Sign in to follow this  
Papito

Cargo Racks

The speed nerf on cargo racks makes them worthless.  sailing in the game is horrible enough without more things to slow you down.  This was one of the best things in this patch to now be turned into a steaming pile of shit.

They’re a little strange but still useful. Don’t attach them until you are ready to use them. You can still hold very large amounts of weight that you otherwise would not be able to. 

A stock schooner and stock brig carrying 8000 and 16000 kilos of stuff, at  a third of it's max weight with just a 20% penalty to speed is far from being useless, in fact it's incredibly useful.

After testing these a bit, we can definitely carry more on our galleons.  But with limitations.  On a Galleon with a single broadside and 7 aft cannons and all the other bells and whistles for a exploration ship, we can put 2 cargo containers on the ship without seeing huge diminishing effects to speed.   Now on our Trade Galleon we have 4 containers but it only has cannons for aft defense (7).  In either case we definitely boosted the carry capabilities of these two galleons.  I don't think fully outfitting a ships cargo containers in every slot available is very viable, but have a couple or even one will definitely increase the overall carry capacity of the ship.

Having 6 cargo containers on a galleon will ruin the speed too much to even be viable.  I think they need a rework.  where you take into account the basic essentials that you would need on a ship and calculate that into your math for these said containers.   Because nobody with the bare essentials on a Galleon for instance is going to put 6 cargo containers on it and suffer the speed reduction.  And if nobody is going to outfit a ship that way, why have it in the game?

I personally think I should be able to load a galleon for instance with 50% of it normal carry weight and still be able to mount 6 cargo containers and still be under the 75% total weight where I lose all speed (noticeable drop over 75%).   Trade ships should be somewhat fast. 

Edited by sgzeroone

On 6/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, =MGC=Ranger said:

Didnt know there was a speed penalty, Tyger is right, useless.

You should have a speed penalty but 40% is a bit harsh 20% would be better

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Remcott said:

Except that just by placing cargo containers on your ships you get a speed penalty now as well.  If you place the full amount of containers available you get a 40% reduction in speed from what I understand, and that's before anything is in them.  Then you have the normal weight penalties that start kicking in.  Someone did the math in discord.

Assuming full following wind;
0 weight, 6 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 18.4 knots
0 weight, 6 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
0 weight, 6 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 6.6 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 14.7 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 8.8 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 5.3 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 6.6 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 4.0 knots

That means a full cargo run of getting my weight as close to 75% as possible which is the break point of your speed dropping significantly is better without the containers.  Since once I add them to be able to bring more now I'm dropped in speed even further.  Not very useful.  I dont want to travel slower in this game.   

while this may (and i do mean may) be accurate its also extremely deceptive. your either using empty containers (dumb) or not comparing apples to apples. using base weights ie no points into weight in ship level the carried weight for 75% no crates is 22500 and for 75% with 6 crates is 60900. 9600 (6 crate with 8000 in each = 48000) + 12900 (left over to get the weight to 75%) = 22500 but add up all the stuff once unloaded = 60900. That's almost triple the carried weight - granted the ship weighs some amount that's not cargo but that just makes the ratio even better.

A much better comparison would be to work out how fast you would go by taking 8000 out of the resource box and putting it into a crate so your capacity went down to 53.7% (22500 - 8000 + 1600 = 16100/30000 = 53.7% ) but you are being slowed by the 6.7% fixed reduction in top speed per crate. TLDR version is below 50% = no crates, grey area when weight with stuff in crates is below 50% but taking it out of the crates puts you over 50%, and use crate(s) if your weight is over ~60%. Because the speed penalty is fixed always use FULL crates (meaning 1600/1600) so your maximizing the weight reduction. Don't carry around empty crates - your just being slowed down. A nice QOL improvement would be an empty crate does not slow you down.

Edited by pfg
QOL note

On 5/30/2019 at 12:21 AM, oni said:

90% reduction, but limited to 2000kg per cargo  rack.

Means you can transport 2000kg of metal per cargo rack, and it will weight only 200kg

I wonder if this is based off of ship weight on my Brig max i could put in the box was 1650KG, ship max weight is 18k so something has changed 

On 5/30/2019 at 11:43 PM, Remcott said:

Except that just by placing cargo containers on your ships you get a speed penalty now as well.  If you place the full amount of containers available you get a 40% reduction in speed from what I understand, and that's before anything is in them.  Then you have the normal weight penalties that start kicking in.  Someone did the math in discord.

Assuming full following wind;
0 weight, 6 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 6.6 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 14.7 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 8.8 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 5.3 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 6.6 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 4.0 knots

That means a full cargo run of getting my weight as close to 75% as possible which is the break point of your speed dropping significantly is better without the containers.  Since once I add them to be able to bring more now I'm dropped in speed even further.  Not very useful.  I dont want to travel slower in this game.    

wow, if this numbers are correct and by simply adding the crates you lose 40% speed then thats quite similar to losing 45% of your original weight

0 weight, 6 speed, 30% capacity, six crates: 11.04 knots

since each crate transforms 2 000 kg into 200 kg we are talking about 12 000 kg converted into 1 200 kg for a saved weight of 10 800 Kg in a newly build galleon with 30 000 Kg capacity sacrificing 45% means losing 13 500 Kg wich means you are losing more weight than you are actually saving, and if we consider a level 40 galleon fully focused in weight then losing 45% of 42 000 kg it means losing 18 900 Kg

Edited by The D Legacy