Sign in to follow this  
owo

Sea travels....boring

37 minutes ago, advengerkos said:

Yes let me just get off my boat in the middle of the grid or just abandon being on the sea in a SEA GAME.

If you mean stop sailing at 1.2 mph and visit an island...YES!

If you mean just jump off the boat and drown....YES!

Why this thread has four pages of you being ignorant is beyond me.

I can imagine that Megas make the game as boring as the long sail times

9 hours ago, advengerkos said:

Its hilarious. Some people on Atlas enjoy the most stupid things. This is a PVP sailing game. Yet everyones quit it because there is no sailing as it is so dam slow. 

Here is a pic of my experience right now. My evening is 1 hour now going 1 grid ....yay fun. There is just no need for it.

image.png

i guess u have galleon with  wrong sails and its so heavy that only moves like snail on wet stick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexaron said:

i guess u have galleon with  wrong sails and its so heavy that only moves like snail on wet stick

The ship diagram is that of a brigantine, and it also shows the weight at just above 50%

12 hours ago, trqfreak350 said:

So effectively it wouldn't be used in pvp because groups of megas could just farm people in that slipstream which still not a fan of the idea. 

That is why I propose there is no particular spot on map to start/end fast travel.

I propose it starts as soon as captain starts driving the ship and leaves island zone, by pressing the atlas map and choosing the DISCOVERED island on map.

Standard modifier 3x. Slows down by 0.x for slower wind and speeds up by 0.x modifier if favorable wind in direction you are traveling.

Stops and returns to normal if:

- other non allied ship nearby

-SotD nearby

-storms nearby

-monsters nearby

And only possible if your destination is outside of local server.

Edited by gnihar

26 minutes ago, Kidori said:

The ship diagram is that of a brigantine, and it also shows the weight at just above 50%

Good job Sherlock 🙂 

less than 10 minutes is one grid  with briga normally so he is doing something totally wrong

1 minute ago, Hexaron said:

Good job Sherlock 🙂 

less than 10 minutes is one grid  with briga normally so he is doing something totally wrong

Yes its cca 10 minutes if winds are ok.

That means almost an hour for 5 grids, which is still way too long, even on max normal speed. Provided the wind is perfect which it is not more often than not.

Edited by gnihar

2 minutes ago, gnihar said:

That means almost an hour for 5 grids, which is still way too long, even on max normal speed. Provided the wind is perfect which it is not more often than not.

Yeah since the maps are 15x15 is shouldn’t take more than an hour to sail the whole 15 grid stretch

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Yeah since the maps are 15x15 is shouldn’t take more than an hour to sail the whole 15 grid stretch

Takes cca 10 minutes to sail thru 1 grid.

for 15 grids, if you sail N to S, it would take you 2.5 hours in ideal world, but in actual game it will take you 5 hours.

Too slow. Way too slow.

8 minutes ago, gnihar said:

Takes cca 10 minutes to sail thru 1 grid.

for 15 grids, if you sail N to S, it would take you 2.5 hours in ideal world, but in actual game it will take you 5 hours.

Too slow. Way too slow.

Ouch. Yeah that is way too slow. 

I guaruntee I will never meet the people on the other side of the map lol. Well unless I am sailing by really quick for a discovery point. I have already decided to sacrifice my whole first week doing only discovery points(I get tunnel vision so it won’t be hard).

but yeah, I won’t be going out that far ever again 

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ouch. Yeah that is way too slow. 

I guaruntee I will never meet the people on the other side of the map lol. Well unless I am sailing by really quick for a discovery point. I have already decided to sacrifice my whole first week doing only discovery points(I get tunnel vision so it won’t be hard).

but yeah, I won’t be going out that far ever again 

sacrificed myself and made a bunch of beds for my mates to get easy dp. But it was hell. Best option is to fake joining zerg, use their beds, and leave zerg.

Edited by gnihar
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gnihar said:

sacrificed myself and made a bunch of beds for my mates to get easy dp. But it was hell. Best option is to fake joining zerg, use their beds, and leave zerg.

Cool, I will definitely consider that. I know one of the Megas that I was with in ark will he shifting over and they won’t have a problem with me using their beds.

going to stay small/medium with this game and just enjoy it. Tired of all the political bs that Megas have.

3 hours ago, gnihar said:

No  i meant normal wind.! with good wind  its  only 5 minutes  don't believe if you don't want lol.. 

But really. What u want ? that ship is sailing like UFO 1 minute is 1 grid lol. if you guys don't like hows sailing  then stay at land..

Only thing in this game i really like is sailing its really well made here and i love that. 

To travel faster u need large speed sails  forget others..

For some reason this thread makes me think of an epic George Carlin riff where he explains why everything that isn’t football, baseball or basketball isn’t really a sport.

”Sailing isn’t a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere. Riding the bus isn’t a sport, why the @#$& should sailing be a sport?”

To be honest 🙂 sailing for me is pleasure  and freedom  i take my bear lion and wolf  and fun begining   looting boxes with hook  diving to look lost treasure and fighting for treasures  ^^ so much fun   cause that  kind forum post i start count how much time takes  travelling hahahah and here im ^^

Edited by Hexaron

15 hours ago, Hexaron said:

Yes clearly I need to learn to sail... 

The pic was of me in a power stone grid hunting SOTD that do not exist it seems. 1hour 40mins for 5 ships. The boat was relatively heavy as I wanted a decent amount of ammo to shoot (500+)

I do not understand why people are defending such a slow system. Its not about making speed boats it about looking at it and upgrading it (you can do it by fixing sails for a start!!!!). So far they have buffed everything in this game and yet I have not seen any buffs yet to the sailing systems. 

