Sign in to follow this  
Realist

The mega update is good but not a game changer

Well I will admit they have added some good things in this patch, like the cargo boxes. It will come in handy for a lot of people so I will give them kudos for that. I am sure I will use it. As well as more tames. You can never have enough tames and it is good to see that they will continue to add more and more.

the new islands were disappointing though and I must say the torpedoes are not a smart idea. I did see they added a good amount of stuff mainly for mega and large tribes which is never a good thing and needing the crab will definitely be a smart on them.

the main thing is that these changes will help keep the remaining players happy but I don’t see any of this as a game changer that will bring people back. Drastic changes will need to be made for that to happen. I guarantee at some point they will do another rework of the claim system(which will require a wipe) because that system is still bad. They will most definitely need to make company limits more strict, and for the love of god you guys need a lot more land. A LOT more!

you guys have actually been adding a lot of good stuff lately and I am proud of that but you still need to basically change the whole core of the game for it to resemble a success.

so hopefully the next mega update will actually be a game changer, one that will morph this game into something different.

Claim system is good. Players who refuse to play how the game is designed are the ones who complain and eventually quit the game because they burn out. When people realise they are not supposed to own an island with their 3men company they will enjoy the game much more 🙂

What exactly is the stuff for megas and large tribes they added? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Realist said:

Well I will admit they have added some good things in this patch, like the cargo boxes. It will come in handy for a lot of people so I will give them kudos for that. I am sure I will use it. As well as more tames. You can never have enough tames and it is good to see that they will continue to add more and more.

the new islands were disappointing though and I must say the torpedoes are not a smart idea. I did see they added a good amount of stuff mainly for mega and large tribes which is never a good thing and needing the crab will definitely be a smart on them.

the main thing is that these changes will help keep the remaining players happy but I don’t see any of this as a game changer that will bring people back. Drastic changes will need to be made for that to happen. I guarantee at some point they will do another rework of the claim system(which will require a wipe) because that system is still bad. They will most definitely need to make company limits more strict, and for the love of god you guys need a lot more land. A LOT more!

you guys have actually been adding a lot of good stuff lately and I am proud of that but you still need to basically change the whole core of the game for it to resemble a success.

so hopefully the next mega update will actually be a game changer, one that will morph this game into something different.

What is wrong with the claim system?

To me they have too much land for the current player base.

~Lotus

6 minutes ago, Willard said:

Claim system is good. Players who refuse to play how the game is designed are the ones who complain and eventually quit the game because they burn out. When people realise they are not supposed to own an island with their 3men company they will enjoy the game much more 🙂

Nah, if the claim system was good then then the population would have went back to normal. It didn’t. And of the few that came back the numbers are still dropping everyday now, but sure the claim system is fine the way it is.

it really doesn’t natter what the devs want the game to be 😂 if you want a product to sell you give the buyer what they want, not the other way around. Their vision has landed them a 2-5k playerbase. It isn’t going to grow anytime soon especially if they don’t change things.

people aren’t going to realize that. They just won’t bother with a flawed game. We don’t conform, the devs conform.

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Nah, if the claim system was good then then the population would have went back to normal. It didn’t. And of the few that came back the numbers are still dropping everyday now, but sure the claim system is fine the way it is.

it really doesn’t natter what the devs want the game to be 😂 if you want a product to sell you give the buyer what they want, not the other way around. Their vision has landed them a 2-5k playerbase. It isn’t going to grow anytime soon especially if they don’t change things.

people aren’t going to realize that. They just won’t bother with a flawed game. We don’t conform, the devs conform.

Why do you think people quit because of claim system? 

5 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What is wrong with the claim system?

To me they have too much land for the current player base.

~Lotus

If the new system was any good it would have brought back a lot more players because the old claim system was a major complaint. Now, not only did it only bring in an extra few thousand people back but the numbers are still dropping.

just because a couple people like the claim system, the other 90% of the original playerbase didn’t so it doesn’t matter what the couple of people say.

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

If the new system was any good it would have brought back a lot more players because the old claim system was a major complaint. Now, not only did it only bring in an extra few thousand people back but the numbers are still dropping.

just because a couple people like the claim system, the other 90% of the original playerbase didn’t so it doesn’t matter what the couple of people say.

