Sign in to follow this  
Pallist

Devs, please address server performance in detail

Devs, @Jatheish specifically here...

Have you ever openly discussed in detail the acceptance of engine limitations that dramatically effect server performance?

Allowing a single structure to be in the radius of 15,750 other structures and the sprawling bases is horrible for PC performance. Find a better solution to bases other than layering, such as upgradable walls.

NPC crew ai it's horrendous to deal with, especially on laggy servers. Why are NPCs even needed like they are now? If i put a suggestion here, it'll derail the thread, but can't you think of a better way to have ships be manned on cannons and sails than NPCs as yet another addition strain on server performance? 

What's the performance hit of all the ships in our harbors? Why don't we have ships in a bottle feature yet? Like ark cryopods. Can we please get harsher ship limits?

Tames and breeding. There has to be a better system than allowing hundreds of females to mate with a male and having all these tames in a base. 

Please, restrict us. Please accept limitations in the engine and prioritize performance. I'm getting to the point where i can't be bothered to pvp because performance is so bad across all the servers.

So again, devs, a detailed response on this would be great.

Edit to add in: pillar spamming islands is incredibly stupid. The fact you can do it, the fact it is so important to do for pvp... Seriously, address this crap. Take the time to address all the bullshat pvp meta mechanics we all use that hurts the game. Show is you're aware of the state of the game in detail.

Edited by Pallist
  • Like 4

It feels like people are burning out because its too laggy to get a good raid in. Whenever server goes over 100 people grenades are very inconsistent, cant reload guns, melee attacks dont hit consistently. On top of that the client side render lag is debilitating when loading in the structures (the ones you're trying to raid). That leaves us with ship combat that usually consists of chasing someone to freeport then turning around and going home empty handed. Or we can go raid a very small company that doesnt have a large amount of people or allies to defend.

my tribe like to build massive layered structures that make me play on the other end of the island in a thatch hut because id rather be raided then watch my pc explode.

Devs need to find a way to uncouple the server streaming content and framerate.  Sure it introduces other issues, but overall it can cover just as many.  Approaching our harbor/main base has caused many issues for us.  We have to slow down and inch in as the framerate plummets and may times its seconds per frame versus fps and we have some beefy rigs.  If this was uncoupled and had better netcode to predict movement it would provide a smoother experience to the end user even when latency skyrockets and packets are lost. 

Additionally, I think the polygon count on stone walls could be reduced a good bit without sacrificing much visual fidelity. Those faces for the decorative masonry add up quickly on larger structures.

I also think the boards on wood floors could be made wider and flatter. Around large areas of wood flooring performance can take a big hit with SSAO on, reducing the number of shadows that need to be processed could increase performance substantially.

Client performance is another thing. I'm talking server performance though.

Large bases, lots of ships, lots of takes lag entire servers.

Let's say a large company has a massive laggy island and another smallcompany has a small base on another island.

If no one from the large company is online, the people in the small company will have great performance.

If 1 person from the large company logs in, the server turns laggy for EVERYONE in the server because not the server has to feed information from the massive base to even just 1 client.

Now add 20 people running around the massive base. The server becomes a laggy mess with that 200+ping we deal with.

This will never be fixed unless devs accept reasonable limitations on what the engine and servers can handle.

• Like 1

One bump.. then I'll let this die.

Are people really more interested in drawing attention to pve traveling being boring?

Structure spam makes the game borderline unplayable. But let's focus on what won't exist if this doesn't get corrected....

Yes, yes they are.

This game should be approaching a PUBG like smoothness by the end of the year. If game performance isnt the #1 priority then this game wont take off when its released.

Its annoying to try to show someone the game and the ships dont render properly,  its gets called janky....fairly.....and the person is not interested.

Meanwhile, I am convinced keeping megas happy is the #1 thing on the list currently.

Game goes unplayable when 50 people log in. But at least CN and TPG and friends can own multiple grids of islands....on a server where that was suppsed to supress this exact mega style. Were all right back in the beginning again.

