Sign in to follow this  
NOGG

Shipwreck improvements... any opinions?

it is my belief that both the NPC shipwrecks and the player made shipwrecks need work to become a useful game element; at the moment NPC shipwrecks are literally the worst at everything; they lack valuable resources in their random cargo, they may have a low end blueprint, and usually have a handful of gold coins. when you compare these generated wrecks to the other sources of valuable loot like maps and flotsam you quickly begin to realize their uselessness. On the other hand the player shipwrecks can often have great wealth aboard, but they should still be improved to elevate salvage work into something worth doing. these are my suggestions for generally improving salvaging in general

NPC shipwrecks-

NPC ships need to be overhauled to make them a worthwhile source of resources and to become more interesting in general. the first step to this is to add more types of loot to be found on these ships; make the wrecks have the ability to support multiple loot chests throughout the ship; and add more types of loot chests themselves. things like a ship resource box filled with raw supplies like wood, metal, thatch, ect. a gold strongbox filled with...... gold? lol.... also could contain some sort of gems and crystal as well. food larders filled with advanced food items and medicine. adding these different boxes would make shipwrecks have much more value to everyone; a source of wealth, supplies, and raw supplies. my second addition to these shipwrecks would be to change the appearance of these wrecks; i'd like to see them as larger, and styled to fit the loot within them... a cargo ship shouldn't be carrying massive quantities of gold, and a warship shouldn't have a stone shipment aboard... have the general loot contained within a shipwreck make sense with the type of wreck. i'd also love to see wrecks themed after SOTD...

Player shipwrecks-

these sunken vessels can contain great wealth in gold, resources, and blueprints but it seems a waste to demo the actual structure of the wreck itself; we should be able to salvage the ship itself with some risk involved. what i'd like to see is the ability to make a floatation device that can be placed on the hull of a shipwreck... when these are attached it gives the ability to "raise" a wreck to the surface allowing us to repair and reuse sunken ships. this would have to be balanced of course give it a chance of failure depending on the quality of the floatation devices used... failing to raise a wreck could cause the ship to break apart and despawn in a few days. the ability to salvage and reuse sunken ships would become a important part of surviving well in game; nothing like attackers leaving almost free ships for you!

combinations? -

we could also use the ability to raise wrecks on NPC shipwrecks; allow us to gain certain unbuildable ship types... of cource we would have to make the NPC shipwrecks be actual ships. 

thanks for reading.... i'll be editing this based off of the replies to this thread before actually putting this into the suggestions forum.

8 hours ago, NOGG said:

NPC ships need to be overhauled to make them a worthwhile source of resources and to become more interesting in general.

Could have stopped here, waste of resources- even at 3x, kinda like the giraffe used to be.