Now your are assuming that 90% of playerbase quit because of claim system. Wow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Willard said:

Why do you think people quit because of claim system? 

Because I have been on here for awhile now and I have seen all the complaints about the claim system. Especially the “old” claim system. It made a big enough impact to where the devs actually changed the system and risked doing a wipe. So yeah that is already plenty of evidence right there. 

And since the main change in the last update was the claim system that is the main reason for the increase in players after it was released. The thing is once they figured out it was still a bad system they decided to leave again. It’s pretty easy to see that just by looking at the trends.

dont try to twist things around and say that I am saying that is the only reason people are leaving because I didn’t not say that. However this is definitely a significant factor to it

1 minute ago, Willard said:

Now your are assuming that 90% of playerbase quit because of claim system. Wow. 

Nope. Don’t be that stupid. I just said in my other post to not try to twist things around.

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Because I have been on here for awhile now and I have seen all the complaints about the claim system. Especially the “old” claim system. It made a big enough impact to where the devs actually changed the system and risked doing a wipe. So yeah that is already plenty of evidence right there. 

And since the main change in the last update was the claim system that is the main reason for the increase in players after it was released. The thing is once they figured out it was still a bad system they decided to leave again. It’s pretty easy to see that just by looking at the trends.

dont try to twist things around and say that I am saying that is the only reason people are leaving because I didn’t not say that. However this is definitely a significant factor to it

Nope. Don’t be that stupid. I just said in my other post to not try to twist things around.

U've been here on forums where there is like how much, maybe 1% of playerbase? Oh now you know exactly why 55k people left this game ...

There are like 10 more factors which make people leave the game. The biggest factor is, to be honest, that you simply get bored of the game after several hundreds of hours or you simply don't want to invest such amount of time which survival games like Atlas demand. You can't play this for 1-2 hours a day and be competitive. If you can't be competitive you get bored. If someone wipes you you get another reason to leave. Thats it. Not a claim system. 

Edited by Willard

4 minutes ago, Willard said:

U've been here on forums where there is like how much, maybe 1% of playerbase? Oh now you know exactly why 55k people left this game ...

There are like 10 more factors which make people leave the game. The biggest factor is, to be honest, that you simply get bored of the game after several hundreds of hours or you simply don't want to invest such amount of time which survival games like Atlas demand. You can't play this for 1-2 hours a day and be competitive. If you can't be competitive you get bored. If someone wipes you you get another reason to leave. Thats it. Not a claim system. 

Nope completely wrong. Sure there are other factors and I said there were. They just aren’t the ones you said.

ark has maintained high numbers for over 3 years. So you are basically just saying atlas is a bad game, because people didn’t get tired of ark after serveral hours. They all still wanted to invest all of their time in it and there are ole ty of people spending 1-2 hours a day on it. None of your reasons are valid.

the main factor is the claim system. The one that you got right and which is probably the second main reason if not tied for first is the Megas. Nobody wants to play with them so they leave. Those two factors alone will account for most of the loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Realist said:

Nope completely wrong. Sure there are other factors and I said there were. They just aren’t the ones you said.

ark has maintained high numbers for over 3 years. So you are basically just saying atlas is a bad game, because people didn’t get tired of ark after serveral hours. They all still wanted to invest all of their time in it and there are ole ty of people spending 1-2 hours a day on it. None of your reasons are valid.

the main factor is the claim system. The one that you got right and which is probably the second main reason if not tied for first is the Megas. Nobody wants to play with them so they leave. Those two factors alone will account for most of the loss.

The general logic was a person saying I don't want to play with other people. They set up by themselves and can not hold what they have. They get wiped and lose their claim. They want another claim but can't get it and see that a larger company has more than they could have. They blame the larger company being greedy and taking too much. It could be that their thought process is flawed which makes them flawed that would hurt their ego too much so it's the megas. They can't get their own land and refuse to play with other players so they quit the game. They arn't quitting the game because their thought process is bad and it caused them to not succeed that again would mean they are flawed and again that would hurt their ego because they are the best at everything and don't need people. This means the game. So Atlas is a bad game not them being bad at it. Atlas is a bad game not them failing at being a team player. They deserve everything without having to put the same work and effort into it as others. Atlas doesn't give that to them cause it's a bad game and it not fair.

