Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
owo

Sea travels....boring

Recommended Posts

Hi and sorry for my english i'l try to do my best.

I play on EU PvE, actually we spend the most of our time on the sea and the sea is really boring.

We spend many hours on our ship with nothing to do. 
Please wilcard try to do something, i do know how (minigame, quest,  craft etc...).
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, owo said:

Hi and sorry for my english i'l try to do my best.

I play on EU PvE, actually we spend the most of our time on the sea and the sea is really boring.

We spend many hours on our ship with nothing to do. 
Please wilcard try to do something, i do know how (minigame, quest,  craft etc...).
 

Yeah I won’t be spending too much time at sea except for the first week where I will be getting all of the. Discovery points. Once I have leveled i will be concentrating on base building and breeding 

edit. I want a lot of tames, especially the giant crabs for hauling 

Edited by Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sea travel's not boring for me as I feel i constantly need to keep any eye out for SoD's. I play solo though, so I have no-one else to help keep watch. Not always fun travel, but keeps me from getting bored on long distances.

Too many times have I looked away for a few seconds to find 3 or 4 ships appear in front!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on long trips i pop out my tablet and do stuff 🙂 doesnt really bother me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Remo said:

on long trips i pop out my tablet and do stuff 🙂 doesnt really bother me lol

That kind of proves it’s boring though lol. If I have to do something else instead of playing the game then that speaks volumes. That is also why I won’t be spending that much time at sea. 

I plan on having fun on land and not needing something else to keep me from getting bored 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my second monitor to watch movies, it is boring on long trips but I try to stop on many islands to get discoveries maps or resources, but it does feel like a large part of the game I spend at sea, as there isn't much to do once you have a well established place of residence or island of your own. I like the fact that you're almost forced to explore either for discoveries or resources, I too wish there was more to do on the ship,  maybe mini games to slightly increase ship responsiveness, or speed. Maybe cleaning barnacles off the hull could increase speed slightly, maybe hang over with a grapple and have a mini game,  or swabbing the deck could increase morale and reduce vitamin depletion slightly.  Making the grapple more responsive or easier to hit the flotsam at full speed or even any rate would be good fun as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is taking too long yes.

Consider something like "hyperspace" or "fast time" and "interruptions" as an alternative method of traveling to KNOWN areas.

Option to just sail and watch the waves should stay for exploring unknown AND as option to hardcore lovers of long and boring sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already have fast travel, fast travel with your ship, and it's contents defeats a lot of the reason the sailing exists.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

We already have fast travel, fast travel with your ship, and it's contents defeats a lot of the reason the sailing exists.

Not really, let me explain.

You still would need to sail, to undiscovered places. And to local islands, as fast travel should serve for cross sector travels only.

When you discover a place you have the option to accelerate your sail speed.

During accelerated travel you can still be interrupted if you meet other travellers or monsters or npcs or storms, and speed of that travel is impacted by wind. If you run far enough from encounter, you regain fast travel option. Accelerated travel is chosen from atlas map when the initiating player is on ship (and might be behind a simply acquired captaineering skill).

Now, here I see potential perk rework for piracy, like extended encounter range etc.

When you arrive, your fast travel stops near the place , depending on vector you were starting from.

You wouldnt need to use it if you like 10 hour sailing old fashion way - you could still sail.

The only backside to this i see is in pvp as the potential to zerg would be with no limits, and with time concept in game as a whole.

 

Edited by gnihar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

We already have fast travel, fast travel with your ship, and it's contents defeats a lot of the reason the sailing exists.

Yet you use a second monitor to watch movies while sailing? Then what is the point of not having fast travel.

when I am gaming I usually game, not watch movies.

fast travel definitely needs to be a thing. Not just beds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Realist said:

Yet you use a second monitor to watch movies while sailing? Then what is the point of not having fast travel.

when I am gaming I usually game, not watch movies.

fast travel definitely needs to be a thing. Not just beds 

On long trips i sure do, but i also proposed ideas to make it less dull instead of just "fast traveling" everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is, the nature of sailing itself. I tend to find it enjoyable at points personally but I can see where it can get exhausting. For the most part it is not very engaging, you should be vigilant, as a SOTD could pop up over the horizon and ruin your day, but for the most part it is, hey look an island, hey look a wreck, hey we need to avoid the sotd. It can get monotonous rather quickly, especially on long trips.