I've got no problem with my huge base. But others of my company got lags as hell if they come too close.

So that's why I ask u now: why I don't get the same problems as my mate? Your theory can't be true.

It's a question about your hardware. I buyed a 2080 card and a new ssd 2 weeks ago. Before that I had sometimes lags and a bad performance. But now it's pretty nice to play.

2 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

I've got no problem with my huge base. But others of my company got lags as hell if they come too close.

So that's why I ask u now: why I don't get the same problems as my mate? Your theory can't be true.

It's a question about your hardware. I buyed a 2080 card and a new ssd 2 weeks ago. Before that I had sometimes lags and a bad performance. But now it's pretty nice to play.

What server and tile are you on?

When you say huge base, what type of structure count are you talking?

On official PvP, even small 15 man company's build bases that are hear structure cap in multiple locations, have near tame limit and have dozens of ships.

That is just 1 company on 1 island of 1 tile. That alone lags the whole tile.

Now put 3 if those company's in the same tile and enjoy the slideshow as you sail through that tile.

It didn't matter how good your computer is. You have no idea the server lag and rendering issues if you think pc hardware solves it.

There are times where entire sections of our base doesn't render or entire ships don't render in because of the amount of structures in our tile.

My company is just as guilty and i spend part of my days trying to reduce structure count. Trying to place a ladder and we got 17,000/15,750 limit one day because it overlapped bases.

And I'm here asking for devs to limit us. Force us to demolish entire bases and rebuild with harsh structure limit. Make us destroy tames and boats. Whatever it takes to improve performance for everyone. But 1 company out of 3 or 4 on a tile gimping themselves won't help, it needs to be game mechanics.

So I'm still curious, what you think is a large base that your 2080 fixed that doesn't cause the issues I'm describing. You clearly haven't experienced the slideshow servers of official PvP

Edited by Pallist
Typo

I'm on eu pve. Didn't reach the structurelimit yet. But it's a huge building and a lot of people aren't amused because of the lags when they come close.

The hardware is truly a huge point to solve lags and increase the performance.

Maybe you got right too. But this is a thing I don't know. Is your hardware up to date and do u got a fast and constant internet connection? Do u still get performance problems? So then it's on the side of the devs to improve something. If you're not at that point with your hardware, so wait with blaming others and solve your station first. Just my opinion...

1 hour ago, Forb Hidden said:

I'm on eu pve. Didn't reach the structurelimit yet. But it's a huge building and a lot of people aren't amused because of the lags when they come close.

The hardware is truly a huge point to solve lags and increase the performance.

Maybe you got right too. But this is a thing I don't know. Is your hardware up to date and do u got a fast and constant internet connection? Do u still get performance problems? So then it's on the side of the devs to improve something. If you're not at that point with your hardware, so wait with blaming others and solve your station first. Just my opinion...

You're absolutely clueless man.

You can cross into certain server tiles and have 255 ping with constant server stutter. Open water. Your FPS is fine though.

And this IS NOT client side ping. The servers are running so poorly that when you craft stuff you can see the progress bar bouncing backwards over and over.

I promise you, that whatever huge base you have on eu pve is nothing compared to the PvP servers bases and structures 

Sky mortar towers made on a 3x3 grid, layered going up 30+ walls high. Over 1000 structures each. Islands covered in them.

Bases 7 layers thick of walls with ramps between and cielings with ramps between.

Fleets of pvp ships at the ready.

Tame counts nearing max per company on each PvP main tile.

You seriously know nothing of how bad server performance is. 

I have a 2070, m2 ssd, i5 9600k, 16g ram. I can run around with 40+frames around extremely large bases.

The issue is structures literally don't even load in because the server is so strained. Entire boats don't.

The servers are slide shows from server lag(not client side frame rates).

All of this could be fixed if the devs addressed it and put in limits.