@Willard @Nutcutt3r <-- I like tagging you in stuff and some of the crap you say is hilarious to me 😛

~Lotus

7 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The general logic was a person saying I don't want to play with other people. They set up by themselves and can not hold what they have. They get wiped and lose their claim. They want another claim but can't get it and see that a larger company has more than they could have. They blame the larger company being greedy and taking too much. It could be that their thought process is flawed which makes them flawed that would hurt their ego too much so it's the megas. They can't get their own land and refuse to play with other players so they quit the game. They arn't quitting the game because their thought process is bad and it caused them to not succeed that again would mean they are flawed and again that would hurt their ego because they are the best at everything and don't need people. This means the game. So Atlas is a bad game not them being bad at it. Atlas is a bad game not them failing at being a team player. They deserve everything without having to put the same work and effort into it as others. Atlas doesn't give that to them cause it's a bad game and it not fair.

@Willard @Nutcutt3r <-- I like tagging you in stuff and some of the crap you say is hilarious to me 😛

~Lotus

I saw atlas as a bad game because of the bad claim system and all of the bugs. Well I mean there are other reasons but I am not sure what you are getting at.

Plus I think it is really the Megas that can’t cut it. That is why they not only have to group up but massively group up. Kind of speaks volumes there. I mean they can’t even collect wood without help? Lol but hey, the weak do what they weak do.

were you talking about solo players by any chance? That is the only type of person I can think of for what you said. 3-5 man companies evidently like playing with people. 10-20 man companies also evidently like playing with people so I am just going to go ahead and assume you were talking about only solo players.

10 minutes ago, Realist said:

I saw atlas as a bad game because of the bad claim system and all of the bugs. Well I mean there are other reasons but I am not sure what you are getting at.

Plus I think it is really the Megas that can’t cut it. That is why they not only have to group up but massively group up. Kind of speaks volumes there. I mean they can’t even collect wood without help? Lol but hey, the weak do what they weak do.

were you talking about solo players by any chance? That is the only type of person I can think of for what you said. 3-5 man companies evidently like playing with people. 10-20 man companies also evidently like playing with people so I am just going to go ahead and assume you were talking about only solo players.

you can change the group in for the person in that example for most instances.

~Lotus

1 hour ago, Willard said:

I agree with you, the amount of work even a small island like the one my company has is ovewhelming. No matter how hard you work cuz as the time passes your start lagging behind more and more.  But in a game where you share anything you get with the rest of your clanmates , the way i am, and there's a lot of people like me, i doubt i would enjoy sharing stuff with 60-70 people. So at some point the game just will aqueeze us out. 

Id say nothing of what they are adding is specifically for megas, like everything this game has. Basically megas will get there much, much faster than anybody else. 

57 minutes ago, Lotus said:

~Lotus

Some of the stuff you say is hilarious to me, Lotus.  😛

We've talked about this before.  Solos and smalls DO want to play with other people, they just don't want to be in big companies.  Our island has 3 solos on it.  We do all kinds of stuff together, and also hang out with a couple other islands full of solos and smalls.  We set up by ourselves and we CAN hold what we have.  The small islands are made for this.  You know why some other people like us can't do the same thing and are unhappy?  Because the larger companies are greedy and take too much.  They chewed up all the small islands within hours of relaunch and now the smalls and solos have nowhere to go.

Could it be that the megas have such enormous egos that they think the whole game is for them?  

It makes me laugh that you talk as though the non-mega people don't put effort into things.  It takes a lot of effort to do things with a smaller group.  And weren't you just bragging about how you wanted higher level tames and just told your minions to go do it all for you?  

Your posts were better when you weren't trying to throw shade on all the other players in the game, and pump yourself up so much.

