Sign in to follow this  
Papito

Cargo Racks

How much can they hold or weight reduction? Also the animal cargo saddle.

90% weight reduction

100 slots

Doesn't act like resource box

Animal cargo doesn't do anything right now. I assume bugged.

54 minutes ago, Pallist said:

90% weight reduction

100 slots

Doesn't act like resource box

Animal cargo doesn't do anything right now. I assume bugged.

Awesome, thanks!

100 slots is the only limitation? Transporting metal will be a piece od cake with these 🙂

90% reduction, but limited to 2000kg per cargo  rack.

Means you can transport 2000kg of metal per cargo rack, and it will weight only 200kg

11 minutes ago, oni said:

Means you can transport 2000kg of metal per cargo rack, and it will weight only 200kg

Still not bad. Guess it would be too OP to put like 50k metal on a ship with 90% reduced weight. 

2 hours ago, oni said:

Wait, that is ONLY 4 stacks of 500 metal??? That is NOTHING.

Edited by gnihar

1.8k extra weight per corgo container sounds awsome.

How many can you fit on a galleon 6, 8?

Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, oni said:

Wait, is that 2000kg before or after the 90% reduction?

If that is before that is absolutely horrible!

Put 4 cargos on a brig, thats 8000kg that weight only 800kg

3 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

1.8k extra weight per corgo container sounds awsome.

How many can you fit on a galleon 6, 8?

Thanks for the info.

2 om schooner, 4 on brigs, 6 on galleons. Its rebalanced btw, look at ptr patch notes 🙂

Do you need to be anchored to access them? If so white or green anchor?

4 hours ago, Willard said:

2 om schooner, 4 on brigs, 6 on galleons. Its rebalanced btw, look at ptr patch notes 🙂

Nice, so an extra 12K at the cost of 1.2K on a galleon. That almost doubles your capacity before you start to noticeably slow down.

Except that just by placing cargo containers on your ships you get a speed penalty now as well.  If you place the full amount of containers available you get a 40% reduction in speed from what I understand, and that's before anything is in them.  Then you have the normal weight penalties that start kicking in.  Someone did the math in discord.

Assuming full following wind;
0 weight, 6 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 18.4 knots
0 weight, 6 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
0 weight, 6 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 6.6 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 14.7 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 8.8 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 5.3 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 6.6 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 4.0 knots

That means a full cargo run of getting my weight as close to 75% as possible which is the break point of your speed dropping significantly is better without the containers.  Since once I add them to be able to bring more now I'm dropped in speed even further.  Not very useful.  I dont want to travel slower in this game.   

Edited by Remcott
  • Like 3

Great, this speed penalty makes cargo crates completly useless

The speed penalty and weight limitation need to go. Having the crates already marks you as a floating loot box, which is a fair trade off for carrying more loot. The weight penalty makes it safer and more efficient to do a couple of trips instead of one.

A speed penalty as well, even when empty!

So slow getting there and slower coming back, over, fast getting there realy slow coming back.

Damn, thought they'd brought something good into the game, rather than " Here have something new, it's no better than how it was, but it puts a huge target over your head."

Hope they reduce or remove the speed penalty before it hits the official servers. it'd probably never get used on the PVP server.

Edited by Jack Shandy

Wow, this is going to be completely pointless on ships. No one will use them. The speed nerfs need to be taken away.

And did I read that right? The containers on land can only hold 2000kg? My bear's weight capacity is 4000, why would I even bother with the cargo rack?

Great ideas, badly implemented... Hoping they change both the land containers and ship containers, otherwise, no one is going to use them.

• Thanks 1

Well, I was looking forward to these new containers.  It don't surprise me much that the developers would implement them in a shit way.  Hopefully they fix them so that people will actually use them.

this is extremly counterintuitive, more testing needs to be done. missing one really important part of the equation as well.