Because of the theme of the game, wind is a key mechanic that we can't just do away with, but when you need to sail far to the north and all you have is a weak  south bound wind, sailing becomes miserable, especially as you navigate numerous fleets of the damned. Makes it more engaging, but it isn't that fun as you'll be sunk should you engage and you often really don't want to turn back and sail for 30 min to the closest island to wait it out. Sailing will always have its tedious moments, but there are ways it can be improved. I think more frequent ship battles would help a lot(but in their current state they are pretty expensive, not the most accessible thing and at times risky for smaller groups), or a passive speed multiplier as you go without engaging or coming within proximity of an island or ship of the damned.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gnihar said:

Not really, let me explain.

You still would need to sail, to undiscovered places. And to local islands, as fast travel should serve for cross sector travels only.

When you discover a place you have the option to accelerate your sail speed.

During accelerated travel you can still be interrupted if you meet other travellers or monsters or npcs or storms, and speed of that travel is impacted by wind. If you run far enough from encounter, you regain fast travel option. Accelerated travel is chosen from atlas map when the initiating player is on ship (and might be behind a simply acquired captaineering skill).

Now, here I see potential perk rework for piracy, like extended encounter range etc.

When you arrive, your fast travel stops near the place , depending on vector you were starting from.

You wouldnt need to use it if you like 10 hour sailing old fashion way - you could still sail.

The only backside to this i see is in pvp as the potential to zerg would be with no limits, and with time concept in game as a whole.

 

Actually, fast travel can happen in real server time, no problem, it is just a very fast automatic sailing to personally discovered places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons I switched from pve to pvp was sea boredom. I also thought mini games on board ship was a good idea. 

On pvp it can be anything but boring sailing halfway across the map with 8000 in gold and mythical blueprints secured from a treasure map this weekend was anything but boring constantly on the look out for ships player and ai with a valuable cargo was nerve wracking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

One of the reasons I switched from pve to pvp was sea boredom. I also thought mini games on board ship was a good idea. 

On pvp it can be anything but boring sailing halfway across the map with 8000 in gold and mythical blueprints secured from a treasure map this weekend was anything but boring constantly on the look out for ships player and ai with a valuable cargo was nerve wracking. 

Did you come across anyone trying to attack you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose a route which would keep me as much out of harms way as possible I saw some player ships mostly galleons travelling in the opposite direction and I didnt stop for a chat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Remo said:

on long trips i pop out my tablet and do stuff 🙂 doesnt really bother me lol

where do i craft this magic tablet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

25 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You can craft them here!

PC-World_27867xx_3504870b.jpg

coords plz

Edited by photek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Realist said:

That kind of proves it’s boring though lol. If I have to do something else instead of playing the game then that speaks volumes. That is also why I won’t be spending that much time at sea. 

I plan on having fun on land and not needing something else to keep me from getting bored 

I don't get you, you have 1600 post waiting for a console release to do the same crap you can do already in ark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swimming is really boring, especially for long distances.
I just take a galleon (its skin is 2 times stronger),  in corner of the map I align with X or Y coordinates and leave to watch a movie.
SoD do not swim so close to the end of the map, and even if they swim, a few volleys are a scratch for the galleon.

That's what not enoght in the game, its: autopilot 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, znasser said:

I don't get you, you have 1600 post waiting for a console release to do the same crap you can do already in ark?

Yes. Haven’t heard that one in awhile. My buddies are buying and we all game together so yes, I am going to buy it.

hopefully by the time it comes to console there will be more fast travel options or one of my buddies will quickly become the designated captain for at least the sailing portion of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yes. Haven’t heard that one in awhile. My buddies are buying and we all game together so yes, I am going to buy it.

hopefully by the time it comes to console there will be more fast travel options or one of my buddies will quickly become the designated captain for at least the sailing portion of the game.

Serious suggestion: You should post an explanation of why you are posting but don't yet own the game in your about me section of your profile, then when the issue comes up you can just say read my profile instead of having to go through it again every time. Alternativly you could just go all curmudgeon and tell people to mind their own @#$%ing business.

 

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its boring because the devs make stupid design descisions and the game is dead.

If their was a decent population trust me it wouldn't be boring. At least on pvp. 

On pve ….ya. I mean whats the point? Might as well just make an autospawn button for the shit you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Back Stabbath said:

its boring because the devs make stupid design descisions and the game is dead.

If their was a decent population trust me it wouldn't be boring. At least on pvp. 

On pve ….ya. I mean whats the point? Might as well just make an autospawn button for the shit you want.

Not only the time spent, but the amount of articulation in providing a much needed solution to this situation should be commended...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×