The claim system has issues.  It's not great.  Many people quit because of claims.  They also quit because of griefing, the wipe, hacking, and lack of trust in Grapeshot to work through all those things successfully and listen to their players.  Seems to me Grapeshot is making improvements.  They still have a long way to go, and some of the things they do make you wonder what the hell they're thinking, but on the whole I think it's improving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

We've talked about this before.  Solos and smalls DO want to play with other people, they just don't want to be in big companies.  Our island has 3 solos on it.  We do all kinds of stuff together, and also hang out with a couple other islands full of solos and smalls.  We set up by ourselves and we CAN hold what we have.  The small islands are made for this.  You know why some other people like us can't do the same thing and are unhappy?  Because the larger companies are greedy and take too much.  They chewed up all the small islands within hours of relaunch and now the smalls and solos have nowhere to go.

Could it be that the megas have such enormous egos that they think the whole game is for them?  

It makes me laugh that you talk as though the non-mega people don't put effort into things.  It takes a lot of effort to do things with a smaller group.  And weren't you just bragging about how you wanted higher level tames and just told your minions to go do it all for you?  

Your posts were better when you weren't trying to throw shade on all the other players in the game, and pump yourself up so much.

The claim system has issues.  It's not great.  Many people quit because of claims.  They also quit because of griefing, the wipe, hacking, and lack of trust in Grapeshot to work through all those things successfully and listen to their players.  Seems to me Grapeshot is making improvements.  They still have a long way to go, and some of the things they do make you wonder what the hell they're thinking, but on the whole I think it's improving.

So you don't have a problem with solo person or like 3-man company holding its own island. You even think they are entitled to own one. On the other hand you have problem with megatribe (how many people, 50+?) owning 5 islands. Do your math and you realize megas don't own too many islands if you compare their number of players and yours. They can have 5 islands (mostly biggest companies have like 4-5 islands) but hey, those are 60-70 people. Why does it bother you that 60-70 people companies have 5 islands and on the other hand you demand islands for solo players or small tribes? 

• Like 1

Just now, Willard said:

So you don't have a problem with solo person or like 3-man company holding its own island. You even think they are entitled to own one. On the other hand you have problem with megatribe (how many people, 50+?) owning 5 islands. Do your math and you realize megas don't own too many islands if you compare their number of players and yours. They can have 5 islands (mostly biggest companies have like 4-5 islands) but hey, those are 60-70 people. Why does it bother you that 60-70 people companies have 5 islands and on the other hand you demand islands for solo players or small tribes? 

I didn't say the megas owned too much land.  They are just taking the wrong kind of land.  Clearly, the small islands were meant to give smaller companies somewhere to claim, but as you say, the megas hold enough people to claim every small island in the game, while the larger ones just go unclaimed.

The problem they were trying to fix with this claim system is that there wasn't enough land for all the people who wanted to claim land.  There still isn't.  This new system was specifically designed, so they said, to help smalls and solos.  It didn't.    The problem isn't fixed.  The system isn't working.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I didn't say the megas owned too much land.  They are just taking the wrong kind of land.  Clearly, the small islands were meant to give smaller companies somewhere to claim, but as you say, the megas hold enough people to claim every small island in the game, while the larger ones just go unclaimed.

The problem they were trying to fix with this claim system is that there wasn't enough land for all the people who wanted to claim land.  There still isn't.  This new system was specifically designed, so they said, to help smalls and solos.  It didn't.    The problem isn't fixed.  The system isn't working.

I think problem would be fixed by rebalancing islands so bigger ones are more appealing. They are much more expensive than smaller ones but don't give you any advantage. Smaller companies can't afford them and big companies don't want them. Maybe if they put at least 2 or 3 (on 100+ point islands) kinds of resources on those big islands it would stop big tribes from taking multiple smaller islands instead of a big one. 

Edit: And it would be ofc more appealing not only for owners but for potentional settlers (because everyone wants to live on an island with more kinds of materials) so big islands would actually be a thing in the center of attention instead of a small ones.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Willard said:

I think problem would be fixed by rebalancing islands so bigger ones are more appealing. They are much more expensive than smaller ones but don't give you any advantage. Smaller companies can't afford them and big companies don't want them. Maybe if they put at least 2 or 3 (on 100+ point islands) kinds of resources on those big islands it would stop big tribes from taking multiple smaller islands instead of a big one.

