boomervoncannon

Read this if vitamins are giving you fits

So I know a lot of people are frustrated and struggling with the new vitamin mechanic. I was too at first.  Here's two quick tips that will go a long way towards mitigating the vitamin issue. First, there are 3 skills in the general tree that specifically reduce vitamin depletion rate. If you get all three I think the collective reduction is 60% Combine this with priortizing leveling up fortitude, which also reduces depletion rate and gives temp protection and you will see results relatively soon. I am level 12 with all but one of my level up points in fort, and I have the 3 skills I mentioned. My vitamin depletion rate has gone from a PIA to completely maneagable if I have even decent access to the right foods.

So remember A is grains like oregano, mint, etc etc

B is cooked meat

C is fruits like blackberries

D is cooked fish meat

I suspect cooking will wind up yielding further efficiencies but I haven't gone down that path yet. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

cooking introduces combinations of the vitamins blue red ,yellow orange, red yellow , etc ... i suggest you start farming plots .. and make rain barrels ...lil time consuming but pays out in the end.

This would have been a walk in the park if my island actually had some stuff like oregano, garlic etc on it.

so cool. this way you spend all the skills on managing the micromanagement. 

what skills do you use to built stuff with then ? 

and who cooks / works for the guy spending his skill points on the abilties to build stuff ? 

dont get me wrong: i know and like the fact that there are those skills, BUT the micromanagement of vitamins 

is too grindy as of now. 

eating food should make healthy. plain and simple. now eating more diverse foods (checking all different vitamins) should increase health regen time, stamina regen and reduce loss of stamina while working. 

that way you can chose to stock up on one food type and be ok, but you just wont be able to work at 100% efficiency.

it would be balanced and not overly grindy. 

4 hours ago, psykikk said:

so cool. this way you spend all the skills on managing the micromanagement. 

what skills do you use to built stuff with then ? 

and who cooks / works for the guy spending his skill points on the abilties to build stuff ? 

dont get me wrong: i know and like the fact that there are those skills, BUT the micromanagement of vitamins 

is too grindy as of now. 

eating food should make healthy. plain and simple. now eating more diverse foods (checking all different vitamins) should increase health regen time, stamina regen and reduce loss of stamina while working. 

that way you can chose to stock up on one food type and be ok, but you just wont be able to work at 100% efficiency.

it would be balanced and not overly grindy. 

Let’s not exaggerate. We’re talking about 3 skill points for a 60% reduction in drop rate when you get 2 skill points per level. How does this come anywhere close to “spending all the skills on micromanagement”? I have put all of my stat points into fortitude sure, but I’m pretty sure the 3 skill points is the bulk of the reduction. Also in that case we’re talking about all the points only up to level 12. I don’t know what level cap is, but I’m pretty sure it ain’t 20. It’s an investment of *some* points early in order to mitigate an annoying mechanic. Would I agree that it would be better if the default rate weren’t so over the top? Absolutely, but that’s what EA is for in part, for the devs to get our feedback on stuff like this.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Let’s not exaggerate. We’re talking about 3 skill points for a 60% reduction in drop rate when you get 2 skill points per level. How does this come anywhere close to “spending all the skills on micromanagement”? I have put all of my stat points into fortitude sure, but I’m pretty sure the 3 skill points is the bulk of the reduction. Also in that case we’re talking about all the points only up to level 12. I don’t know what level cap is, but I’m pretty sure it ain’t 20. It’s an investment of *some* points early in order to mitigate an annoying mechanic. Would I agree that it would be better if the default rate weren’t so over the top? Absolutely, but that’s what EA is for in part, for the devs to get our feedback on stuff like this.

You do realize that a lot of people are pissed about overeating the vitamins, that 60% reduction makes it harder to manage vitamins, you would go starving instead of Vitamin Deficiency deaths as it is. The vitamin system is nowhere near realistic to real life.

On one hand, I can spend valuable skill points on a bunch of skills that don't do much then waste loads of time harvesting food and crafting it into better stuff.

On the other hand, I can stash all my items in a chest then go for a swim and maybe punch a shark.

It's not really a hard choice to make, is it?

But now with the new skill update it costs 11 skill points for all 3 levels. 3 skill points to get to the second. So it's not really worth it when you need far more points to do anything constructive.