0 weight, 6 speed, 30% capacity, six crates: ??.? knots

this is how i would implement them in a much more intuitive way. 

first, your ships capacity should be the only thing that determines speed. not 50% with 0 crates or 50% with 6 crates. that's the heart of the problem.

the cargo crates themselves should weight a fair bit to balance the benefit of having them. each crate 500kg(?) for instance, so when attached to a ship and empty they are weighing down your ship with no real benefit but when full they are extremely useful for carrying large amounts of cargo. after all isn't that what they are for? basically, things put into them should weight less like the Castoroides in Ark (wood weighs .25 the normal amount).

sounds like the way they where implemented is really strange and hopefully it's not too late to change it to a more intuitive, easy to understand and useful way. 🤞

21 hours ago, Remcott said:

Except that just by placing cargo containers on your ships you get a speed penalty now as well.  If you place the full amount of containers available you get a 40% reduction in speed from what I understand, and that's before anything is in them.  Then you have the normal weight penalties that start kicking in.  Someone did the math in discord.

Assuming full following wind;
3 weight, 3 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 14.7 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 8.8 knots
3 weight, 3 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 5.3 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 30% capacity, no crates: 11.0 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, no crates: 6.6 knots
6 weight, 0 speed, 75% capacity, six crates: 4.0 knots

That means a full cargo run of getting my weight as close to 75% as possible which is the break point of your speed dropping significantly is better without the containers.  Since once I add them to be able to bring more now I'm dropped in speed even further.  Not very useful.  I dont want to travel slower in this game.   

6.6 knots isn't particularly slow.  It's enough to escape sotd..

So I need to maybe change my gally to 6 speed sails.. and cut weight to around 60% Maybe use 4 crates... I like my diving platform and dingy platform.. I'd probably go with 1 weight at rear, 1 handling at front and 4 speed in middle, all mastercrafts.  Just for the looks. 6 speed looks silly.

Edited by Martyn

26 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

this is extremly counterintuitive, more testing needs to be done. missing one really important part of the equation as well.

0 weight, 6 speed, 30% capacity, six crates: ??.? knots

this is how i would implement them in a much more intuitive way. 

first, your ships capacity should be the only thing that determines speed. not 50% with 0 crates or 50% with 6 crates. that's the heart of the problem.

the cargo crates themselves should weight a fair bit to balance the benefit of having them. each crate 500kg(?) for instance, so when attached to a ship and empty they are weighing down your ship with no real benefit but when full they are extremely useful for carrying large amounts of cargo. after all isn't that what they are for? basically, things put into them should weight less like the Castoroides in Ark (wood weighs .25 the normal amount).

sounds like the way they where implemented is really strange and hopefully it's not too late to change it to a more intuitive, easy to understand and useful way. 🤞

What we need are different hull configurations.  As how the hull pushes water aside as it makes way is what actually determines your speed.   You can have big fat slow ships.. but you can also have ships that push the water down and the ship up and improve the plane effect on the water.  But, it carries less volume.  Adding crates to the side should make a ship much heavier.. but the overall cost of speed should not be as adversely affected.

Gs dev view seems very economic in how they've chosen to approach sailing.. in a sailing game.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

What we need are different hull configurations.  As how the hull pushes water aside as it makes way is what actually determines your speed.   You can have big fat slow ships.. but you can also have ships that push the water down and the ship up and improve the plane effect on the water.  But, it carries less volume.  Adding crates to the side should make a ship much heavier.. but the overall cost of speed should not be as adversely affected.

Gs dev view seems very economic in how they've chosen to approach sailing.. in a sailing game.

different hull configurations are fine, but that's another topic. if you have more weight on the speed hull the ship will go slower, less weight, faster. same with the cargo hull, you have 30% weight on that hull and it will go faster that 75% weight on the same hull. maybe there is some benefit in hull shape that reduces the drag on heavy loads but i am specifically talking about cargo racks here. the way i suggested would be the way most people expect them to work and be universally beneficial on any ship/hull.

i am racking my brain to figure out why they implemented them in such a weird way, is there some exploit that i am not thinking of? hmmm

i know this is not a ship simulator but the more intuitive a game is the less people rage when they find out weird shit like this.