?

😞

Not yet! Linux files for ARK took awhile too

15 hours ago, mpoffo said:

I am following your directions and got to the point where I run the " ATLAS STEAMCMD.bat" after editing the file with my server location.

It then opens a tab in my browser that indicates this:

start /wait /high G:\AtlasSer\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe ^ +login anonymous ^ +force_install_dir G:\AtlasSer\ ^ +app_update 1006030 validate ^ +quit

Nothing seems to happen and no files are being copied.  Any assistance you could provide would be great.  Thanks

Did you run steamcmd.exe one time on its own to download the steamcmd files?

14 hours ago, kurikitty said:

Hi, to connect to my own server, what port do I use? Thanks. 

Default when you add to steam 57561, but it connects to 5761

13 hours ago, Reinhardt said:

Ahoy, OP, I had a riddle fer ye. 
I 'ave been tryin' t' set this up fer hours, 'n every time I get it runnin' 'n try t' join, it says "unable t' query server fer invite"
I 'ave:
Forwarded me ports(all that ye should, from video 'n description)
Put me Static IP(local) 'n public IP4 even IP6 in th' argument fer th' map 'n th' .bat file.

You may have NAT issues - You can try to use the fixes in this thread until I can edit the guide with them:

Just follow the last 2 pages, some people at NAT Acceleration in their router, or doesn't support NAT Loopback- everyone's setup is different so it's not easy to troubleshoot every network setup blind.

Edited by Teach

16 hours ago, Sarge Of Greyhawk said:

I can't get the .rar files to download correctly, they come as a windows explorer file so when I extract them to the Atlas Tools folder they are not recognized as .json file. Do you have a printable version and I can type it in myself..?? Thanks.

You need WinRAR.

@Khilandros Any way to get this thread copied/stickied to Dedicated Server Discussion? People seemingly having trouble finding it one category over 😛

Any word on edit capabilities?

People can find me by searching for cpjet64 on twitch and youtube. Thank you for crediting me.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2018 at 4:54 PM, Teach said:

@Khilandros Any way to get this thread copied/stickied to Dedicated Server Discussion? People seemingly having trouble finding it one category over 😛

Any word on edit capabilities?

You should be able to edit your posts now.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eli said:

You should be able to edit your posts now.

Thank ye kindly, sir!

So @Teach, I set up a new server to test with using your instructions.  The other one you chimed in on in the other thread was created after watching @cpjet64's Youtube video and modifying the map to a 3x3 grid (server works great for everyone except me on the LAN).  (CPJet64, for reference I'm trying to set up a server on my LAN for remote and LAN access.  So far everything is great from outside my house but I can't get my gaming PC to connect to it locally).

This new server is a 1x1.  I built it using the 1x1 from the Maps folder that CPJet64 made available in his download links (your dropbox link isn't working so I used that as a starting point).  I followed your steps configured servergrid.json with the private IP and removed seamlessip from the startup bat file. I see it in the Steam Favorites but connection attempt fails with "Unable to query server info for invite".  I was hoping even though that would break public access I would at least have a private connection but no dice.

I set it up the way my other server is with public IP in the servergrid.json, seamlessIP in the startup bat as well as multihome in the startup bat and same result.  I tried setting up a loopback NAT and that's not working either.

In almost every configuration I don't see the server on the in-game browser, I see it in the Steam Favorites where I've added it by internal IP and I always get the same "Unable to query server info for invite" issue.  Whether I use private IP, public IP, seamless IP...

Part of me thinks maybe something is up with the port forwarding but other players can consistently connect to my server.  I can port query the game query ports and seamless ports, but the game ports don't respond (I think that's normal).  So that makes me think the "query server info for invite" is not an issue with my query ports not being open. Agree?

Aside from buying a high end router and redoing my home network, I'm running out of ideas.  I don't get why I could host an Ark server with the multihome setting but it doesn't work in Atlas.  I keep thinking it's something with the hairpinning but losing my mind over not being able to work around that no matter what I do.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:11 PM, BigDally said:

Thanks,

BD

The answer is yes and no.

