phaedread

(Suggestion) Claim changes, murder/criminal system, and sieges.

First, i'd like to say that I think claiming land was a great way to go and a big improvement from Ark. With that said, I think this system is a little to basic at the moment, and is causing a lot of confrontation in a game where you're trying to set up more player based cities and an eco systems. I've put together some recommendations based on my observatins so far, and experience in other PvP MMOs.

Different types of claims:

Territory Claim Flag-
This would be the biggest claim type, and rather than just claiming a small circle, it would claim an entire island sub set (or multiple islands in a small grid). You could even have these claim flags pre-set in the game for every island section on the map. These flags would be claimable by a single company, who can then take control of that territory, and set the taxes/laws in this entire section. They would also be required to protect it and guard it from other companies in a siege mechanic i'll mention below.

Company Claim Flags-
These are small claim flags similar size to the ones already in the game. The company who places this flag can freely build in this territory. The company who controls the territory, should be able to approve/deny other players trying to place these on an island set. The territory claim owners should also be able to set a maximum amount of company claim flags per territory. These company claim areas are still subject to the taxes coming from the territory claim flag, and are subject to 2x damage from the territory claim owners to help avoid insiding, or mutiny. Company claim flags should be a type of alliance to the territory owners, and show up as a "blue" or other color to help the territory owners identify these players and avoid conflicts. Territory claim owners can remove company flags, with a 24 hour notice similar to the siege mechanic mentioned below.

Personal Claim Flags-
These are the smallest claim flags (maybe 5x5), and has similar properties to the company claim flags, but for a single person. These should also be approved/declined by the territory owners, and taxed appropriately. Blue status should also be shown for these players. Territory claim owners can remove personal flags, with a 24 hour notice similar to the siege mechanic mentioned below.

Sieges:
Rather than someone just coming to "claim" the land while someone is afk. There should be a siege system. Something as easy as a siege claim flag could be dropped in the territory. It should give a 24 hour notice to the territory owners, and their territory claim flag would then be vulnerable after that 24 hour period. To make it a little more fair, the attackers should be able to build in a radious of maybe 10x10 around their siege flag to protect it. Additionally, the siege flag should become vulnerable an hour before the territory flag in order to make sure they have to defend before they can actually take the territory.

Laws:
You should be able to set laws which govern your area of influence. Laws could be changed once every 7 real life days, and take 24 hours to implement. Some examples below.

Lawful-
Lawful territories will stop all companies from attack eachother who own a claim flag on that territory without first removing that company/personal flag as noted above. Lawful territories should also allow other players to come in and attack players/housing in this area, but in doing so that player would become "flagged" as a crimanal and go "grey (just a status effect to show the criminal". While flagged as a criminal, other players can attack this person freely without penalty. If a crimal kills an innocent, they should be given a murder count. This murder count can then be tallied up and after X amount (we'll say 5), they then become a murderer. This then flags them as a "red (red status effect)" to show other players that this is a dangerous person.

Neutral-
All players including companies and players with a claim flag in this territory can be attacked by anyone else. Housing will still be unable to be attacked by players/companies with claim flags in this territory without first declaring a siege. Players will still recieve a player murder count for killing players in this territory.

Chaotic-
All players entering this area are automatically "flagged criminal/grey" and there are no penalties for killing other people in this area. Additionally, players owning claim flags in this territory can freely attack their neighbors structures at will. (but you still need to siege the territory in order to take it). 

Murder System:
When attacking other players in the lawful or neutral zones, you should recieve a kill count. Anyone who deals damage to this player within 5 minutes of the player being killed should be given a kill count (the player who dies should be given the choice to or not to give a murder count, to avoid friendly duel murder counts, or accident friendly fire kill counts). 

When a player recieved 5 kill counts, they become "infamous/murderer/criminal" whatever you want to call it. Kill counts can max out at 20, and it takes 24 hours without killing another person for one of these kill counts to fall off. If a player is considered a murderer, they will not be able to enter free ports as a penalty, and can be attacked by any other players at any time without penalty.

