Sign in to follow this  
owo

Sea travels....boring

the line breaks on the ship when trying to fish, the net may help and do something for passengers, but that's it, and as said earlier fast traveling back and forth because it's "boring" isn't really engaging gameplay, with more mini games to keep up things on the ship like i've said in previous posts could make it more engaging and fun for passengers.

Just because some people find it boring, isn't a reason to change it.

Personally, I find it calming and relaxing.  There's an element of danger from cyclones and damned, esp if you go below decks, I nearly always spawn them then, almost instantly.  You can also dive for wrecks every so often, pick up flotsam as well, as drop off at nearby islands and talk to people.

So if you're finding it boring.. I think you're the problem..

Not the game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Personally, I find it calming and relaxing.  There's an element of danger from cyclones and damned, esp if you go below decks, I nearly always spawn them then, almost instantly.  You can also dive for wrecks every so often, pick up flotsam as well, as drop off at nearby islands and talk to people.

Not the game.

I like you martyn. I really do. But you said calming and relaxing and the immediately went to a sense of danger which are not a good mix.

when o was playing sea of thieves “mind you, I was almost always drinking” I made sure there was never anything calming about it. Once things started getting boring “yes, even on the short voyages” I would make sure to spice things up very quickly.

sure sometimes it was trolling my crew or being overly aggressive to passer by’s But one thing was for sure, some shit was going to do down.

I really am not concerned with sailing being boring because I can liven up real quick as I am tossing our treasure over board.

what I am concerned about it efficiency. If I am on a time schedule, I will not stand for some shotty 1 hour voyage so I can finish a project. That will be unacceptable. Anything more than a 30 minute travel time is stupid. 

Mid I want to go mess around with my buddies, we can easily turn a lake into a 5 hour voyage.

these devs don’t need to be messing with my timeline though. I can very easily see that the travel distances will piss me off very quickly.

yes, to those that cry about me not playing the game yet... expect faster travel times in the future.

4 hours ago, Martyn said:

Not the game.

Just because some find it boring doesn't make them a problem, it means there is a fundamental lack of engagement in the process. We're building many mythical items, planks cannons etc, so we need a lot of resources from other zones, I set a course to a zone near the gridlines so I can avoid land mass and use an npc to autopilot in case I hit an npc ship and go, there isn't anything to keep me hooked there, I love this game and want to be engaged, diving for wrecks wastes the time I have to get the actual valuable resources I'm heading to get, stopping to talk to people on islands if not for trade also wastes the time I have to get those resources. So those aren't really good alternatives to how the sailing experience is, because both of those aren't sailing they are parked at an island or off the ship underwater for a small bit of gold that gets boring after. 2-300 dives. 

I'll reiterate, minigames that actualy engage people in actively sailing, manning the sails for a short speed boost minigame, maybe using while commands for a minigame to tell the crew what to do, using the grapple to scrape clean barnacles from the hull could give a handling boost. 

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

Not the game.

We are not about taking away some peoples pleasure to spend 15 hrs sailing slowly and enjoying the sea.

What i proposed is a choice: x3 accelerated sailing with interrupts, and , if you so wish, normal 3 hour sailing.

There is nothing wrong with the ability to choose.

3 hours ago, gnihar said:

We are not about taking away some peoples pleasure to spend 15 hrs sailing slowly and enjoying the sea.

What i proposed is a choice: x3 accelerated sailing with interrupts, and , if you so wish, normal 3 hour sailing.

There is nothing wrong with the ability to choose.

Yes there is.  Giving people choice is a bad idea, people need to be directed and ruled with an iron fist.

They can't live without it.

Besides it simply cannot work.

The ingame weather system is there to cause timesinks, in hp loss, wind loss, storms.. etc How do you suggest that works with accelerated time?

Or Sotd attacks? Do they accelerate as well?

You really need to think before you type.

As for minigames.. could work I suppose, but given the distance between islands and regions is almost non existant.. I don't see the complaint as real or even slightly accurate.  If you get so bored, so easily, you're probably playing the wrong game.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

Yes there is.  Giving people choice is a bad idea, people need to be directed and ruled with an iron fist.

They can't live without it.

Besides it simply cannot work. - it can, with some coding

The ingame weather system is there to cause timesinks, in hp loss, wind loss, storms.. etc How do you suggest that works with accelerated time?

- the travel speed can be affected by wind, better wind:more speed, worse wind, less speed

Or Sotd attacks? Do they accelerate as well?

- when a travel vector hits a natural disaster , SotD, another player or monster, the ship decelerates to normal speed until it is out of range of said object or a crisis has been resolved; at that point, it resumes x3 speed

You really need to think before you type.

- i did, and i sincerely believe this could work, if there are any good coders left at grapeshot, the QoL change like this could impact and would impact playerbase greatly and positively, adding numbers quickly

As for minigames.. could work I suppose, but given the distance between islands and regions is almost non existant.. I don't see the complaint as real or even slightly accurate.  If you get so bored, so easily, you're probably playing the wrong game.

And to add to that - x3 travel only viable to already visited island. Undiscovered islands by a ships captain still would need to be traveled to by normal speed.

Edited by gnihar

Add currents or something that can show up on the map and change periodically. 

This allows faster travel and also allows added risk as it shows potential pirates where to look.

Risk vs reward.

Just an example of actually thinking outside the box. Rather than :

" make the world smaller"

"Make everyone faster" 

Stupid suggestions that break the game.

Remember the end game is to actually have more people on the seas. When there are more people there is more conflict and less boredom.