I will say it again. This is a PVP sailing game where no one is on the dam seas. I wonder why. https://atlas.hgn.hu/grid/na/pvp We had 40+ people playing in my clan now we have 5 and only I am willing to do the 5-8 grid sails necessary because people hate the feature.

I understand you guys are a few of the tiny population who like it but clearly something is wrong when everyone is just on islands all day.

1 hour ago, advengerkos said:

I understand you guys are a few of the tiny population who like it but clearly something is wrong when everyone is just on islands all day.

Apparently not cuz the OP was on the water :anchor:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Realist said:

You sail 7,5 grids in 1 hour with a really fast ship and good wind (and you know in advanced when the good wind will happen.). 15 grids is a 360, so no need!

10 hours ago, advengerkos said:

I will say it again. This is a PVP sailing game where no one is on the dam seas.

Wrong, this is a colonie game which require a bit of sailing!

-- Sailing tips:

In general if you dont put effort in your logistics it takes double to tripple the time.
Straight N to S and vice versa sucks, and has to be avoided while setting up the empire, traderoutes etc.

O to A and vice versa kinda sucks, the wind jumps to much, more brainwork required.

Only one person needed when sailing, can have other as backup tho.
Put pilot for steering and fish for floatsomes, or tab out.

Dont avoid all SotD, when low level go through them, ram them, just get back on course afterwards.

NEVER sail without sextant buff.

• Like 2

I once had a galleon with 5 sails, 2 handling, 2 weight 1 speed.  Weighed down to about 1500 off max weight.

And it was SLOW.  Sotd schooners were running rings around me.   They also seem to spawn more often, near slower ships.. After 2-3 fights I lost a plank and discovered..

My replacement planks were all mediums..

Now I don't sail at max weight.. and I use 6 sails, 4 speed 2 handling on my battle gally and 3 weight 2 speed and 1 handling on my trade gally, which carries 10 cannon on the rear.   For those lv 30 schooners that like to chase me forever.. and they will, if you're overburdened and cannonless.. they will follow you through regions, for ev er. 

Fun fun fun!! 😉  I love sailing in Atlas.  But I have to admit.. slack wind is a killer.. esp on overweight ship.  Should they change it?? Hell no.  Slack wind is part of sailing.. deal with it.

Took me about 4 hours to strip my galleon down and turn it into planks.  That was some slow diving.. off the Iron Islands chain.

Edited by Martyn

10 hours ago, Kummba said:

NEVER sail without sextant buff.

Esp near islands with wide shallow areas.. it's also great for fog, cold fronts and rain storms.

Fast travel is never going to happen.  Stop wasting time on trying to make it work in your mind.  It doesn't work...at all.  First, it totally destroys the concept of sailing ships.  Might as well just do away with the sails, and put engines on the ships.  No...just no.  It would totally destroy ship battles.  The visual range of objects in the game is too short...faster ships would only exacerbate that problem.  And, what about SotD?  You planning on them being faster?  Ships, unless really overloaded, or going into the wind, are already faster than SotD.  You simply aren't thinking this through.

Solutions that might work...

• Reduce the speed penalty for weight.  With the new cargo containers, this does not need to be a drastic change, but reducing the penalty by about 15-25% would help.
  • Slowing the wind cycle, allowing you to get all the way to your destination without having to sail into the wind.  No trip should be more than 7 Grids, one way.  If you can travel that far without the wind ending up in your face, it would make traveling longer distance a more reasonable proposition.  The speed with which the wind changes direction also seems to guarantee that you must sail into the wind on any longer distance travel.  Slow the rotation to half what it is now, and people can plan more appropriate courses to deal with the wind.
  • AtlasMap.JPG
  • Reducing the time where the wind is minimal, and increasing the time where the wind is more powerful, would help.
  • Allow us to have high quality treasure maps that are not 7 grids away.

I don't think any of these changes need to be drastic, but together, they would help a lot. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, boomervoncannon said:

For some reason this thread makes me think of an epic George Carlin riff where he explains why everything that isn’t football, baseball or basketball isn’t really a sport.

”Sailing isn’t a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere. Riding the bus isn’t a sport, why the @#$& should sailing be a sport?”

Sailing is a sport if you aren't going somewhere for a reason.

It can also be fun, if you're just going fishing for example or to a remote island.. to get away.

Riding a bus.. can also be fun.  Depending which seat you sit in.

One of the things that gets me about galleons.. is they're just big empty vehicles.. even my battleship gally, has 2 entirely empty decks on the bottom.  Instead of adding things dangling over the sides.. why not add rooms or storage inside those empty decks to make them useful in some way.  The icebox for example or ice storage containers should be something you can put onto a deck that takes up some space, make the ship look like it's something not just a means to get from a to b.  A big empty hull with nothing in it.  But 6 masts, a wheel and a ship chest.

Edited by Martyn

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

Sailing is a sport if you aren't going somewhere for a reason.

It can also be fun, if you're just going fishing for example or to a remote island.. to get away.

Riding a bus.. can also be fun.  Depending which seat you sit in.

Yes but you can’t keep score in either.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Sea travel's not boring for me as I feel i constantly need to keep any eye out for SoD's. I play solo though, so I have no-one else to help keep watch. Not always fun travel, but keeps me from getting bored on long distances.

Too many times have I looked away for a few seconds to find 3 or 4 ships appear in front!

I'm the same! Totally agree...Usually it's coming out of a Shimmer and...BAM! 5 SOD's in front with no where to go....