If you attack another player you should be "flagged" as a grey/criminal for x amount of time (maybe 15 minutes from the most recent damage to a blue player). Anyone else should be able to attack you friendly during this time.

Edited by phaedread
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't really mention the benefits here, but really the idea is to create a unity among those sharing an island, give a penalty to randomly killing noobs, and a penalty for those who chose the pirate life (risk vs reward). 

I think it would create more actual communities, and less confrontations among those sharing an island. It would also provide actual incentive to share your island with others and reduce the threat levels from mega companies just randomly raiding you all the time on their islands. It would also incentives people living on the island to help defend it during sieges.

Could be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, really good post btw

I was thing about your claim system and everything else, then I drawned it:

bU0x1EK.png

I was thinking, for a company conquest the territory claim, that company needs to win every single siege from each company at this territory.

Edited by MRT
  • Like 3

Not a bad idea, i'm not sure how much for difficult that would make it, but still a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

I agree with you, the system needs to be change!

I put some other ideas in this topic:

• Like 1

Agreed, this system needs to change. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to build any ship other than the raft, cause we can't even place a foundation on the claimed zone. And there's lots of companies that just go and claim the land for the sake of claiming, not using it in any way. So there should be a limit of how much you can claim, and there should be some sort of room for solo players to at least build their shipyard.

Imo this can be solves just puting some "Public Foundation" on "Village Safe Zones".

Those public Foundations you can construct Rafts and Schooners!

ODh96bw.png

"Oh why not public foundations at Freeports?"

In Freeports you are limited to lv 8 and can construct only Rafts!

Those safe zones is necessary to help solo/duo players and small groups to keep upgrading in the game. With those safe zone their life still hard cause in those islands there's company base, but helps a lot.

Edited by MRT

I'd be fine with schooners being craft able at a public doc n a freeport. This is supposed to be more MMO ish, and giving players access to more in certain scenarios can help longevity. 

It might also be worth adding more benefit to the freeports. Those few "personal claim flags" could be made available on the free port islands. Maybe like 10-20 on each one, where a shop can be opened to sell items through a personal vendor, or maybe a company vendor so anyone in the company could sell items through the vendor. This would also add a need/want to go back to Freeport and that penalty you need to punish murderers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, phaedread said:

I'd be fine with schooners being craft able at a public doc n a freeport. This is supposed to be more MMO ish, and giving players access to more in certain scenarios can help longevity. 

It might also be worth adding more benefit to the freeports. Those few "personal claim flags" could be made available on the free port islands. Maybe like 10-20 on each one, where a shop can be opened to sell items through a personal vendor, or maybe a company vendor so anyone in the company could sell items through the vendor. This would also add a need/want to go back to Freeport and that penalty you need to punish murderers.

A new player should sail in a raft, to grasp how he needs to sail.

Anything above a raft is just easy mode..

Maybe they can add something in the future when there are far more ships.

But now? far to early in my opinion.

I like the claim system idea for sure. It would be a nice change to the system and make it mean something as you progress. 

I made a topic about more benefits on the freeports, a system that can help solo players to make gold and improve the economic eco-system for freeports, look that:

i really like this idea. it first of all would fix the issue with the claims everywhere, but would also give the large companys something to use their many resources and endgame stuff on (for example if the want to expant the territory they own) while the smaller companys can enjoy the game in peace with out fearing to get destroyed by an armada of galleons from a large company.

• Like 1

It's a good idea, but on PvE there could be some drawbacks. My original post in another thread wasn't that detailed. 

One main issue is, that claims are put on players. So a company with a couple of players may claim a way larger portion of an island than single or fewer players. So, why not restrict the claim to Companies? It would be reduced the claimed land size dramatically. Of cause, the max claim size per company needs to be reduced, too. Naturally a larger company's would have a larger claim than a smaller one, but it would be only ONE claim. At least for now.

Claiming further land should be an high cost exploration skill. Actually any claim should be a Skill.