Sign in to follow this  
owo

Sea travels....boring

Just sail between them.. when it happens in fog tho.. hell yeh that's fun, cannon balls raining in from all directions and you can't see a damn thing.

Or when you collide with a galleon, get pinned by a brig and end up facing into the wind.. panic mode kicks in, you sit staring silently at the screen for a few seconds, just trying to comprehend your bad luck, envisioning all the work you'll need to do to build a new galleon.. and you scrap through, with your mastercraft planks all 200/18000 leaking like sieves.

And people complain that sailing isn't fun.. yeh right.  It's fun.. it's awesome.  But it can be slow sometimes.

Edited by Martyn
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HudsonHawk said:

I'm the same! Totally agree...Usually it's coming out of a Shimmer and...BAM! 5 SOD's in front with no where to go....

Yeah, fog and cold fronts are horrible too, they can just appear, although not happened to me yet but I half expect them too.

I did make a journey across 2 grids yesterday where I went along the grid edge and found that no SoD's appeared. There was one point on my way to the grid edge that I saw a few, but going along the edge none appeared. I assume that's because they are designed not to spawn right along the edge as that's pretty bad if you cross the border right into them. But I also found that going along the grid edge means you only have to pay attention to one side when watching out for SoD's.

It made my journey somewhat less nail biting!

• Haha 1

And ALL the farming you did for 2 days is gone!@!!!!!!!! OLD Wood....Basalt.....Syrup!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

2 hours ago, ErfHUN said:

Like the idea, but I think there are serious problems that would have to be overcome.  Mostly due to the increased speed.  Like, what happens with SotD?  Do they get swept along by these jet streams?  Now consider that even in the clear weather, if you are moving relatively fast, you have to keep an eye out for the SotD.  When using my faster ships, and having a good wind, I sometimes barely miss the SotD.  Now, imagine what happens when the SotD are sitting in the Jet Stream, and you run right into one.  Or, the SotD get swept along by the jet streams, causing other problems.  Then add in problems with ship combat in the proximity of those jet streams.

Well you could make it so that the SotD do not get aggroed by the ships inside the stream. Plus again if you are travelling SotD are nothing but nuisance and people always try to avoid them. So if they don't aggro, not really much happens, but will make our lives easier, as we wouldn't have to take a 10 mile detour. Same with weather, it would not "de-rail" you, but could damage your ship a little, but you should have repair stuff anyways.

7 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Fast travel is never going to happen.  Stop wasting time on trying to make it work in your mind.  It doesn't work...at all. 

- i explained pretty much in detail how it would work

First, it totally destroys the concept of sailing ships.  Might as well just do away with the sails, and put engines on the ships.  No...just no. 

- it would just cut the time to sail from point a to b without boring afking for hours or having to play ozher games and watch other things while playing atlas, making sailing a chore; peopel do not need boring floatsams or fighting with boring green sotd all the time, and want to utilise their limited time on more object focused things: collecting rare materials, tradingwith allies etc,without wasting hour or two to just get there

- ships and sails would not get destroyed by thsi concept: as i explained, proposal is to activate x3 speed autopilot from already discovered place a to already discovered place b, with modifiers concerning wind, sails weight in place

It would totally destroy ship battles.  The visual range of objects in the game is too short...faster ships would only exacerbate that problem. 

- if a fast traveling ship encounter within a *certain* range a non allied ship, travel stops and returns to normal speed till situation is resolved and enough distance acquired

And, what about SotD?  You planning on them being faster?  Ships, unless really overloaded, or going into the wind, are already faster than SotD.  You simply aren't thinking this through.

- same, slows down to normal until you run out of range or destroy them

Solutions that might work...

• Reduce the speed penalty for weight.  With the new cargo containers, this does not need to be a drastic change, but reducing the penalty by about 15-25% would help.
  • Slowing the wind cycle, allowing you to get all the way to your destination without having to sail into the wind.  No trip should be more than 7 Grids, one way.  If you can travel that far without the wind ending up in your face, it would make traveling longer distance a more reasonable proposition.  The speed with which the wind changes direction also seems to guarantee that you must sail into the wind on any longer distance travel.  Slow the rotation to half what it is now, and people can plan more appropriate courses to deal with the wind.
  •  
  • Reducing the time where the wind is minimal, and increasing the time where the wind is more powerful, would help.
  • Allow us to have high quality treasure maps that are not 7 grids away.

I don't think any of these changes need to be drastic, but together, they would help a lot. 

