Sign in to follow this  
asmodyus

Ship is gone from the Shipyard

3 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

What idiot leaves tames on ships?  What moron would leave them on a ship long enough for them to become claimable?

Ok you need to cool down and think about the mechanics of this game. Ships in PvE were not boardable by non company/allies therefore there was no risk of tames being stolen. Therefore it didn't matter whether tames were left on ships or not. Also tames left on ships would not cause any agro by wild creatures.

Then when ships in PvE were boardable by other players in a recent patch this is when the issue of tames being stolen became an issue.

Before the change in mechanics no-one had any idea that tames on ships did not have their timers refreshed upon rendering.

So think about the game mechanics before you start throwing morons and idiots around.

And yet, your tames are always safer in a pen, on land.  There have always been issues with tames on ships.  Even with everything you listed, I wouldn't keep tames on ships.  Timers not resetting would be just one more reason not to.  Not to mention that wild birds on ships, can and do make them sink.  We lost a Brigantine that had 5 slots open on it.  Meaning 6 birds landed on it.  It was verified that birds were what caused it to sink.  Guy got on it to try to save it, but was too late.  Leaving tames on the ship just make that more likely to happen.  So I stand by throwing idiots and morons around.  I never leave tames on a ship.  Period.

On PvE servers before the recent change wild animals could not stand on your ship, if they tried they would harmlessly float above it, unable to do anything and would not add to the crew count.

Couple that with a lot of people having issues with wild animals spawning inside their pens and an anchored galleon with just the top and bottom decks with no sails was the safest and best place to keep animals as it kept them from being attacked, required far fewer resources and needed less building parts for the server to send to clients, reducing lag.

On PvP servers I would agree with you that keeping animals on ships would be a poor idea, but until the recent patch keeping animals on ships on PvE servers was a superior option to a pen, so plenty of people did just that.

But whether or not it's a good idea to keep animals on ships is irrelevant, at least in the context of the current discussion. A bug had been found regarding claim timers of animals on ships and another related bug was found on regard to the decay timer on anchored ships.

These are unintended mechanics that have caused players to lose substantial progress, and even once they have fixed those issues there's no guarantee that a future patch won't cause the same or a similar issue to arise. Hence my suggestion that we should be able to see the appropriate timers on our belongings so that if it does happen again we don't find out about it the same way we did this time around. And also because there's no real good reason we shouldn't be able to see those timers in the first place.

• Like 1