Or go with a carrot and stick approach - bigger islands are better, and your costs go up dramatically depending on the number of islands you take.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Or go with a carrot and stick approach - bigger islands are better, and your costs go up dramatically depending on the number of islands you take.

They need to make those bigger islands better in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, Willard said:

They need to make those bigger islands better in the first place.

I'm sorta not in favor of handing more things to the megas if there's some other way to do it.  They really could just limit island claims to one per company, make the bigger islands a little bit bigger and call it a day.  If the megas want outposts, let them go around approaching other landowners asking for a place to build as they keep recommending everyone else do.

14 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

😛

I feel that each extra island a company has beyond their first should add major upkeep for PvE, for PvP maybe a longer attack window. On PvE there was a tribe that had like 5-6 islands on PvE those guys should have had to pay dearly for that. I saw a company trying to sell an island and that also made me mad.

Somebody linked an article about a week ago about the vision for the game. Basically it had all kinds of crazy things that after I read it made sense. The take away from land was that The larger tribes will hold the land and the smaller ones will live on it. Moving forward the plan is setting up a government system with player written laws. If you break the laws you are banished from the tribe's lands. This makes you an outlaw. If you get banished from enough tribes you are forced to lawless. To me this concept was amazing because you would actually be building a society. Basically the game is set up to have feudal lords and serfs. If you are a bad lord the people leave your land. The concept was designed with PvP in mind though. For PvE I wonder what ways you can provide benefits then I realize it's progression reach that would be most lucrative to me, for others tames, for some a pretty island.

The minion thing was a joke though. I explained how we could come together and start breeding bears that would be super good for everything we would need and the fruit of that labor massive. Not all of the players that put a bear into it still play but they did leave a kind of legacy behind.

I don't throw shade on all the other players but I do poke the ones that start spouting things like they are facts and then have no basis but how they feel.

The devs do listen a lot more than people give them credit for.

As for people quitting right now my biggest loss of people is lack of content. I'm not going to go and say EVERYBODY is quitting because lack of content. It was a beautiful biome but the interactions were lackluster for fighting. The combat did get smoothed out. The thing is though that piece of content has been something we have been waiting for since mid February.

When they make changes I look at the direction the game is going what is planned and wonder why the change would be made. There's another post actually by Realist complaining about the new land being for Megas. It makes me chuckle cause this game from a PvE aspect is way too easy.

It might actually be for megas though. Not directly currently. Continents were announced but need some prep to be put in. My calculation is they are going to remove freeports (which turns the lawless around it into claimable land) and put the continents in. This will be for the megas to have a major landmass to hold making more of an empire with the strongest tribe sitting on the continent then the smaller tribes being allied to take an island of the appropriate size. This would cause some really cool attack/defense scenerios. Like CSTG having their seat of power grid with the surrounding zones for their beta tribes and tax tribes. So NoNoNo decides they are going to push out the evil empire (according to reddit CSTG are the bad guys) and starts pushing their forces from their continent towards CSTG's. They would plan their attack and organize who does what during their war against the evil empire. Now with the old system something like this would just be stupid nakeds killing each other throwing flags around. The new colonies system makes it so you don't need to track down all the dumb beds and sleepers in 4x honeycombed walls on top of mountain. It's more of a engaging action type thing. You get more of an epic war feeling. Colonies flag system makes it so you can attack in different ways. I would organize my army into who wants to do what. I would have some attacking the next attack point to apply pressure that the opponent would have to deal with. I would have the mega hitting an island wiping most of it out then have a beta or tax tribe finish it off. This makes it so every ally of all sizes has an essential piece in the war. It also means you need to have the correct tool doing the correct job so the goal would be to match tribes up so yours always have a slight advantage and can win the most wins as possible. You chew through the islands cutting a path to the continent establish bases to push you farther into their lands. So NoNoNo begins their attack on CSTG's main island and is deep in the fight when all of a sudden UGANDA MAKES THEIR MOVE!!!! So now NoNoNo is fighting on 2 fronts. CSTG is going to push them out but Uganda is hitting islands near NoNoNo's continent to set up bases to attack while shouting "ACTION IS COMING!" and "YOU DO NOT KNOW THE WAY!".