I would be gratedul for ANY acceleration yes.

But with fast travel, no streams, no place you need to GO to activate it. It would only promote griefing and zerging. Should be activated from atlas map while on steering wheel.

No damn fast travel for ships! OMG

Sailing is arduous. It is supposed to be. 
Get friends to be on board with you. Get a diving platform to dive wrecks, fight sotd. Discover islands, 

I just cant stand shit-wind when I have to be someplace in a hurry.

• Like 1

Amazingly, it also takes time, without a flier, to get anywhere on an ARK map.  That is something I don't think a lot of you are taking into consideration.  The difference here, of course, is that you didn't have as many reasons to actually travel long distances in ARK.  But just try to travel from the lake in the green zone, to the deeper areas of the red zone, and back.  It takes a while to do it.

I think some of you should just find a game that isn't about sailing ships.  Sailing ships were not fast.  It's why we no longer use them.

The wind system is fine, the phase of little wind is way shorter then the better wind allready. If u know the wind system and whats your ship is capable of, u can be at any point of the map in about 90 min. It just dont work like this with any amount of cargo. For transporting huge amounts of load, u may want to interrupt your travel at some points.

Fast sailing is about logistics. The longer route can be way faster!

4 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Amazingly, it also takes time, without a flier, to get anywhere on an ARK map.  That is something I don't think a lot of you are taking into consideration.  The difference here, of course, is that you didn't have as many reasons to actually travel long distances in ARK.  But just try to travel from the lake in the green zone, to the deeper areas of the red zone, and back.  It takes a while to do it.

I think some of you should just find a game that isn't about sailing ships.  Sailing ships were not fast.  It's why we no longer use them.

...for commercial transport. Surely the world’s yacht clubs have not completely escaped your notice. 😏

But your point is otherwise completely valid and something Ark veterans should consider. Go do laps on Ragnarok or Crystal Isles with a motorboat and see how long it takes. The difference is in Atlas you have reason to need to make those trips, in Ark you did not. The only time I ever needed to move large quantities of anything heavy over significant distances was obsidian, and that was always done using a quetz.

Edited by boomervoncannon

3 hours ago, Kummba said:

The longer route can be way faster!

So true, sometimes you log in, need to go west, but, you got an East wind that's going to make it hell...   I tend to go with it, go east, and cross the edge of the map... much quicker 🙂    I'm sure some people still sit in column N, thinking they need a good westerly wind to take them to column D...   but forget they can take the easterly and be in D way quicker.

Did that to a friend, one minute I was in O9, and 5 minutes later was in A8...  he's like OMG how did you cross the map that quickly...  I told him I hacked the game, he believed me, said we'd get banned...   I laughed, and said, the world is round my friend ...  left it like that for him to ponder.

9 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

And he wins again! 👍

As stated in a earlier post if you are going to complain about sailing in a sailing game perhaps it’s time to move on!

everyone should look up Tacking techniques on the google. Tacking small when the wind is directly forward is fast but when the wind is slightly to one side or the other tacking large with the direction of the opposing wind is way faster. Think way wider zigzags. Have fun and get creative with it once you understand how it works you start to feel like the old man and the sea in no time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

...for commercial transport. Surely the world’s yacht clubs have not completely escaped your notice. 😏

But your point is otherwise completely valid and something Ark veterans should consider. Go do laps on Ragnarok or Crystal Isles with a motorboat and see how long it takes. The difference is in Atlas you have reason to need to make those trips, in Ark you did not. The only time I ever needed to move large quantities of anything heavy over significant distances was obsidian, and that was always done using a quetz.

Yeah, I was referring to commercial uses, where quantity carried, and time to do so, are the key.  Sailing yacht clubs are about leisure and recreation.  In that case, the slower place can actually be desirable.  For many, it's about the ability to do something that appears to be very complicated, and is of course, more complicated than sailing a motorboat.

15 hours ago, engraverwilliam said:

everyone should look up Tacking techniques on the google. Tacking small when the wind is directly forward is fast but when the wind is slightly to one side or the other tacking large with the direction of the opposing wind is way faster. Think way wider zigzags. Have fun and get creative with it once you understand how it works you start to feel like the old man and the sea in no time.

If you need to track, you allready did it wrong! For hauling that is. For PVP etc you still might need to track.

Also for this game with its simple wind mechanics, you track with known future wind change in mind (i you have to).

This is quite a difficult issue , the simplest fix would be buffing speed of all ship and resize the ocean , right now ship travel slow on a big ocean ...