Sign in to follow this  
Leynor

Mutations

Was curious if there is a way to tell what mutations your bred tames were born with?  I just bred a bear who was born with a mutation off its' paternal line.  Looking at the stats of the bear, I cant really notice a difference from its' parents.  Its level came out 2 levels higher than its parents so figured that couldn't be it.  it is just a normal color bear so that is nothing special.  

For you breeders out there, is there something that you do to track/identify the mutations that your bred tames are born with?

Thanks all in advance!

4 hours ago, Leynor said:

Was curious if there is a way to tell what mutations your bred tames were born with?  I just bred a bear who was born with a mutation off its' paternal line.  Looking at the stats of the bear, I cant really notice a difference from its' parents.  Its level came out 2 levels higher than its parents so figured that couldn't be it.  it is just a normal color bear so that is nothing special.  

For you breeders out there, is there something that you do to track/identify the mutations that your bred tames are born with?

Thanks all in advance!

Check torpor. 

8 hours ago, Leynor said:

Thanks all in advance!

When you tame a bear, even if it's not a really high level bear, make folders that tell the stats.  So long as the bear doesn't die, those folders stay there.  So one folder would say, Health 451, and the next might say, Food 4500, etc...  When you breed, you can then write down both sets of stats.  Remember, these are the post tame stats, BEFORE adding levels.  The baby WILL get it's stats from the parents.  They don't just pop out of thin air.

I learned a lot about breeding by playing on some unofficial ARK servers that had scopes that allowed you to really see the stats..at anytime you wanted to.  Let me show you.

Now this is a good picture to use, because it is a squid on Crystal Isles, an ARK map.  It's good to use because the levels are very similar to what you would likely see in an average level 30 bear that tamed out to level 44.

20181118024139_1.jpg

Now...the numbers to the left of the dash, would be the levels after you tame the bear, but before adding any levels.  If you added a level to weight, it would be 6-1.  Wild levels are to the left of the dash, and tamed levels are to the right.  Now, note that those numbers to the left, add up to 44.  So, a level 30 bear, tamed out to level 44, would have numbers that added up to 43.  These numbers will never change.  At level 30, before taming, those numbers would add up to 29.  When you tame it, and it says it will add 14 levels, those 14 levels get added randomly to those stats, which would then add up to 43.  Those never change.  And those are what get passed on to the baby.  So, using those numbers, and assuming this male squid is our male breeding bear, we can see that it has a good health stat, a decent stamina stat, a good food stat, and the others are garbage.  So, what we would want to do, is find a female with a good stat in Melee, and weight.  Let's assume we find one with a 9 in weight, and an 8 in Melee.  We would hope for a baby to come out with the 9 Health and 7 Stamina from dad, and the 9 Weight, and 8 Melee from mom.

Here is an example.  Dire Wolves I was breeding.  This is the Mother, Father, and Baby.

Mother

20181026232429_1.jpg

Father

20181026233110_1.jpg

Baby

20181027170725_1.jpg

It took a lot of breeding to get here.  Every one of those 40, and 41 stats, came from separate wolves.  This shows the baby catching the 41 weight stat from the Dad, but ignoring the Dad's inferior 37 Melee stat, and instead, catching the 41 Melee from Mom.  I wasn't worried about the food or oxygen stat.

Now, here is the kicker, and the answer to your question.

Now...let's say these are the stats of a mom and dad's Melee.

Mom 7
Dad 9

Now...the baby catches a 9 Melee, you think..."GREAT! The Baby got Dad's stat!"

But wait...you see it also has a mutation.  You look, but can't see where it got a mutation.  Well, guess what...it did NOT catch dad's Melee...it caught Mom's, and also caught a mutation to that stat.  You just got owned by the breeding system.  DO NOT breed that baby.  No point in doing so.  Breed the dad and mom again, until you get a baby to catch that 9 from dad, or it catches an 11, which means it caught Dad's stat, and a mutation to that stat.

Now, if that wasn't bad enough, here's more to get you twisted...a mutation isn't always good.  Rarely, it is a bad mutation.  So let's look at a new baby from that same mom and dad.  It gets a 7 Melee.  You think, "Crap...it got mom's stat in Melee, but her, it combined some of the other good stats, so I can use it for future breeding."  But wait...you see it has a mutation.  You can't see where it got a mutation, so you are confused.  Guess what...it didn't catch mom's Melee...it caught dads, and mutated it down to a 7.  You just got owned again.  DO NOT breed this bear.  Put a folder in it that says, "DO NOT BREED!"  You can wreck a lot of hard work by not paying attention to the stats and mutations.

This is also why you want to make folders to put in every bear you tame, or imprint...BEFORE adding any levels to them.  Babies, you must do before Imprinting.  Do theirs right after claiming them, and putting food in their inventory.  You do this so you can see where the stats came from, and helps you spot which stat was mutated, when that happens.  If you do not see an increase in a stat, including Torpor, then it is likely one of the above two scenarios happened to you.  That baby is not a breeder.

Also, you noted that the bear came out 2 levels higher than the parents.  That does not mean it got a mutation.  Go to the baby's ancestry, click on that, and look at the top...if the parents were not mutated, and the baby caught a mutation, this will tell you whether it came from mom or dad, which can also help you to figure out which stat caught the mutation.

For instance, let's say that the parents have identical stats except for 2 stats.  Health, and Melee.  OK, so assume that in those stats, they are like this.

Mom 7 Health, 9 Melee.

Dad 9 Health, 7 Melee.

All other stats, both the mom and dad have a 5.  So, if the baby catches both 9s, and then has a 5 in all the other stats...no mutations...its level will be 2 higher than the parents.

i could be wrong but color can also count as a mutation

7 minutes ago, Remo said:

i could be wrong but color can also count as a mutation

In ARK, every mutation included both stat and color.  I do not think they are doing color mutations in Atlas...at least, not yet.  I don't think they are going to do color mutations...at least not those wild colors, like Magenta and Cyan.  I have not done enough breeding yet in Atlas to know.  I have yet to see any wild color mutations, like I would get in ARK.

Some people thought that they got only a stat mutation, because the color change was not drastic enough for them to notice.  Others thought they got only a color mutation, because they didn't see a stat mutation, but that's because the stat mutation was likely that the dad had a 37 and the mom had a 35, which mutated to a 37, thus hiding the stat mutation from the person.

11 hours ago, Kummba said:

Why to avoid mutations?

You do not want to avoid all mutations, but not all mutations are good.  You can only have a limited number of mutations in a breeding line, so you need to use them wisely.