Anyway I think you get the idea. There would be territories with no continents near them that would have kinda like smaller pirate empires that could be neutral factions or join in for personal gain or whatever. One empire falls another needs to rise right? 😄

I like that vision of the game. It might not be for everybody and probably won't happen. I just like to ponder what are they planning 🤔

~Lotus

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I'm sorta not in favor of handing more things to the megas if there's some other way to do it.  They really could just limit island claims to one per company, make the bigger islands a little bit bigger and call it a day.  If the megas want outposts, let them go around approaching other landowners asking for a place to build as they keep recommending everyone else do.

Noone needs or wants bigger island. Bigger island only means its easier to raid because enemies can build FOBs on the other side of the island on a cliff which you will have problems to destroy because of how far it is from your base. Bigger island in this game doesn't bring any advantage. Thats why noone wants it. 

You proposal of 1 flag/1 company isn't quite just. Why should 70 people who play together only own 1 island just like 1-man tribe? This game is also about transporting resources for better crafts. Thats why big companies have multiple small islands across the map - because of resources. 

If you want big tribes stop claiming small islands make bigger ones better and more expensive. Don't force players to take big islands, lure them there, force them think about what is better for them - owning 3 small islands and have approach to 3 kinds of resources or own 1 big, expensive island (much more expensive than 3 small combined) with 3 kinds of material. Then you will start seeing big tribes interested in big islands.

41 minutes ago, Willard said:

Edit: And it would be ofc more appealing not only for owners but for potentional settlers (because everyone wants to live on an island with more kinds of materials) so big islands would actually be a thing in the center of attention instead of a small ones.

I have been saying this since before colonies launched. @Winter Thorne was there the fear was big tribes would take a bunch of little islands. Which I said is dumb but possible (I hate moving mass resources). They need to have the higher point islands have more variety so I could have an island with copper and an island with cobalt or I could have an island with copper and cobalt and silver. I'ma take that big juicy resource diversity island hands down. I'm not going to take a 150 point island that has not good metal on it that is dumb.

I am hoping continents are what I wanted. Like imagine a huge island with 2-3 biomes on it. Like tropical into temperate into tundra progression on the edge of those biomes there's that island it would be so cool. Breed all the animals on 1 island not have outposts with all kinds of stupid animals set up all over the place.

~Lotus

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lotus said:

😛

I feel that each extra island a company has beyond their first should add major upkeep for PvE, for PvP maybe a longer attack window. On PvE there was a tribe that had like 5-6 islands on PvE those guys should have had to pay dearly for that. I saw a company trying to sell an island and that also made me mad.

Somebody linked an article about a week ago about the vision for the game. Basically it had all kinds of crazy things that after I read it made sense. The take away from land was that The larger tribes will hold the land and the smaller ones will live on it. Moving forward the plan is setting up a government system with player written laws. If you break the laws you are banished from the tribe's lands. This makes you an outlaw. If you get banished from enough tribes you are forced to lawless. To me this concept was amazing because you would actually be building a society. Basically the game is set up to have feudal lords and serfs. If you are a bad lord the people leave your land. The concept was designed with PvP in mind though. For PvE I wonder what ways you can provide benefits then I realize it's progression reach that would be most lucrative to me, for others tames, for some a pretty island.

I like that vision of the game. It might not be for everybody and probably won't happen. I just like to ponder what are they planning 🤔

~Lotus

I like that vision for the game too, but I don't like that it's being designed for pvp.  At some point they've got to realize that pvp and pve are really 2 separate games.  It does make sense to do the pvp design first, because it's more complicated and more prone to abuse, but if that isn't followed each time with a pve modification, they're making a big mistake.  I've been saying for a while that there needs to be a game mechanics layer for organizing along towns/cities and some additional content to go along with that.  If they do as you say and once again decide megas rule over all the other tribes for this, I'll be really pissed off.  There no reason 4 companies of 5 people each shouldn't band together and form a town, elect leaders, etc.

Can you link the article here?  I'd like to see it.