And no. I'm not talking about pve. PVE  do whatever,  make everyone super speed. It's all pointless anyways.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

Add currents or something that can show up on the map and change periodically. 

This allows faster travel and also allows added risk as it shows potential pirates where to look.

Risk vs reward.

Just an example of actually thinking outside the box. Rather than :

" make the world smaller"

"Make everyone faster" 

Stupid suggestions that break the game.

Remember the end game is to actually have more people on the seas. When there are more people there is more conflict and less boredom.

And no. I'm not talking about pve. PVE  do whatever,  make everyone super speed. It's all pointless anyways.

We need something more reliable to increase speed of sea travel. Something that is available right this moment when you start driving your ship. Not something that you have to travel to at normal speed. Something that would work with bonus if winds are perfect and with malus if they are wrong.

Edited by gnihar

On 5/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, gnihar said:

It is taking too long yes.

Consider something like "hyperspace" or "fast time" and "interruptions" as an alternative method of traveling to KNOWN areas.

Option to just sail and watch the waves should stay for exploring unknown AND as option to hardcore lovers of long and boring sailing.

Hellll no!

Fast travel is a cancer. Its already fucked that we have beds to teleport around the map.  Actually, the fucked part is that anyone in company can use a bed I place, and I have no restriction on how many I can place. The only slightly fair part about it is that you travel naked.

It is 100% a bad idea to give any more power to the megas than what they are already afforded.

It should be near impossible to own and defend multiple islands. However its cake walk as long as you got beds in a hidden shack next to gear boxes. You dont even need to be near the grid and you can still magically appear and put on gear and defend. 

1 minute ago, Chucksteak said:

Hellll no!

Fast travel is a cancer. Its already fucked that we have beds to teleport around the map.  Actually, the fucked part is that anyone in company can use a bed I place, and I have no restriction on how many I can place. The only slightly fair part about it is that you travel naked.

It is 100% a bad idea to give any more power to the megas than what they are already afforded.

It should be near impossible to own and defend multiple islands. However its cake walk as long as you got beds in a hidden shack next to gear boxes. You dont even need to be near the grid and you can still magically appear and put on gear and defend. 

That is about the only reason I would quote as well. Easier for zerg to zerg everyone if they could travel faster.

Just now, gnihar said:

That is about the only reason I would quote as well. Easier for zerg to zerg everyone if they could travel faster.

Its a pretty big god damn reason though.

They (megas) aleady get;

1. Dev protection from bans.

2. Private conversations with devs.

3. Able to sway game settings to thier favor.

4. Almost every patch strengthens them. 

5. No downside to being large.

6. No upside to being small.

7. Previews others dont get.

Ffs. Limiting beds would at least give a semblance of a balance to smaller companies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Its a pretty big god damn reason though.

They (megas) aleady get;

1. Dev protection from bans.

2. Private conversations with devs.

3. Able to sway game settings to thier favor.

4. Almost every patch strengthens them. 

5. No downside to being large.

6. No upside to being small.

7. Previews others dont get.

Ffs. Limiting beds would at least give a semblance of a balance to smaller companies.

Yeah that is true. The sad part is that fast travel isn’t actually the problem. The Megas are.

but it seems like every conversation that is a bad one always ends with Megas being the problem.

these devs are really crappy in that aspect. Megas constantly go against the tos and they never do anything about it.

they really don’t have any kind of reputation that is even close to a good one.

You could maybe add wind channels, across the entire map.. say one running along the southern edge of the 4 line and 9 line and or maybe a diagonal line, where the winds were predominantly high and in the same direction, switching to opposite direction at night.  This would give the best advantage to sailing at speed.  But if you were to code for each individual ship, you'd need to calculate for ships individual weight, sail types, crew/tames etc otherwise you'd create a system very easily exploited.   It'd become basically a teleport for heavily laden slow moving ships.

And how also, would it work for pvp?

Edited by Martyn

21 minutes ago, Martyn said:

And how also, would it work for pvp?

Same as for pve. The moment you encounter a non friendly player ship, both slow down to normal mode until enough distance is between them to resume fast mode or one non friendly group is gone.

1 hour ago, gnihar said:

Same as for pve. The moment you encounter a non friendly player ship, both slow down to normal mode until enough distance is between them to resume fast mode or one non friendly group is gone.

So effectively it wouldn't be used in pvp because groups of megas could just farm people in that slipstream which still not a fan of the idea. 

Its hilarious. Some people on Atlas enjoy the most stupid things. This is a PVP sailing game. Yet everyones quit it because there is no sailing as it is so dam slow. 

Here is a pic of my experience right now. My evening is 1 hour now going 1 grid ....yay fun. There is just no need for it.

image.png

51 minutes ago, advengerkos said:

Its hilarious. Some people on Atlas enjoy the most stupid things. This is a PVP sailing game. Yet everyones quit it because there is no sailing as it is so dam slow. 

Here is a pic of my experience right now. My evening is 1 hour now going 1 grid ....yay fun. There is just no need for it.

image.png

Dude, that sucks. 1 hour for 1 grid. Yeah I am just staying on land 😂

1 hour ago, advengerkos said:

image.png

See that little wind indicator is a good sign you should be doing something else besides sailing.

There have been lots of things posted, and you are doing none of them. There is a reason the wind changes, and there is weather etc.

if you are spending 1 hour sailing 1 grid. The problem is not an in game problem bro.

You need to go upstairs and punch your mom in the face . She did a shitty job.

• Haha 2

What kind of troll are you? We enjoy sailing just not the slow speeds of it which is just not necessary. There is sub 1k players on NA PVP and big part of that is no one wants to go on the seas as its too slow.