Of course you can ' mirror ' a part of the official Server, but this will be a lot work and has to be doublechecked if you did it right.

Even if you mirror the part, it will be slighlty different. The reason is simple, all server start with 0-0 > 0-1... and 1-0 > 1-1... and have their
own temperature scheme  (Polar, Tundra and so on...) For ex. if you take from the middle 4x4, you have to revert all data to 0-0 till 3-3.

The easiest way is to use something like Notepad++ instead of ServerGridEditor or you would have to transfer everything manualy island
for island.

"totalGridsX": 15, > 4
  "totalGridsY": 15, > 4

"gridX": X, > 0 (1...2...3...)
  "gridY": X, > 0 (1...2...3...)

change IP's, remove everything that is not needed / duplicate and so on...

Doing it like this can work to make part of the original in your smaller 4x4 but will break "Power Stones" and it won't be Ax > Ox anymore !!!

You need at least one spawn point (home server flagged zone including freeport island) and should choose wise
to have different temperature scheme's + ressources or building will be limited because of missing items to craft it.

Running a 4x4 on a single PC will be a HUGE burden to it!!!

1x1 = one redis server + 1 mapserver, 2x2 = one redis server + 4 mapserver, 4x4 = one redis server + 16 mapserver

Even my i7 7th gen cpu with 32GB RAM doesn't take 3x3 well and playing on it is so and so...

The best choice for a single PC is 2x2 at max for better performance!

If going beyond 2x2, i suggest to split the mapserver (take a look at redis.conf) and build up a cluster.

Edited by Firedragon

On 12/30/2018 at 3:19 AM, Firedragon said:

The answer is yes and no.

I got this to work by using the default/official 15x15 project from the latest servergrid editor github download  I edited the project with my internet facing IP, passwords, etc.  I then edited each of the 225 tiles for my internet facing IP, and also changed the Lawless grids to standard grids (to allow claiming).  Exported the jsons and map images (which took a bit lol).  I then simply host the 4 cells we want to play on.  This gives us flexibility to "move" around the official map by simply firing up new grids before we sail into them, and shutting down the ones no longer populated.  Below is an example of a batch used to "host" the official M7,N7,M6,N6 grids on my PVE LAN server.

cd C:\AtlasServer\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64
set MapName=Ocean
set MachineIP=YourInternetFacingIPHere
set ServerAdminPass=YourPasswordHere
set MaxPlayers=10
set ResPlayerSlots=0

::12_6
set X=12
set Y=6
set QueryPort=57559
set Port=5759
start ShooterGameServer %MapName%?ServerX=%X%?ServerY=%Y%?AltSaveDirectoryName=%X%_%Y%?ServerAdminPassword=%ServerAdminPass%?serverPVE=True?MaxPlayers=%MaxPlayers%?ReservedPlayerSlots=%ResPlayerSlots%?QueryPort=%QUERYPORT%?Port=%PORT%?SeamlessIP=%MachineIP%?MapPlayerLocation=true%AdditionalMapArguements% -log -server -culture=en -NoCrashDialog -NoBattlEye

::12_5
set X=12
set Y=5
set QueryPort=57561
set Port=5761
start ShooterGameServer %MapName%?ServerX=%X%?ServerY=%Y%?AltSaveDirectoryName=%X%_%Y%?ServerAdminPassword=%ServerAdminPass%?serverPVE=True?MaxPlayers=%MaxPlayers%?ReservedPlayerSlots=%ResPlayerSlots%?QueryPort=%QUERYPORT%?Port=%PORT%?SeamlessIP=%MachineIP%?MapPlayerLocation=true%AdditionalMapArguements% -log -server -culture=en -NoCrashDialog -NoBattlEye

::13_6
set X=13
set Y=6
set QueryPort=57557
set Port=5757

::13_5
set X=13
set Y=5
set QueryPort=57555
set Port=5755

Router port forwarding ranges

Using seamless ports 27000, 27004, 27008, and 27012 results in the below port ranges being forwarded:

Query 57555-57562

Game 5755-5762

Seamless 27000-27015

Edited by BigDally
Corrected for proper IP used, etc