Problem for me isn't maintaining a balance.  Problem is that all of my vitamins are high and I am starving.  I can't eat or I get vitamin poisoning and start to die anyway.  It is easier to stay near my base/bed and die repeatedly so that I can start again.  It is a seriously flawed system that has people choosing to die repeatedly than play.

Just now noticed this post after over 1 week. What want to add, ppl omplaining about lack of food and vitamins just don't have high enough fortitude and don't bother even trying to survive. At start also had problems, but once got high enough fortitude and a place where can live so no longer had to worry about sailing huge distances getting fed became easy.

Grab a spear and go into water, kill 1-2 fish and cook the meat, that's enough vitamin D for 1-2 hours.

For C just eat berries.

For B kill something, for example, killing a wolf gives enough food to have 1/3 of it spoil and the rest last for 1-2 hours of eating.

For A same as berries, just find some veggies.

As to the vitamin reduction perks, they don't stack, first gives 10%, next 10% and third 10% for a total of 30%, go into inventory and there are bonuses curently applying to character, that's not 60% reduction. However, don't take all perks, right now without those perks can't eat enough without overeating to keep vitamins, to be able to keep up with vitamin loss have to constantly chop or mine to lose hunger or take alot of damage, with all perks however the situation is the oposite, too many vitamins.

And whoever has trouble with having low vitamins and full belly, don't be afraid to overeat, it takes just a bit of your HP down, been doing that ever since I tried it. And it's quite interesting seeing how other people have the opposite: full vitamins and being hungry, never had the issue.

1 minute ago, Bushma said:

And whoever has trouble with having low vitamins and full belly, don't be afraid to overeat, it takes just a bit of your HP down, been doing that ever since I tried it. And it's quite interesting seeing how other people have the opposite: full vitamins and being hungry, never had the issue.

Take all the perks or don't invest in fortitude at all, it causes to have too many vitamins. From the first simply bcs those perks reduce vitamin depletion too much that no matter if will even afk, the hunger will still go faster than vitamins. And for the second, no fortitude causes stamina, hunger, and literaly everything go down faster from doing stuff so their hunger depletes much faster than vitamins (vitamins drop over time and at all times, hunger drops mainly from healing and restoring stamina, if someone want to gather resources without fortitude their hunger will just go much faster than vitamins which are not affected by doing stuff)

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

Take all the perks or don't invest in fortitude at all, it causes to have too many vitamins. From the first simply bcs those perks reduce vitamin depletion too much that no matter if will even afk, the hunger will still go faster than vitamins. And for the second, no fortitude causes stamina, hunger, and literaly everything go down faster from doing stuff so their hunger depletes much faster than vitamins (vitamins drop over time and at all times, hunger drops mainly from healing and restoring stamina, if someone want to gather resources without fortitude their hunger will just go much faster than vitamins which are not affected by doing stuff)

Yes I know how the skills and stats affect hunger and vitamins. I have all three vitamin perks and full fortitude, yet always have to overeat to maintain vitamins except if I do stamina intensive stuff non-stop. What I said was just informative post for someone struggling with similar hunger issue.

3 minutes ago, Bushma said:

Yes I know how the skills and stats affect hunger and vitamins. I have all three vitamin perks and full fortitude, yet always have to overeat to maintain vitamins except if I do stamina intensive stuff non-stop. What I said was just informative post for someone struggling with similar hunger issue.

Got all 3 perks and still need to overeat? how, here can chop trees and mine boulders all day and max that can do is halt vitamins from going down and here having no perks at all.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:53 AM, Jerryn said:

Chicken Eggs (and I think other bird eggs) are also good for A.

I tamed 5 for the poop so I could make fertilizer and found they lay eggs at a heck of a rate!  I tamed them last night, and since then collected over 100 eggs.  I don't bother picking them up now.  Like fruit, veg and meat they last ages in a Preserving Bag.

Just now, Goldfish The Builder said:

Sadly i feel like majority of people are still just killing themselves and re-spawning rather then eating and drinking 😞 

yea, probably. Personally I refuse to do it because it just feels wrong and breaks immersion 😄 a better penalty would be nice. Maybe a debuff after death which decreases your stats carry capacity. idk 

1 minute ago, Goldfish The Builder said:

Sadly i feel like majority of people are still just killing themselves and re-spawning rather then eating and drinking 😞 

If that's how they want to play, it's their choice. I prefer having the buff from vitamin balance.

And if there's some sort of death penalty introduced (I'm not saying whether or not there should be), they may have problems adjusting.